We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Using SupaLok for an escape routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
Reading through some old posts, I know that many of you are aware of my SupaLok, which is really intended for use as a mental effect.

I have been thinking of a routine for E.A's, and would welcome your ideas.

My idea is this. EA is locked with chains and a SupaLok. He is given the choice of one of 5 keys to allow him to escape. There could be a danger element or a time limit before something dangerous happens.

All the other keys are destroyed some way. If the key he has chosen doesn't work, he has failed.

(Obviously it will, the rest is play acting)

Can anyone add their own ideas to this basic idea?

As you are no doubt aware, once the lock has been opened and then relocked, ANY key will open it.
ThePartyMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
Bristol, UK
216 Posts

Profile of ThePartyMagician
Hi Mick,

As a recent purchaser of your SupaLok (and a SUPER-satisfied customer!), your idea is GREAT! I love the thinking.

I guess the main issue is...how do you make the choice of 5 keys seem DRAMATIC enough for an escape? Underwater? Burning rope? Explosives? Pirhanas in the water?!

I'd be interested to know everyone else's ideas too. Thanks for the thread Mick
Kind regards
Mike
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Mick,

I'm having trouble understanding the premise here. A psychic entertainer might use clairvoyance to discover the correct key or use mental control to compel a series of volunteers to chose the wrong ones; those are two of the possible mental presentations.

The escape artist, on the other hand, is not famous for being able to select keys, but for defeating all manner of restraints without apparent access to keys or tools.

So although the effect here involves a lock, I don't see what it has to do with the premise of an escape artist as I understand it.

Yours,

Paul
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I've been thinking that the lock could be used to fasten an ea into a cell. The one and only key is then put into a small tub with lots of other keys. For the ea to escape s/he must try and find the only key out of a hundred that opens the lock. Or the cell could be suspended and the keys are some how fired at the ea. The ea has to try and catch one or more of the keys to escape.

Just a couple of ideas that spring instantly to mind.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
I think the idea rather than being a mental one would be to use it as a kind of Russian Roulette deal,,,you know the keys are placed around the ea`s feet and he has to free himself before the truck,Bus,guided missile etc hits him,,,,,I like this approach and Moretti takes the same route with his wire,chain,sword and padlock escape only with a timer and crossbow pointed at his head.Yes in the right hands it could be a killer !!!
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
I can't remember the guys name, but this has been done on 'The Worlds scariest magic'. The EA was chained in front of a car, he holds the key for a moment to 'imprint' his mind on it, the key is dropped into a pile of other keys, the car starts driving towards him at high speed, he has only a minute or so to find the right one and get out of the way.

It was a good routine, and the car looked VERY close in the slow motion, not one to mis-time!
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
EscapeMaster
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of EscapeMaster
That was Tony Clark. Dramatic but IMHO a rubbish premise from Clark. Could have been better if the patter was sorted. I think Ian McColl is to be thanked for the little something that made that one work.
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
I didn't want to mention Ian in case it was secret, but I spotted his work Smile

Personally, I liked it overall. Yes, it lacked something in presentation. I aggree 100%, but the slow motion shot of him being within inches of getting hit sold it well.
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
Paul.....I'm glad my thread is provoking thoughts! The idea of having to find the right key and HOPING it is the right key is my premise. I have completely forgotten about mentalism in this idea, so a panic situation I think is what I am looking for.

He could (if he is a good actor) "Try" a few keys first (knowing that if he tries too hard, the lock will open)Then,when failure is almost upon him he "miraculousy" gets the right key just in time.

I think that would work.
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
I just read David Strightjacket's posting with great interest. When someone says the words..."chained to a car"...my mind goes back to when I first saw Steve Baker...chained to a car while another was speeding towards him and Mr.Escape jumped out of the way in the nick of time. Steve just didn't have one wrist chained...it was both wrists AND his ankles chained....not to shabby, I'd say.

Oh sure, sure, we in magic and escapes have a tendancy to "***ize" Houdini's escapes and put our own touch to it...but to take an absoluteldy amazing escape like Baker's "Race of death" and just rip it off and butcher it with a tricked lock and add mentalism of all things, to it, especially when Steve Baker is alive and well and watches this noise on TV.

It's just like taking the Mona Lisa and putting it into a plastic frame with non-glare glass over it.

Baker dosen't need a tricked lock...he just needs Baker.

It's just my thought.

You other guys have come up with some really good stuff...I especially liked Ros's idea about the jail cell.

~Rick~
Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
Rick,

Thanks for your comments and support,by the way it's "DEATH RACE"

I performed it twice on national tv and once on my HBO special,and
12 more times in live Thrill shows.... no cuts or camera tricks!
I'll put any one of my 15 against the poorley done imitation mentioned!
If your going to copy something,at least do it well!!

JUST MY OPINION!!

I like Kondini,Roslyn,and Micks ideas! Good Thinking,original!!

Steve Baker
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
"Duh me"...sorry, sir..it was a long time ago, lol!

Rick.
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
How about after an escape, supposedly training a spectator to have the right mind set for escapology, Chain them up and have a whole bunch of keys and from one end of the stage talk them through keeping calm even though the pannick starts to set in. Keep talking them through as the key is dropped in with a whole bunch of keys and the Spectator has to escape before explosion, gunshot, etc. This will be a really exciting moment for Spectator and audience as a beginner, which your guidance, has to escape a death defying situation.

The Superlok would work well for this.

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
And have the spec. blown up and to reappear from a different part of the stage.
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Magic, Mentalism and Escapology in one.
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
The facts are there for
all to see in my very own video footage of Death Race... I'm chained spred-eageled to the
side of a station wagon,which has 100 pounds of explosives set to go off on
impact....The impact is a car going 60 mph to its target,Me being the target!!
I have 10 seconds to escape,move away from impact area or DIE!!!
I escaped 15 times at the LAST SPLIT SECOND!!! 15 TIMES

Steve Baker
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Mr.Baker...it dosen't matter if you had your wrists tied with sewing thread to that car...the point is you have the "kahoonas" to lean against a vehicle loaded to the hilt with explosives and a 2 ton vehicle come speeding at you at 50-60 mph , all taking place on NATIONAL TELEVISION!! I would have been puking my guts out at just the thought of the TV camera there trained on me.

Mr.Baker...you are the measuring stick for all of us lesser mortal EA's, please don't ever feel you have to "explain" ANYTHING.
~Rick~
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I can see working something with the supa-lok into a act.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
And that something is.....................?
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
CARNEGIE
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of CARNEGIE
Steve,

Death Race is my favorite video to show magicians and non magicians of what an escape can look like when don't well. I laugh at how many folks have had that sudden gasp at the last second when it looks like you are going to get creamed by the car even though you jumped out of the way. And the typical repsonse afterwards is, "that was incredible, that guy is crazy!".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Using SupaLok for an escape routine (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL