The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Favourite packet trick for beginers (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Jailhouse Jonny
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Jailhouse Jonny
I don't think the WEB is a good one for beginners. You will have to find the move described in the instruction in another source. It's not a nuckle buster move, and not as common as a double lift, but can be fustrating when get an item and can't use it right out of the package.
HiraseMagic
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong
573 Posts

Profile of HiraseMagic
Quote:
On 2005-02-14 14:04, Paul wrote:
Before buying any more packet tricks I'd suggest waiting a few weeks then trying to pick up a copy of my book "Small But Deadly" a book all about packet tricks. It is just being reprinted by H & R Books in Texas. It was reviewed here by a few people when if first got released and soon went out of print.

It'll save you money in the long run by being aware of exactly what is out there and best versions of plots, plus, of course, there are some excellent routines in there fully described for you to do also.

A great reference book for all cardicians, and a fun read too!:)

Paul.

Paul,

Can I get the book directly from you with your autograph on it?

Thanks,
Hirase
In love with magic!
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
@ acmp

If you want, you can see videos of most of the tricks mentioned here on http://www.penguinmagic.com

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
acmp
View Profile
Elite user
Nottinghamshire
466 Posts

Profile of acmp
Calexa,

Thanks for that, I do surf enguin from time to time, but I k=never know what to look for, or what's any good. That's why I like this forum so much.
acmp<><

"Well if I had one wish in this god forsaken world, kids
It'd be that your mistakes would be your own"
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
If I was going to suggest a packet trick for beginners, I would suggest Michael Skinner's "Ultimate Monte" first, and maybe Color Monte. Anything that requires an Elmsley count or Hamman count is going to take a lot of practice...DL's and Elmsley's must be done right and with a smooth action, or it's a throw-away. Twisted Sisters, The Web, NFW, and Twisting, all require an Elmsley. A good count to learn, though. Try finding the book by Mentzer...Counts, Cuts, Moves & Subtlety 1977/1988...

Hope this helps a bit! Smile

Doug
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Harold Catequet came out with a cool little packet effect called Ultimonte a couple years ago. It's very visual.
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
I would say, 8 card brainwave, dr daleys last trick, color monte, and factory misprints off of one of the Ammar ETMCM videos
magical65stang
View Profile
New user
Turlock, CA
73 Posts

Profile of magical65stang
I have never seen Color Monte so maybe what I am suggesting is the same. I use King's Monte sold by Steve Johnson at http://www.grandillusions.com and this has killed people. By far the best packet trick I use and it ends clean. NFW is a great effect and on the other side of the packet it comes in I alway keep the setup for Paul Harris's Bizarre Twist. Since I have to pull out a special wallet I like to keep non gaffed cards with NFW so I can hand out something. People in the restaurant don't trust it when I pull something new out of my pocket. just my two cents, good luck!

CORRECTION: It is called Hustlers Monte and their is a demo too check it out and let me know what you think, thanks.
"I'm not a liar, you just don't see the truth."
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
Thought I'd add Sankey's In A Flash to the list.

-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
Sean
View Profile
Loyal user
No Cal
205 Posts

Profile of Sean
Color Monte and Hustler's Monte are similar but very different. Color Monte uses three cards and a great story. Hustler's Monte uses four cards, a wallet, a paperclip, and a great story. It's a bit more involved, but I've seen Steve demo it many times and it's a great effect. All you need to know for is (if I remember correctly) is the Elmsley Count.
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
I don´t think that an Elmsley Count is too complicated - and one must bear in mind that this is a very universal move, you can use it in many effects. So it a good thing to learn in early.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Aubrey_T
View Profile
Regular user
Paso Robles
175 Posts

Profile of Aubrey_T
Color Monte for gaffed packet trick. Vernon's twisting the aces or Dr. Daley's Last card trick for normal cards.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I'd suggest Lethal Tender and Jay Sankey's Dough to add to your pocket tricks list. LT is easy to do and fit nicely in your pants pocket. The spectator visbly see the coin changes place right in his/her own hand. I also love Dough - a pencil and sticky note thru dollar bill trick. However, I believe Misled is a much better pen thru dollar trick than Dough.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
acmp
View Profile
Elite user
Nottinghamshire
466 Posts

Profile of acmp
I just got NFW and Twisted Sisters from Penguin. They are good effects and I'm pleased with the packaging, sisters is better than NFW.

The necessary moves are explained well. I think that Dr. Daley's may be next on my whish list.
acmp<><

"Well if I had one wish in this god forsaken world, kids
It'd be that your mistakes would be your own"
Mitchum
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Mitchum
Color Monte is a great trick for beginners. I like the fact that the cards are 100% examinable.
Clarioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
624 Posts

Profile of Clarioneer
Card Warp
Color Monte
Side Swiped
Real 3 Card Monte (Daryls DVD includes Color Monte)
Owed to Poker Dan
Dr Daley's Last Trick
Twisting the Aces
catch you later

Clarioneer
Michael Seay
View Profile
New user
Northern California
45 Posts

Profile of Michael Seay
Surreal monte from Card Fixes by Jon Racherbaumer.
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2505 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
1. Queens out of control
2. McDOnalds Aces
3. NFW
4. Twisted Sisters
5. Skinners Ultimonte
amakar
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of amakar
I always liked Color Monte but made up my own set with 2 regular cards and 1 blank with a handwritten message. It seemed less commercial and more adhoc

I forgot to add Owed to Poker Dan by Ron Bauer.
Its a great packet trick that actually has a purpose for being a "packet".

Even wonder why magicians pull out these "special" cards from special little plastic covers? Poker Dan addresses these issues...plus the presentation is excellent.
Chintamani
View Profile
New user
UK
39 Posts

Profile of Chintamani
Colour Monte, NFW and B'wave are all good packet tricks that get great reactions.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Favourite packet trick for beginers (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL