The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » 8 Card Brainwave - Olram question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
I am considering bringing this into a party routine as an 'experiment' to see if my spectator is 'in-tune' with me. However, when practicing it, I cannot help thinking that the Olram Subtelty is just not convincing enough when showing 'seven' same colour backs. After revealing the 'odd' colour selected card, I then follow up with a Hamman Count to reiterate the 'seven' same colour backs - although I know that this is not necessary - it just reinforces.

Anyway, I played it to two friends. One saw through the Olram straight away (but was polite enough not to say anything until later) The other, was amazed after thinking that I had mentally forced one of the cards on her by mentioning seven of them and not the other - (I wish I had but that was just a coincidence!)

Any thoughts?

Roger
dcobbs
View Profile
New user
Portsmouth, England
33 Posts

Profile of dcobbs
I use eight card brainwave all the time and have never had an issue with the Olram Subtelty. But maybe too much attention is being drawn to it? Most magicians when they show seven cards with a false count will actually count out loud "1, 2, 3.." and so on, but the way they are 'counting' doesn't look like how a real person would count cards.

When I do it I treat it as a casual display and don't say "look 7 red backed cards". I just say 'you could have taken any of these' and display the 7 cards using Olram, I don't even bother to mention how many there are. Then I ask 'what do all those have in common?' and then reveal that they picked the odd backed card.

Also I'd try dropping the Hamman count. There comes a point where you are over-proving what you have. If you were to really show me 7 red backed cards, you wouldn't count them out twice.

Does any of that help?
Magically yours,

Daniel Cobbs.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Try Daryl's Eight Card Brainwave 2000. It's in his New Millennium World Tour Lecture Notes. I love it!!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Dcobbs

Couldn't agree with you more. Especially with regard to the Hamman Count at the end. I would only use that if they, perhaps, wanted 'another look' at the cards. (To save them potentially reaching for them.)

Actually, I have just run through it with the Missus (who knows a few moves herself - so to speak Smile ) and she was impressed with it. I actually made the point to her that the final Hamman isn't really necessary and she, like you, said, "Don't bring attention to how many cards are actually there."

I like the "in common" bit too - thanks, I'll have to 'steal' that! Smile

Useful reply - thanks.

Any more thoughts out there?

Roger

Chris,

I've heard that the 2000 version plays well. Can you run through the effect without 'giving it away'?

Are the lecture notes available?

Roger
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
The lecture norte are available. http://www.foolerdoolers.com/store/products.asp?category=10

It's the classic Brainwave effect, with Daryl's fooler dooler handling. It's about $20. If you prefer learning from video, it's on tthe video of the same name.

Chop chop!!!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Thanks Chris - I'll have a gander!
bg
View Profile
Veteran user
Indy
313 Posts

Profile of bg
I do it the way Ammar teaches in ETMCM vol.1 and I've never been questioned on the cards and I finish with the cards laying on the table and the've never been grabbed.

I think the key is to be talking to the spec about how it would be impossible for you to know their seletion and at the same time do the Olram but don't bring attention to it.

I think with the right prsentation this is almost fool proof.

Hope this helps.

Brian
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Cheers Brian
gandalf
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
310 Posts

Profile of gandalf
I agree with Brian, and also do mine the way Michael Ammar presents it. It then leads nicely into Red Hot Mamma or Double Vision (by jbtv.co.uk)
I really don;t try drawing attention to the seven cards I'm sowing the backs of. People love it! I use the 7th card to flip over the selected one, which creates great impact.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Don't do Hamman Count anyway. If audience is astonished when they saw the odd card, you don't need to prove anything. If audience is not astonished and has suspicion on 7 cards, Hamman Count would enhance the suspicion.

BTW, how can you do Hamman Count after doing Olram Subtlety?

Hideo Kato
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5023 Posts

Profile of landmark
I've done Brainwave with all blue back cards but 4 of them have X's on them. That version plays very nicely also. No need for the Hamman count.

Jack Shalom
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2005-02-12 06:21, MagicChris wrote:
Try Daryl's Eight Card Brainwave 2000.

I disagree. I disagree ONLY because I look at the effect from a mentalist's point of view. Daryl's handling is great for a magician, but if you are playing this as a piece of mentalism, avoid this handling like the plague. Smile
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
The Olram is one of those moves that needs to be done with an inner confidence but an outter nonchalance (sp?). The move needs to be as casual as if you were really showing all the cards to be the same back color. I know I'm not saying anything ground-breaking here, but I think the outward attitude of the performer is absolutely key here. Moves like this require a certain type of approach. This is very much like a Flustration count or a good top palm. You must go into it knowing how it needs to look to the spec. And you must execute it with such an attitude.

A little cajones goes a long way!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Quote:

BTW, how can you do Hamman Count after doing Olram Subtlety?

Hideo Kato

Wise words Hideo-san - thank you.

As for the Hamman Count after doing the Olram Subtelty: Lets say the selected card was a blue-backer and you perform the Olram Subtelty to show red backs. If you place the cards face up in two piles whilst 'doing the Olram' - the last card scoops up the left hand pile. You then turn this packet face down - red back now showing thereby concealing the blue backs. You then place the right hand pile (red backs) one by one face down on the face down packet. The set up would now be blue, blue, blue, red, red, red, red from the bottom up. A Hamman Count here would reinforce the seven reds. But ONLY as a 'back-up' as has previously been mentioned.

RK

Reis: I like your thinking!
chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
I agree about what was said concerning Brainwave 2000. It does not play as a mentalism effect. But Daryl does add some subtleties to the Olram that make it more convincing, without overselling the effect. Depending on how you use his subtlety, you could go into the Hamman Count (which I don't suggest.)
Chris
magicandrew
View Profile
New user
Australia
58 Posts

Profile of magicandrew
Sounds like a good effect. but would I just use it as apacket trick?
""Magic is your art handle it well""
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Cardiac Arrest-san, I had guessed you would do Olram Subtlety like that. Although I can't explaint the reason, I think that handling weaken the Olram Subtlety itself.

Hideo Kato
flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
I'm not sure I can get into the mind of a "mentalist"--impenetrable as it certainly must be. However, I have found from a pure entertainment standpoint, Daryl's handling is terrific and always gets a good response. In addition, effect aside, you've got to like Daryl when he is presenting these effects. Nobody seems to enjoy them more than himself.

Flimnar
"This one goes to eleven..." Nigel Tufnel
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Hideo-san - Do you actually 'read' the posts. I would ONLY use the Hamman as reinforcing 'back-up' if the situatiuon demands it. Smile
gandalf
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
310 Posts

Profile of gandalf
I use to do my Brainwave routine with Red and Blue cards, but changed the blue for green. I didn;t change the trick at all, but the addition of the green cards seems to make this trick even more successful for me
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » 8 Card Brainwave - Olram question (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL