The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Review on Ted Lesley 's Marked Deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5525 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2005-02-10 00:46, MagicMan1957 wrote:
I;ll bet if we asked Bill Malone, Lennart Green, Jay Sankey, Jamy Ian Swiss, Max Maven, Eugene Burger etc etc how often people ask to CLOSELY EXAMINE thier cards after performing the answer would be rarely.

....but whenever I perform, they (spectators) always ask me to show the cards (to each and every one) BEFORE, DURING & AFTER the performance. They just don't TRUST ME!!! Smile

....I think it depends on WHO's PERFORMING for WHOM Smile Smile

Smile

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
689 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
There are many other kinds of gimmicks which would be noticed even by a lay audience if it weren't for misdirection. The misdirection I use when I perform any effect is (1) I look directly at an individual's eyes when performing close-up one on one. This is a strong misdirection. (2)For more than one person, or for parlor or stage, I use humor. When people are laughing, they are not as observant. This even works when you perform for magicians who instinctively "burn your hands". Lay audiences are totally different. I have never been "caught" using the Lesley deck and I feel confident that I never will. My favorite card magic, though, is when I use a straight deck (even a borrowed deck) and perform using nothing but slight of hand and misdirection. The audience can look forever, then, and never find a gimmick. I still use the humor and eye contact, though, so any 'moves' are hidden. Hey, this is why magic is an art-form.
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
Comedy and then the magic
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles, CA
65 Posts

Profile of Comedy and then the magic
I'll tell ya what guys, The Ted Lesley system is great.... BUT........ The Boris Wild Marked Deck (A ripoff of the lesley one) is bloody brilliant, it almost identical to the lesley deck, except the marking for the court cards and aces are a lot easier to read. And seriosuly I go with everyone here that when someone first showed me the lesley deck I sat thee for 15 minutes trying to figure out where these marking were. I had NO CLUE. I have fooled soo many magicians and laymen with the lesley deck and the wild deck. Ive used em for about 5 years now.
"Always Make It Magic Plus Laughs" - R.I.P. Mark Hendrickson
rayg1952
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of rayg1952
ComedyAndThenTheMagic

You said you sat there for 15 minutes and didn't see any markings was the deck premade or was the markings but on by that person with a Do-It-yourself marking kit, did that person finality tell you were the markings were and if so where were they located at. On my premade deck when the marking are in the upright position they are located off center to the left and the markings are out in the open not hidden or disuise or camouflage kind of sticking out like a sore thumb or like their staring right at you, were not talking about weird strange or off the wall markings here.

At this point I'm wondering if the deck that I have is bad.

ComedyAndThenTheMagic you think I can PM you a picture of one of my marked cards and tell me if you can see the markings. Or if the markings should not be where there at. Or for that matter anyone else.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3018 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Actually, it sounds like your cards are marked exactly where they are supposed to be. Myself, I find it hard to believe that someone could actually be looking for marks on the back of the cards for 15 minutes and not see them. I had my 11 year old son look at the back of the cards and asked him if he saw anything unusual and it took him about 12 seconds to say "what is this "K" and "C" ?

Don't get me wrong, I use this deck, and I like it. Havent been caught yet, as I just ring it in and out of my performance as needed, I don't use it exclusively. And I don't think spectators will notice the marks at all. But it is a little hard to believe when I hear Magicians say that they had their fellow Magician friends look and look and could not find the marks!
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
Ted Lesley even marketed a Jumbo version. Try it first for real people.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24207 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2005-02-10 18:12, Comedy and then the magic wrote:
I'll tell ya what guys, The Ted Lesley system is great.... BUT........ The Boris Wild Marked Deck (A ripoff of the lesley one) is bloody brilliant, it almost identical to the lesley deck, except the marking for the court cards and aces are a lot easier to read. And seriosuly I go with everyone here that when someone first showed me the lesley deck I sat thee for 15 minutes trying to figure out where these marking were. I had NO CLUE. I have fooled soo many magicians and laymen with the lesley deck and the wild deck. Ive used em for about 5 years now.

The Boris Wild system is not actually a ripoff of the Lesley system. Ted is paid a royalty from Boris for each deck that he produces. He produces these cards with Ted's permission. I can't use the Wild system in my normal work, because I can't see the markings. But I have severe visual problems. A person with normal vision can use them.

I have been using the Lesley system for over 20 years, probably longer than anyone else on this forum. The only time I have ever been burned while using it is with a child. Children notice things adults don't. I did have one magician spot it, but he was familiar with the system.

For you fellows whose audiences are prone to grab the deck and fondle it, then you have a serious audience management problem. You need to learn how to handle your spectators. Part of it is self confidence. Another part is what we term "establishing boundaries." If you treat the cards casually, but treat the things you work with respectfully, people will not try to grab them.

If you can't control your audience, then you need to resort to a good deck switch. It doesn't have to be invisible. It can be done casually. You need to set it up way ahead of time.

Here is one technique. Do a trick with a normal deck. But remove the jokers from the deck before you hand it to a spectator to have them shuffle or handle the cards. At the end of the trick, put the jokers on the face of the deck -- quite openly, and place the deck back into the case. Put the cards aside, to your left, for example. While you are doing your next trick, or right before you start it, move the deck from your left to your right, as you bring out your props. Switch in the marked deck as you move the cards. The marked deck will have the jokers on the face of it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3018 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
That is a great idea on a deck switch Bill. A great way to reinforce the idea that it is the same deck, but in such a subtle way. I like it.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24207 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I used something similar to ring in a Devano deck.

I thought I would be nice and share it!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
730 Posts

Profile of David Regal
I wasn't going to post on this thread, but then I felt compelled. Ray, you are right to go "What the hell..." when you looked at a Lesley deck for the first time. EVERYONE who sees the marks on a Lesley deck for the first time goes "What the hell..." It seems absolutely nuts (can you say "hell" on this site?). That said, I honestly think the Lesley deck is genius.

I recently reviewed a card marking system in the context of a book review for Genii, yet to be published. I didn't like it, and made the point that the truest "tell" that a magician is using marked cards is the manner in which he looks at the backs: the magician’s eyes are often in the wrong place, at the wrong moment, for too long a time. That's what alerts an audience to the fact that marked cards are being used – not because they see marks. The Lesley system allows those "tells" to vanish, and this can be exploited. I've seen many people/magicians fooled over the years, but never more so than by crafty use of the Lesley deck. Ray, you are right to think the marks are obvious - they are - but the breakthrough of Lesley's system was the discovery that obvious marks can be invisible to spectators. Ray, you are also right to think they can't work - this is what any thinking person would assume. Lesley surprised the magical world when he proved that the marks would not be seen in the context of a magical or mental effect. Don't toss out the deck! I'm sure many would prefer if you did, as the deck can be such a powerful professional tool and is the kind of thing that should not be exposed. Keep the secret and learn to use it, and it will pay dividends. The fact that it seems, at first, unglamorous, is meaningless - it's what you do with it. I've seen people look down their nose at a thumb tip (remember how obvious THAT thing was the first time it was exposed to you?), and seen pros do ten minutes of great magic with it.

I am glad to hear that Lesley and Boris Wild have reached an agreement, for I know that there was a time Mr. Lesley was upset with the state of affairs.
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
730 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Oh, and as far as deck switches go, try "forgetting" to tuck in the flap on the case of the deck being switched out, as well as the case of the one being switched in.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5525 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2005-02-12 10:50, David Regal wrote:
...I honestly think the Lesley deck is genius.

...the truest "tell" that a magician is using marked cards is the manner in which he looks at the backs: the magician’s eyes are often in the wrong place, at the wrong moment, for too long a time. That's what alerts an audience to the fact that marked cards are being used – not because they see marks. The Lesley system allows those "tells" to vanish, and this can be exploited.

Very well said, David.

That's exactly THE point!

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3018 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I noticed something....a friend bought a deck of cards with the Ted Lesley Marking system already done (verses buying the kit and doing it yourself). His markings are considerably smaller than mine (which I marked myself). I actually like his markings better, still very visible, but a tad bit more deceptive. Anybody else notice this, or is his deck just a fluke?
caseman
View Profile
New user
Greensboro, NC
56 Posts

Profile of caseman
I have been using Boris Wild's version and have fried both laypeople as well as magicians. BTW so has Boris. He fried me at a 4F convention a few years ago and I bought his book just to learn the method. ( What can I say?) His routines are also so well thought out that you won't spend but a split second looking at the deck, and there are several routines where the spectator has the feeling that you never looked! I can only give it my highest recommendation and tell you that it is simply the best! His version is like having X-ray vision. I tortured a fellow magi friend one day for several hours before letting him in on it. He was furious! Then he bought the book and is now fooling the heck out of people as well. Give it a try. On second thought, don't consider it. Just kidding. One distinct difference in the Wild version is that the markings can be read from a normal table spread. An asset to the working pro. Hope this helps. Have a good one.
"Don't forget the ACES"
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
Quote:
On 2005-02-14 16:32, rowdymagi5 wrote:
I noticed something....a friend bought a deck of cards with the Ted Lesley Marking system already done (verses buying the kit and doing it yourself). His markings are considerably smaller than mine (which I marked myself). I actually like his markings better, still very visible, but a tad bit more deceptive. Anybody else notice this, or is his deck just a fluke?

I've bought the marking material and made my own decks, and I've always gotten the smaller markings. I got an older sheet in an online auction, and the markings on that sheet were bigger. So, I think they used to have a bigger size, but I believe that now all of the markings that are produced today are the smaller size, which I like better anyway.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
You also might consider rereading Sid Fleischman's The Charlatan's Handbook for a DIY method that allows you more personal control over the markings.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello:

Anyone who has the "Ellis in Wonderland" DVD can pick up some nice touches with the Ted Lesley deck by watching the "Jazz Cards" segment. I thought Ellis' touches were just excellent.

I have the Boris Wild video/book and system and have found it hard to see, even with repeated practice. Maybe my eyes aren't as good as they once were. His routines and thinking are superb, though.

Ron
gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
Rayg1952:

There are two books on marked cards that I would suggest. Both books are soft bound and inexpensive. They are:

Marked for Life by Kirk Charles
Hidden in Plain Sight by Kirk Charles

I believe that the Marked for Life book as information about the Ted Lesley's Marked Deck system. The Hidden in Plain Sight book includes a special section on the Boris Wild Marked Deck.
"Confusion is not magic."
Dai Vernon
StephenP
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of StephenP
Does anyone know where to find the Lesley Marked Deck or book now?
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10392 Posts

Profile of saysold1
This new book for the "Ultimate Marked Deck" also looks interesting...

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=S12214
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Review on Ted Lesley 's Marked Deck (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL