The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Review on Ted Lesley 's Marked Deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
828 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Oh, and as far as deck switches go, try "forgetting" to tuck in the flap on the case of the deck being switched out, as well as the case of the one being switched in.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2005-02-12 10:50, David Regal wrote:
...I honestly think the Lesley deck is genius.

...the truest "tell" that a magician is using marked cards is the manner in which he looks at the backs: the magician’s eyes are often in the wrong place, at the wrong moment, for too long a time. That's what alerts an audience to the fact that marked cards are being used – not because they see marks. The Lesley system allows those "tells" to vanish, and this can be exploited.

Very well said, David.

That's exactly THE point!

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3623 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I noticed something....a friend bought a deck of cards with the Ted Lesley Marking system already done (verses buying the kit and doing it yourself). His markings are considerably smaller than mine (which I marked myself). I actually like his markings better, still very visible, but a tad bit more deceptive. Anybody else notice this, or is his deck just a fluke?
caseman
View Profile
New user
Greensboro, NC
56 Posts

Profile of caseman
I have been using Boris Wild's version and have fried both laypeople as well as magicians. BTW so has Boris. He fried me at a 4F convention a few years ago and I bought his book just to learn the method. ( What can I say?) His routines are also so well thought out that you won't spend but a split second looking at the deck, and there are several routines where the spectator has the feeling that you never looked! I can only give it my highest recommendation and tell you that it is simply the best! His version is like having X-ray vision. I tortured a fellow magi friend one day for several hours before letting him in on it. He was furious! Then he bought the book and is now fooling the heck out of people as well. Give it a try. On second thought, don't consider it. Just kidding. One distinct difference in the Wild version is that the markings can be read from a normal table spread. An asset to the working pro. Hope this helps. Have a good one.
"Don't forget the ACES"
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
Quote:
On 2005-02-14 16:32, rowdymagi5 wrote:
I noticed something....a friend bought a deck of cards with the Ted Lesley Marking system already done (verses buying the kit and doing it yourself). His markings are considerably smaller than mine (which I marked myself). I actually like his markings better, still very visible, but a tad bit more deceptive. Anybody else notice this, or is his deck just a fluke?

I've bought the marking material and made my own decks, and I've always gotten the smaller markings. I got an older sheet in an online auction, and the markings on that sheet were bigger. So, I think they used to have a bigger size, but I believe that now all of the markings that are produced today are the smaller size, which I like better anyway.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
You also might consider rereading Sid Fleischman's The Charlatan's Handbook for a DIY method that allows you more personal control over the markings.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello:

Anyone who has the "Ellis in Wonderland" DVD can pick up some nice touches with the Ted Lesley deck by watching the "Jazz Cards" segment. I thought Ellis' touches were just excellent.

I have the Boris Wild video/book and system and have found it hard to see, even with repeated practice. Maybe my eyes aren't as good as they once were. His routines and thinking are superb, though.

Ron
gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
Rayg1952:

There are two books on marked cards that I would suggest. Both books are soft bound and inexpensive. They are:

Marked for Life by Kirk Charles
Hidden in Plain Sight by Kirk Charles

I believe that the Marked for Life book as information about the Ted Lesley's Marked Deck system. The Hidden in Plain Sight book includes a special section on the Boris Wild Marked Deck.
"Confusion is not magic."
Dai Vernon
StephenP
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of StephenP
Does anyone know where to find the Lesley Marked Deck or book now?
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
This new book for the "Ultimate Marked Deck" also looks interesting...

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=S12214
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Quote:
On 2010-11-18 23:54, StephenP wrote:
Does anyone know where to find the Lesley Marked Deck or book now?

You make up the deck yourself-
http://www.lybrary.com/lesleys-working-p......241.html

Mike
StephenP
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of StephenP
UMD does look interesting. And thank you, Michael!
Wizard
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden
142 Posts

Profile of Wizard
In my humble opinion ist the best marked deck up to now the "Phoenix-deck-marked-deck-card-shark.This deck is a combination between Ted Lesley´s and Card Sharks systems.

http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/full/accesso......7872.htm
FINIS CORONAT OPUS
PWRIS
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of PWRIS
I have bee using the TL Deck for years and have never been caught. I also use the Boris Marked deck but in all honesty the lighting has to be right. I remember one time doing a couple of effects for friends at a Dinner Party, the lighting was low (dinner style) and I just could not read the Boris deck, after a while my friend asked me "are they marked!" I went into the bedroom and changed them for the TL Deck and continued I ended up with The Working Performer´s Card Stab from the Ted Lesley DVD Caberet Mindreading and yes he got to keep the Marked Signed card !! Going back to the begining of this thread (2005)I assume that the deck was returned Smile however the above just goes to prove that we think differently to the lay public. For me it´s Teds deck all the way. Paul
Paul W. Randall
"Englishman in Germany"
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2010-11-20 18:11, StephenP wrote:
UMD does look interesting. And thank you, Michael!

There is a companion book for Ultimate Marked Deck and a review can be found here:
http://sexymagicreviews.wordpress.com/20......laplaud/

I'm a huge fan of Cardshark's Phoenix decks and you would not be disappointed with his MD or S.U.M. - great stuff.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
I would add another plug for the Lesley system. I have made a number of decks over the years and it is consistently my marked deck of choice. I agree with PWRIS that the professionaly printed Boris Wild marked deck is difficult to read in low light. I have made my own using the Lesley material with better results. I recently picked up the Phoniex deck, the design is great but again I find the marks a little tougher to read than my Lesley deck. I have also tried the Dekram deck and the Demon Deck from Lee Earle.

I have not had a chance to the look at the Ultimate marked deck but will. I would prefer to find a pre-marked deck that I like as much as my homemade Lesley's.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Talbot, I second every item in your post.

I don't mind making up a Lesley deck...but I would Llove it they could be had ready-made (printed with the markings), a la the Phoenix Deck...
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Max Krause
View Profile
V.I.P.
I should be creating magic with my
1188 Posts

Profile of Max Krause
Quote:
On 2011-07-01 15:28, Chessmann wrote:
Talbot, I second every item in your post.

I don't mind making up a Lesley deck...but I would Llove it they could be had ready-made (printed with the markings), a la the Phoenix Deck...

ME TOO!!!!
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Smile
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Chessmann, Max,

There IS such a deck currently on the market. Called the "DeKram" deck it is available from Magic Masters for $29 plus s+h. The only problem (depending on one's point of view about such things) is that it does NOT have a "standard" (e.g., Bicycle, Bee or Tally Ho) back design; however, offsetting that possible disadvantage is the fact the the location of the marks is less obvious than in the regular Lesley system.
Dick Christian
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Review on Ted Lesley 's Marked Deck (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL