The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » "Spun" by Morgan (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

templemagic
View Profile
Elite user
Sunderland, North-East England
420 Posts

Profile of templemagic
Hi there. Ive just watched the demo video for this on Penguin magic and it looks so good! Basically its just quarter flte except the coin appears to bend in midair. Is it released yet as the website says that its not available at the minute?

If anyone has seen anything of it let me know what you think. I am seriously considering get it however.

Cheers,
TM
ROBERT TEMPLE
"The Power to Amaze"

robert@roberttemple.co.uk
http://www.roberttemple.co.uk
in flames
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto
1028 Posts

Profile of in flames
I thought it looked pretty cheesy actually. I wouldn't pay that price for that. Over-rated and the same camera angles show nothing.
magiCAD
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
166 Posts

Profile of magiCAD
Can you post a link? I didn't see it on the Penguin site.
-Rich
Matt Morell
View Profile
Loyal user
Norwich, CT.
254 Posts

Profile of Matt Morell
Is there another Penguin Magic shop that I don't know about ? I can't find this either on Penguin's site - Search and all.
templemagic
View Profile
Elite user
Sunderland, North-East England
420 Posts

Profile of templemagic
I still think it looks great. Here is a link...

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=976

Let me know your views on it too...

TM
ROBERT TEMPLE
"The Power to Amaze"

robert@roberttemple.co.uk
http://www.roberttemple.co.uk
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
I liked the idea a lot.
Yours,

Ivan
John Born
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of John Born
Great idea!!! Congratulations Morgan!

John B. Born
Ozer4
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
330 Posts

Profile of Ozer4
Hi,
I recently watched the DVD with Morgan, and thought that the DVD was very well done. There are plenty of real life performances captured in full, which help to show the handling, subtleties, and impact this effect has on a lay audience. The explanations are very thorough and leave no stone unturned. The DVD itself has very high production value from an authoring and camera work perspective, and is quite entertaining.

The effect is, in essence, a coin is borrowed from the audience, signed, and then caused to float. The magician, and even the spectator, moves their hand above and below, to the right and to the left of the floating coin (some GREAT touches here by Morgan that fooled me). Then it starts to visibly bend in mid-air, followed by the spectator rubbing it and causing it to bend more. Then voila, the specator keeps their signed, bent coin.

I think that the best effects in magic can be described in one line by a spectator when remembering the magic. In this case: "magician took my quarter, made if float, and then bend...in MID-AIR!! The method is nothing groundbreaking, but direct and to the point. However, the impact this has on audiences when performed properly is very big as well as when they recall it to friends and family.

-Oz
magiCAD
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
166 Posts

Profile of magiCAD
Thanks for the link templemagic. Based off of what I saw and the reactions the spectators had, this looks like a powerful effect. I'll keep it in mind.
-Rich
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Quote:
On 2005-02-16 08:05, Ozer4 wrote:
I think that the best effects in magic can be described in one line by a spectator when remembering the magic. In this case: "magician took my quarter, made if float, and then bend...in MID-AIR!! The method is nothing groundbreaking, but direct and to the point. However, the impact this has on audiences when performed properly is very big as well as when they recall it to friends and family.

-Oz

So true Oz. This is exactly what Ken Weber talks about in his book, "Maximum Entertainment". This is an important thing to remember when you are performing in the real world. Can the effect be explained in one or two sentences? If not, it may not be the best thing for lay folk.
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
atrudo
View Profile
Regular user
New Hampshire
192 Posts

Profile of atrudo
I wonder why this has been unavailable for so long from penguin? It seems to be back in stock now though. Anyone know what the delay was?
munch1215
View Profile
New user
California
77 Posts

Profile of munch1215
I think Spun is very visual. It is probably very hard to do.

I have gotten another DVD by Morgan. It was impossible for me to do. I think only he can perform his tricks.
Look deep within yourself for inspiration
bloodkin
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of bloodkin
Good point Oz. I'm sure with time I could reproduce the same effect.

However I pre-ordered Spun more for Morgan's handlings and subtleties than the method. It's important to remember that before dismissing any "new" effect.
in flames
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto
1028 Posts

Profile of in flames
Thanks OZ. I loved Liquid Metal and Morgans instruction, tips/advice ect. this still looks cheesy and overpriced.
bloodkin
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of bloodkin
For a Cheesy effect, Morgan gets some pretty strong reactions.
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1090 Posts

Profile of Nash
CHESSY?????????????/

granted I was never a fan of Penguin but this trick looks FLAT OUT FILTHYYYYY!!!.
And by filthy I mean the good kind of filthy.
This trick is as close to making you look like having superpower as you can get...

not sure how practical it is for resturants workers but hey.. the idea is just FFFILLLTTTHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Don't give up, don't EVER give up.

Corporate event magician
God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
I really liked the idea, thought it was original.
I like the fact that the idea is a HANDS OFF bend. Here the coin seems to bend TOTALLY by itself and as an added bonus....its floating!!
Ephes. 2:8-9

For by GRACE are ye saved through faith; and that NOT OF YOURSELVES: it is the gift of God: NOT OF WORKS, lest any man should boast.
SamChak
View Profile
Elite user
445 Posts

Profile of SamChak
Looks real good & visual in the demo.
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science."

~ Albert Einstein ~
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17163 Posts

Profile of joseph
This thread began in Feb, and so far no reviews....Anybody get this yet?....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » "Spun" by Morgan (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL