The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Favourite packet trick for beginers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
When I was starting out in magic, the packet tricks that works very well for me and still are my fav. tricks - Lethal Tender, Impossible Matrix by John Kennedy, and Magic Stop Light Cards.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
I used to like the Nick trost Twisting the Aces, but now I can do it with ungimicked cards and I like that even better. So my all time favorite packet trick would have to be Wild Card, not only is it visual but there is a certain logic as to why one would have a small packet of cards as opposed to using a few cards from a deck.

I also enjoy performing MIKO but that is not technically a packet trick.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Wild Card
Color Monte
Acrobatic Aces (using that "extra something special")
The Last Trick of Dr. Jacob Daley
Don Alan's Twick As Lovely As A Twee
Twisting the Aces (Vernon)

Although I consider that last one a bit advanced for the beginning card magician...

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Chris Miller
View Profile
Loyal user
Rochester, NY
243 Posts

Profile of Chris Miller
As many have recommended, you'll get the best mileage as a beginner with Color Monte. If you are working your way into the Elmsley Count, then go for Twisted Sisters. The multiple surprises are great. NFW is nice, but personally, I don't like what you have to do to reset. Another good Elmsley packet trick is Eye Test from Danny Archer.

Chris
maiglesias
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of maiglesias
B'Wave gets my vote. It's easy to perform and packs a wallop! You will use it for a long time and if you do parlor magic you can use the Jumbo version.
Marcos Iglesias MD
milamber
View Profile
Regular user
So. Cal
128 Posts

Profile of milamber
I like "MacDonald's Aces" as it was my first packet trick and "A Dream of Aces" (different handling of MacDonald's Aces by Gary Ouellet).
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
The problem I have had with packet card tricks over the years is the memory of the set ups and all the different counts that the magician has to remember. Plus counts that reverse the packets order etc.

I like color Monte and wild card. The reason is that the set ups for them are easy to remember. Easy to get ready. And the effects are strong and very entertaining for the lay audience.

Wild card was my opening effect with cards for many years because the plot was simple. And the magic effect for it was very strong!
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Shnarker
View Profile
New user
Pittsburgh, PA
89 Posts

Profile of Shnarker
Ah yes, Color Monte. I am very fond of this, as it was my first packet trick I purchased. It certainly helped teach presentation/storyline skills, along with some handling. I still use it....it does slay.

NFW is a bit more advanced, but is sooo worth the effort.

I have purchased others, but these two stand up to the test of time, imo.
Essie
View Profile
Loyal user
Boulder, CO
278 Posts

Profile of Essie
I've always liked Color Monte, especially since you end completely clean. Also, the few times I do this effect (or anything involving three card monte), I like to "explain" it afterwards with Larry Jennings Close-Up Illusion. Basically, it's a three card monte effect using two blue-backed cards and one red one where the spectators can visibly see the card moving from bottom to middle or vice-versa. I think it's on the ETMCM series, but I can't remember for sure.
"Comfort the disturbed, disturb the comfortable."
-Jeff McBride
Joe Stone
View Profile
New user
Wood Green, London, UK
61 Posts

Profile of Joe Stone
Start with Color Monte, then move on to NFW - you can't go wrong!
Airborne Ranger
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Airborne Ranger
Twisting the Aces gets my vote.
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
I am a beginner, and Nick Trost's Eight Card Brainwave, as described on Michael Ammar's Easy To Master Card Miracles Vol 1 gets my vote. The moves are simple, the cards ungaffed, and it's very visual.

Your spectator thinks of a card from an 8 card packet and names it. You put it to one side. You then show that the rest of the packet all came from a single pack by showing the backs. The one card that your spectator thought of is then turned over and is seen to have a contrasting colored back.
landon
View Profile
Regular user
Alberta, Canada
158 Posts

Profile of landon
My favorite packet tricks that I own are Michael Skinner's Ultimate 3 Card Monte and NFW. Both have given me great reactions whenever I perform them. They even fooled my Mom, who is rarely fooled by magic tricks anymore. Both of these tricks are relatively easy for beginners and are resonably priced. The only problem with 3 card monte is that it almost looks to perfect but that's why it leaves people stunned! I especially like Bill Malone's presentation of this effect. If you don't already have these tricks, I'd recommend getting them if you are looking for hard hitting packet tricks.
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
Because it seemed such a popular packet trick here, I purchased Color Monte a few days ago. I love it. It has great built-in patter, it is not gaffed at all and is very visual. You'll learn a couple of useful sleights.

I did find the written instructions appalling! I remember seeing a message where someone was praising the "concise" instructions. I found them too brief for a beginner, especially as there were no diagrams. There are only two sleights involved, and they're pretty easy to do, but they are difficult to visualize without the assistance of pictures. Fortunately, I bought my copy from MJM Magic, and the short teaching video clip you get access to (from Café member Jeff Mash) was extremely helpful. I might have relegated CM to the "junk drawer" otherwise.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1297 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Another really good packet trick is Patrick Paige's 3 card trick. I don't know how or where to find it now. If someone knows, please post a website or something.
But it is a very good 3 card monte type of effect that really throws those off that think they know the method after the first couple of moves.
It's a nice routine and it can be home made using bicycle cards but I would recommend purchasing it if you can find it. It comes with a video and the cards but if I remember correctly the cards are not bicycle stock.
Just another suggestion to consider.
I used to carry this around all the time and really enjoyed performing it.
Oh, and thanks Vinny, I mean Godfather! for introducing me to this wonderful effect!

Later,

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
pb149
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of pb149
One of good at my favourites is Kings to Aces - very easy to do but quite good at keeping people guessing if done correctly
Alan M
View Profile
Elite user
California
414 Posts

Profile of Alan M
Not for beginners - but a killer packet trick is Cardboard Chamelions by Daryl. The documentation spells out the slights quite nicely and you will learn some good false counts from the routine. The trick is quite involved which, in my opinion, makes the routining harder than the slights. The slights themselves are not so tough if you put in some time. Again, this is one to aspire to, but well worth the challenge.
Brillus
View Profile
New user
Italy
73 Posts

Profile of Brillus
"The web" is very easy to do and has a great impact
jack_is_dead
View Profile
Regular user
japan
173 Posts

Profile of jack_is_dead
Michael skinners ultimate 3 card monte!!!!8 card brainwave..card warp..factory misprints..somehow I find these are the ones that gets me great reactions..
one eyed man is the king in the blind land
Small-hands Luke
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Small-hands Luke
I have to echo everyone who's said 9 card brainwave. The sleight is very easy and it's amazingly deceptive. Good for building confidence if you're the kind of person who worries about getting caught.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Favourite packet trick for beginers (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL