The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Cannibal Cards Variations (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Phaedrus
View Profile
Loyal user
Mexico City
212 Posts

Profile of Phaedrus
Hello, everyone:

I would like to know how many different variations of the Cannibal Cards people here are doing. For example, in the Ammar Version, the cannibals eat each other after devouring the cards, then reappear in the center of the deck with the cards between them. In the Giobbi version in Card College, the cannibals end up turning into twos. What other effects or plots have you seen for this routine? I'm not looking for the methods, just descriptions of what happens from the spectator's point of view.

Thanks,

Phaedrus
S.Segal
View Profile
Special user
San Diego
949 Posts

Profile of S.Segal
Bill Goodwin's ever popular version has 3 cards sandwiched between the Cannibals only to be "eaten" one at a time. So, the packet starts with 4 Face Up Kings and 3 Face Down Selections, then to 4 FU Kings/ 2 FD Selections, then to 4 FU Kings/ 1 FD Selection, and ending with ONLY 4 Kings. I think this was in his "1988 Lecture Notes".

S.Segal
Gaft Card Magic Available here!
JC Wagner In Full Metal Jacket here!
simply Sydney DVD here!
thumbslinger
View Profile
Elite user
This is a good number:
458 Posts

Profile of thumbslinger
Aldo Colombini's "The Eatery" is a fast, funy and nice take on the theme. With of course, a nice little addition.
Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed and Tommy Emmanuel are all you need to study to learn to play guitar.
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1662 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Curtis Kam has the best version I've seen. The cannibals all vanish at the end.

Best,
Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
amerigo
View Profile
Veteran user
Can't believe I only have
318 Posts

Profile of amerigo
Eugene Burger has a cannibal card routine on his Magical Voyages videos volume #3
Magic is Everywhere
markhammagi
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of markhammagi
Darwin Ortiz has a version in his latest book (and DVDs) called Cannibal Holocaust. In this routine, 3 cards are feed to the cannibals, one at a time, and each time the cards vanish cleanly. At the end, the cannibals are made to "cough up" the three missing cards.

John Mendoza has a version of the cannibal cards in John verse II. In John's version, the cannibals eat two freely selected cards. However with the third selected card, the tables are turned and the third selection eats the cannibals so that you end up holding only one card.

Jean Jacques Sanvert has a version in the "Lost Pages of the Kaballa". The effect here is as follows: a card is selected, and then lost in the deck. The performer then displays four Eights as the cannibals. The cannibals then eat four cards, one after another. For the finale, the Eights are seen to change into four Kings, and the selected card is found sandwiched by the Kings.

Hope this provides you with some "food for thought".

Andy
Andy
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
1885 Posts

Profile of iamslow
Quote:
On 2005-02-07 22:10, mystre71 wrote:
Curtis Kam has the best version I've seen. The cannibals all vanish at the end.

Best,
Joe

I totally agree, this one is killer!! Also, the ending is also very different from the typical versions.
"Everyone is tough till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

Profile of Richard Shippy
Is there a video in which Curtis Kam performs his version? If so, could someone please provide the name?

Thank you,
Rich
"They say that nobody is perfect. Then they tell you practice makes perfect. I wish they'd make up their minds." ~ Winston Churchill
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
For a devastating version of the Cannibal Cards consider Stephen Minchs' "Anthropophagic Jacks". Here is the effect: Well, actually the effect alone is 2 1/2 typed pages!

Trust me though, it is an entertaining and hilarious presentation that stays true to the original Lin Searles plot (originally marketed by Owen Magic Supreme, back in the fifties!). Searles recognized the comic possibilities inherent in his brainchild, though others did not. In fact, in recent years cardmen have taken the theme and tried to adapt it to straight playing cards. Unfortunately, this limits the effect to the disappearance of a card or two or three, placed between other cards, and eliminates nearly all the comic entertainment potential in the presentation. Too bad, as the theme of cannibal cards is a naturally funny one.

In studying the problem Stephen Minch noted that gimmicked gag cards needed to be introduced to exploit the theme to its fullest potential. And, if you introduce one or two gimmicked cards, you might as well go all the way. Note: most of the above is a paraphrasing of Minch's introduction to his version of the effect and gives you some sense of what might be coming if you can get your hands on a copy of Steve's routine... Imagine skeletal Jacks, brassieres left over from cannibalized Queens, Cartoon burps, gaping mouths, cages for the cannibals, flies (yes, flies!), and more!

This is worth looking for...

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Richard, "Kamnibal Cards" appears on a very early tape of mine called "Deceptions in Paradise" and you can find it on ebay occasionally. On the tape, I'm a lot younger, but the routine was pretty mature by then. Since that time, I've added a few bits (including one gag card, which ought to make Paul happy) and reshot the routine for digital release on an upcoming DVD. (Probably "Palms of Steel 6")

It's the only routine I know of that ends with the Cannibals all suddenly vanishing, and the "Missionaries" reappearing in three different places. No lapping, no setup, and the moves are intermediate level at worst.

Thanks for the compliments, guys. A few magicians have said nice things about the routine. More use it, but aren't saying anything.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

Profile of Richard Shippy
Thank you Curtis, I look forward to purchasing your "Palms of Steel 6"!!!

Kind regards,
Rich

P.S.
Your "Palms of Steel 1" video is awesome and is one of my favorites on coin magic. I put this as a P.S. since we are in the "card" forum, but wanted to say your work is incredible! Thank you for creating memorable magic routines.
"They say that nobody is perfect. Then they tell you practice makes perfect. I wish they'd make up their minds." ~ Winston Churchill
Phaedrus
View Profile
Loyal user
Mexico City
212 Posts

Profile of Phaedrus
A sincere thank you to everyone who provided a description of the effects. I've been working on developing my own version of it, and wanted some insight into what others have done so as not to copy their work. I find it fascinating that a single premise has yielded such an enormous variety of approaches; it truly is one of the classic plots of card magic. Thanks again for proving why the Magic Café is the best magic resource in the world.
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2798 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
Marlo has a nice Cannibals routine in which the kings vanish at the end and are replaced by eights. Thus the line "They eight (ate) and eight and eight and eight." Others have used this idea with different handlings.

I think Bill Goodwin's routine (mentioned above) is brilliant albeit difficult. You see three FD cards interlaced among 4 FU kings. Then there are only 2. Then 1. Finally only 4 kings. The way cool thing is that there are only 4 cards throughout the routine! Thus no need to unload, reload etc. The counts require practice but it's worth the time for a VERY PURE routine.

Mike
IanKendall
View Profile
Special user
Edinburgh
566 Posts

Profile of IanKendall
I'm partial to Roy Walton's version Smile

Take care, Ian
Dean A
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Dean A
Quote:
On 2005-02-09 08:40, IanKendall wrote:
I'm partial to Roy Walton's version Smile

Take care, Ian

I ' second ' that. See what I did Ian?

Dean
IanKendall
View Profile
Special user
Edinburgh
566 Posts

Profile of IanKendall
Ooh, clever!

Take care, Ian
Aerie24
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Aerie24
You can read a nice variation on Canibal Cards in Pepe Carroll's "52 Amantes", reedited as "52 Amantes a traves del espejo" by Paginas spanish editorial. But you should read in spanish :S
marcjh
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
134 Posts

Profile of marcjh
Check out Juan Tamariz's version from the Lessons in Magic Series. I don't think that this is the most modern handling, but his presentation is the best.
maxrod88
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of maxrod88
Allan Ackermans Kannibal Kings is by far the best I have ever seen and once you see it you will never even think about anyone elses versions.Afew years ago was the first time I ever seen it there was video clips on a website along with a few other Ackerman miracles but The site is not working anymore.You can email Allan Ackerman and he will probabley send the clip to you.He has send me many clips in the past.
max
thecardman
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
218 Posts

Profile of thecardman
I "third" Ian's comment about Roy's Cannibal routine, but have to add that I also perform Roy's "Return of the Cannibals" from The Complete Walton, Vol. 2 - an excellent routine with a cracking kicker finish.

Best wishes

Peter
:)
My new manuscript, "The Difficult Second Album", is now available at www.thecardman.co.uk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Cannibal Cards Variations (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL