The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Mark Cannon featured in February's MUM!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Mark Cannon (and his lovely wife Sheila) is the feature in this month’s (February) MUM (Magic Unity Might). MUM is the magazine of the Society of American Magicians.

Mark has a great photo on the cover (his diamond, steel box escape as seen on his web site) and several good articles inside (including his “My life as and escape artist with several vintage photo’s and his “Why an Escape Act in the 21st Century?” from his lecture). It's all good stuff.

Of course I’m not totally happy that he gave away his Melt-thru Mirror Manacles (an effect/gimmick that I use regularly and paid for!).

Good show Mark and Sheila!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
If Mark gave this away,,,,,,then that`s a crying shame,,,,I have biult this into a cameo,,,and also paid for the priv.

Ken.
CARNEGIE
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of CARNEGIE
Mark gave it away also on his lecture video and his lecture notes, fulling explaining how it worked and how to build it yourself.

It's certainly a nice article. My favorite part though was about Professor Harry Cooke, I thought that was a really interesting piece of history.

I was surprised that there was not a big ad for the Escape Artist Convention in this issue of MUM. There is a very tiny ad, but it's very easy to miss. Probably there will be ads for it later in the year. They do mention the convention in the body of the article which is a good thing.
Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
Hi All'
Just got a copy of MUM, with Mark Cannon on the cover and just about every other
page too!

THE CANNON'S HAVE FIRED THE FIRST VOLLEY!!
A shot heard around the world.. to bring attention to the Most Unique Magic
Convention Ever! .... COME ONE, COME ALL TO...

Cannon's Great Escapes 3rd Annual Escape Artist Convention

I'd say Mark has made a great start in getting the word out about the Convention!
If he continues at this rate, he will have to book every hotel in Ontario, Ca.

WAY TO GO MARK!!

We as escape artists should get behind him and support his effort to have an all
ESCAPE ARTIST CONVENTION!!! OUR OWN CONVENTION!!!
THINK ABOUT IT...... SUPPORT IT!!

Steve Baker, MR. ESCAPE

OOPPS...... VOLLEY!!

Steve
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I Guess Mark Did a No-No.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Nope, no no-no’s (quadruple negative!)! Mark invented the trick, routine and gimmicks and had already put it out in his lecture notes and video (where I learned about it). Frankly, it was his to do with as he pleases.

The magazine is limited to the magic/magician community and more specifically to the members of the SAM. Thus it has a limited circulation. I also believe the best way to hide a secret is to publish it! The bit is good magic and is a good transition from magic to an escape segment in a show or to open an escape act, or even as I use it, as a feature in a magic show.

Steve is right on, we should all be doing whatever possible in supporting this the first, stand alone, EA convention. If we can’t get there ourselves we should be helping get the word out to others that may not know about it. I know a couple of working professionals that don’t visit the Café and may not know about the coming EA convention.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
Speaking of the convention- Mark has generously set aside a "special meeting time" at the Cannon's Great Escapes 3rd Annual Escape Artists Convention in Ontario Ca (Oct 7,8,9) for those participating in the WEAR. Participants can use this time to meet and discuss what they are planning in their area, PR ideas, etc, and also just for general camaraderie.

Clyde
CARNEGIE
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of CARNEGIE
I never meant to imply that Mark did something wrong. It was his to give away or sell or do whatever. Both the lecture notes and video were his as well. And the MUM issue state that the routine is from his lecture notes.

On the convention issue, I hope there are lots of ads in ALL the magic magazines promoting the event so that this years is the biggest EA Convention ever. It is the only one of it's kind, right? At least in the states. It's going to be a great time I'm sure of it.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Yes Mark Can do what he Wants and it Looks like He Has.
pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
While commenting about the convention space given W.E.A.R., I forgot to congrat Mark and Sheila.

CONGRATULATIONS MARK AND SHEILA !!!

Clyde
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Looks like W.E.A.R. is Certainly Getting a Lot of Publicity.
hersheymagic
View Profile
Regular user
Harrisburg, PA
126 Posts

Profile of hersheymagic
Quote:
Of course I’m not totally happy that he gave away his Melt-thru Mirror Manacles (an effect/gimmick that I use regularly and paid for!).

Harry,
The Melt-thru mirror was one of the first effects I bought from Mark. I love the effect, but seem to have trouble with not letting the cuffs "talk" when doing the certain something on the back of the mirror. Can you give any pointers on how to cover the noise?

The diamond plated open air escape is also great. We do it several times a day on Saturdays for our customers. We added an additional section of chain and one of Mark's large silver padlocks to the outside, and use the steel fist-mits (I'm wearing them in my avitar picture) inside the box along with the cuffs and ankle cuffs.

Mark really deserved to be on the cover. He has helped me with most of my escape stuff and I was glad to see MUM recognize him for his experience and knowledge.

Thanks,
Keith

Click here to view attached image.
Keith Hanshaw

http://smartphonecardtrick.com

SAM Life Member

Current IBM Member
Allan Given
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of Allan Given
I was very excited when my MUM arrived and saw Mark on the cover! I thought it was a great article and I think both Mark and Shiela have done a lot to promote our art. Way to go guys!
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Anyone know how to get a extra copy of MUM.
Allan Given
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of Allan Given
Donster-

I would contact Richard Blowers at rmblowers@aol.com to see if you could get a copy...

Allan
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Allan Thank You.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Mark Cannon featured in February's MUM!! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL