The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Wands...whew (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Mrbimble
View Profile
New user
Tucson, AZ
56 Posts

Profile of Mrbimble
Ok riddle me this... I've been searching for wand crafters for a few weeks now. I've found very few "crafters", or artisans if you will. Most places have mass produced units. The few places I have found are either totaly swamped with orders/work or so overpriced that I don't have a chance in hell of purchasing one.
Anyone have some hidden contacts? I have a specific idea for the wand I would like so that's why I'm not just getting a simple wand from any number of shops. Thanks
Jerry M.
Mundas vult decipi ~The world wants to be deceived

Multum in parvo ~Much in little(packs small/plays big)
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1233 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
How about the Tabman? Check out his banner, it's around here somewhere. His wands look nice, and aren't overpriced. I think he can make it just the way you want it. He is here on the Café.
(I think I might get one myself-lol)
Whitewolfny
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Whitewolfny
Hi Mrbimble, what type of wand are you looking for? If you're looking for one made of wood, why not try a local wood cabinet shop, or wood furniture shop. They would have the tools to make something unique. Just becasue you are looking for a special magic wand doesn't mean it has to come from a magic shop.
Braxton Mannar
<BR>Just an old dog trying to learn new tricks Smile
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
When I bought the Sherwood cups, I decided I wanted a high end wand as well. I use a Porper wand which is a thing of beauty.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
I don't mass produce my wands. I make them one at a time as ordered and I am not a magic shop but consider myself a magic craftsman. I price my wands low in an effort to get them in as many hands as possible. I'm sure I could get more $$ for them and have.

And as Pepka said, everything Joe Porper makes is excellent and a good choice. There are others as well as myself and Michael Baker in Birmingham Alabama who turns very nice wands on his lathe. I can recommend him highly to anyone who needs custom work done.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
When I got my first set of Sherwoods, I had James Riser make an ebony and silver wand to use with them. It is a lovely piece of work.

But you can get a good wand without having to hock the family treasury.

One way is to make your own. Go on the web to Rockler. You will have to do a google search to find them. They have hardwood dowels that will work well. Order one that is about 1/2 inch or so in diameter. There is a good chance that it will have a slight warp in it when you get it. So get out your kettle and steam it straight. Then cut it to length, sand it and finish it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13363 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
How do you steam a wand straight.

I'm also a recent owner of a Porper wand. I love it.
The weight is very nice. Spins great. I need to make a leather
case for it.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2005-02-14 21:57, tabman wrote:
I don't mass produce my wands. I make them one at a time as ordered and I am not a magic shop but consider myself a magic craftsman. I price my wands low in an effort to get them in as many hands as possible. I'm sure I could get more $$ for them and have.

And as Pepka said, everything Joe Porper makes is excellent and a good choice. There are others as well as myself and Michael Baker in Birmingham Alabama who turns very nice wands on his lathe. I can recommend him highly to anyone who needs custom work done.

-=tabman

Tabman,

Your post above shows real class. Here you are, an artisan maker of wands and you blow off your own wands and refer prospective buyers to other artisan sources. Genuine humility and real class.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Thanks Mike, I appreciate the kind words. Magic wands are such a personal thing. My craft leans toward the traditional while there are others who stretch the limits. John Gaughan used to (perhaps still does) make exquisit wands for the past President's of the IBM and Magic Castle. I was honored indeed when the IBM asked me to succeed JG for a few years when he stopped making them.

I examined a custom wand made by Michael Baker last Thursday night at a magician's dinner in Huntsville, Alabama. It was perfectly turned. I have been so impressed by Baker's work that I gave him several chunks of some 45 year old walnut logs I had in my wood house in exchange for the eventual wand he will turn for me from one of them (no rush Michael if you are reading this).

As Bill Palmer said, it wouldnt be that hard to fashion a wand from a dowel stick or an aluminum rod and some heat shrink which is available at places like Home Depot. Hard wood dowels are available at Home Depot too.

This is inspiring me to add a page to my website with tips on making your own wand for those who want to follow that course. I'd like to add some photos if some of you will email them to me at tabman@questx.com Smile

A wand was the first thing I made as a kid. A 3/8" dowel stick painted black with white painted tips and I still have it in my shop. Next I made my own magic table. It's a little small for me now as I was about ten. I did a collage on the front of the table from stuff I cut out of a bunch of Genii mags and Sphinx mags that belonged to my uncle. My a** is still sore thinking about the licking I got for that.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2005-02-15 11:02, tabman wrote:

A wand was the first thing I made as a kid. A 3/8" dowel stick painted black with white painted tips and I still have it in my shop.

-=tabman

Tabman.

Me too!! And I still have mine also.

I made one further modification to my "first wand". I took a pocket knife BEORE I painted the wand and I put a tiny (in depth) slit or cut that "went with the grain" at each end of the wand. The, when I painted the wands the cut was easily "recovered" and went practially undetected. The purpose of the slit? To be able to attach a loose length of black sewing thread to the wand at each end. By sliping my thumbs in between the wand and the thread, I was able to "balance" a ping pong ball on the top of the wand and roll the ball back and forth. I could easily remove the thread (let it drop to the floor, if necessary) and then pass out the wand and the ball to kids to try the trick for themselves.

Mike

P.S. If anyone wishes to try this, make certain that you place a knot at each end of the thread. This prevents the thread from slipping through the slit if you place too much pressure on the thread with your thumbs as you are maneuvering the ping pong ball back and forth. Oh! And another thing I used to do is to place a tiny bit of magicians wax on one of the ends of the wand (on the tip). In this way, I could "balance" the ping pong ball on top of the wand also. Of course, the removal of the wax with a thumb nail was also done prior to passing out the wand. And as a gag, I sometimes would tilt the wand to a horizontal position with the ping pong ball stuck on the end. And, when the ball is later removed and the wax is then removed, well....it just drove the kids crazy as they also tried to duplicate this.

Eschew obfuscation.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Tabman,

I am truly honored and humbled by your kind words, advice, and friendship. I hope to always be sitting at the feet of the master. You can be assured there is a special piece of wood here with something magical inside... and it has your name on it.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Turk, I love that ping pong ball trick, thanks for sharing that story. It's flat out amazing how similar many of us are and how we got started. Michael Baker showed me the first wand he made since I had brought it up to him a while back and its almost the same as yours and mine. Of course in the 50s and 60s the magicians you'd see on the covers of the magic set boxes all had a black and while wand.

Michael, I wouldn't say it if it wasnt true. You don't need to bow to anyone. I loved seeing your black card box (trying not to disclose too much here). I've been thinking about that one. I've got some ideas for a routine and finish for you. I'll PM them sometime when we get done talking about magic wands this time around.

What was the title of Byron's Thayer books?? Oh yeah,

keep the wheels turning!!!

-=tabman

Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
On a Dutch forum a question was brought up where the black wand with white tips has it's origins. Does anyone know that? Bill? Tabman?
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2005-02-15 14:04, Dan LeFay wrote:
On a Dutch forum a question was brought up where the black wand with white tips has it's origins. Does anyone know that? Bill? Tabman?

Dan,

I don't know but I'm going to hazard a guess. I don't mind being proved wrong and looking foolish. Anyway, I would guess that the black wand with white tips was "designed" to coordinate with and to compliment the formal clothing of the 1920s era (black tux. tie and tails with white shirt) and the elegant formal settings for the performances. Just a guess. I just cannot see a wizard's crooked root wand with gemstones and bits of rawhide and moss clumps playing into the hands of so elegantly attired magicians.

I'll be interestd in learning the true origins of the black wand with white tips. And, when I do, I'll have a good laugh when I go back and read my above guess.

Mike

Eschew obfuscation.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Turk,

That does sound reasonable, but the formal attire started much before the 1920's, so perhaps the lineage of the black and white wand would run further back in time, as well. Didn't Herrmann use a black and white wand?

Maybe Mike Caveney could provide the answer. I believe he bought the collection of wands from David Price's estate, and I think Herrmann's wand was among the wands in the original collection. Whether it still is, I don't know. There was a great article in (I think) MAGIC, on that collection.

William V. Rauscher has written a booklet on the origins of the wand. Maybe he can shed some light on the topic, also.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Did you know that there was a Tabman Wand in the David Price collection as well!!!

-=tabman

Did this have something to do with ivory tips and an ebony shaft??? Who started that??? I just don't remember. I think I've got the answer to this in my notebook but it's at home. Maybe it was Herrmann. Can anybody put their hands on Henry Hay's book??? Now I won't be able to sleep!! Thanks a lot.

-=tabman

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Which Henry Hay book??
~michael baker
The Magic Company
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
The yellow and green one. He put a lot of info in the revised version of The Amateur Magicians Handbook. There might be some enlightment there. I've only got the first edition which isn't nearly as complete as the revised. I have the first ed. of Joe L.'s Wand book at home too. If nobody comes up with the answer by tomorrow I will dig that out and look in there. Joe did a lot of research or it might be in that phamplet I did on wand lore some years ago. I just don't remember. Hate to say it but I think I must have filled my brain up and each new thing is pushing some of the old stuff out the other side.

-=tabman

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I checked H. Hay's Cyclopedia of Magic and it's not among the wand info there. I think I have the one you mentioned, but It is surely buried. I may dig in a bit.

What's the Joe L. Wand Book you mentioned? ... never heard of that.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2005-02-15 12:35, tabman wrote:
[...]
What was the title of Byron's Thayer books?? Oh yeah,

keep the wheels turning!!!

-=tabman

I think you're confusing two very different sets of books.

Carl Owen wrote the two Thayer books that have the title "Keep the Wheels Turning" (vol. 1 & 2). These contain the original prints and descriptions by Owen himself.

Byron Wels "wrote" the two-volume set "The Great Illusions of Magic", produced by Tannens, which contains mostly blueprints and illusion designs stolen from Carl Owen.

And more on topic, I've also been known to make a wand or two; in fact - though he somehow failed to mention it - Bill Palmer has a couple of my more elaborate models in his collection.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Wands...whew (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL