The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Juice Deck (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
If you say so.
tjo'
SanCho14jfm
View Profile
Loyal user
New Jersey
243 Posts

Profile of SanCho14jfm
You can buy "the juice" this way you make your own marked deck without specs I believe. I know that Tannens carries this. It will definitly win you some money in poker.
SanCho
Silly Walter the Polar Bear
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Silly Walter the Polar Bear
Quote:
On 2005-02-16 15:33, T. Joseph O'Malley wrote:
(Craig this post is for you my friend:)

OK time to up the stakes here. In my heart, I believe that most magicians want a juiced deck so they can fool other magicians and then say, "hey it was a JUICED deck!". To that end...

Here's a cool thing to do to fool your juice obsessed pals: bring in a regular old fashioned m__k_d deck (some non-juice method) and explain that the deck is juiced, be sure to emphasize how difficult it is to read the markings, etc.
This would work REALLY well if you actually took out a bottle of some liquid marked (juice), or better yet, just flash the bottle to them from under the table.

Or even better use a st___d & m____zed deck and then perform miracles from across the room.

Or to top this one, find a pal familiar with some sort of mn___ic code and set up a phony juice demo, again emphasizing how easy it is to read juice marks from a distance away.

My point is, lie through your teeth about juice, about how expensive & rare it was, because many card guys are so fixated on it that they'll probably be blinded to the actual (simpler cheaper) methods you're actually using.

Ultimately, if you're a real jerk, be SURE to send them home with your (un)juiced deck so they can spend hours staring at it.

(I'm a little stinker, ain't i?)


Worst idea ever.
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
Wow, you must have heard them all!

Quote:
On 2005-02-16 20:48, SanCho14jfm wrote:
You can buy "the juice" this way you make your own marked deck without specs I believe. I know that Tannens carries this. It will definitly win you some money in poker.
SanCho


Now this, THIS is the worst idea ever. (no offence).
tjo'
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
1948 Posts

Profile of iamslow
I was given the recipe to make juice recently and for my first attempt, it actually wasnt bad, except I made the markings pretty obvious... As for variations, I wouldnt really know any other recipe's, but I could see other ways of making it...
"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
fantom
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of fantom
Hank lee sell a bottle of juice for making your own juiced deck. It runs $25 a bottle. Has anyone here tried this formula yet?
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2473 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
Mmmmm....wonder what it can be ... usually I see real juice selling for $200 - $250 per bottle....I also wonder how large the bottle is ? How many decks can you mark ? and if they use a generic juice or make a higher quality juice for red and a juice for blue backed cards ? If they suggest different marking patterns and give tips on how to read juice ?
Long Island,

New York
Andrew Loh
View Profile
Inner circle
Malaysia
1455 Posts

Profile of Andrew Loh
Hi folks,

In Card Finesse book by Jon Racherbaumer, the book will teach you how to make your own Juice Deck. Smile

Hope this helps,
Andrew Loh
Image


Check out my new card magic eBooks "The Magnificent Queens" & "Triple Charms" at:
www.cardicianden.com

My Cardician Den Blog:
http://pasteboards.blogspot.com/
Dark
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Dark
Andrew, does this method ruin the finish? Anyone try it before?
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3412 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On 2005-02-19 00:45, Dark wrote:
Andrew, does this method ruin the finish? Anyone try it before?


You have to experiment with the amount needed to transfer the "Juice" to the cards. If the card is saturated it will ruin the finish. A light touch and small amount is required.

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2473 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
The formula that Racherbaumer gave used alcohol. While this worked 20 years ago....the US Playing card company changed the finish on the cards and now any alcohol based solutions will damage the finish on the cards....thus making the marks obvious when light hits the card at an angle. (very obvious and now useless.)...Oh well :-(

PS: try putting a drop of alcohol on a card and wait a few second and either let it evaporate of wipe it off...you will see the finish is burnt/damaged.

FYI.....I just returned from Las Vegas and saw the $25 juice there. I verified that the $25 juice is alcohol based (which will burn the finish of the Bees, Bicycles, etc.) Therefore, you must figure out how to refinish the cards on your own....and that is not included in the instructions.

The $25 solution should work OK on old US Playing Card Stock red backed cards (about 10+ years old). The $25 solution will mark the cards (ie. juice), but damage the finish new playing card stock. New US Playing Card Company cards must use a non-alcohol based solution since you want to avoid damaging the card's finish.

Last but not least, the $25 juice only is good for red backed cards.

I hope this helps clear things up.
Long Island,

New York
MSD921
View Profile
Special user
612 Posts

Profile of MSD921
OK - I bought the $25.00 juice. They provide a sample "juiced card" with the kit. It is a RB Bee card and they say it is juiced very dark(30 seconds) so you can understand the principal. I have stared at this thing, on and of, for days. I can not see the d*mn marks! I tried the unfocused gaze, looking away, etc. Any suggestions from experienced juicers? I'd like to mark an OBCS setup if I can get this to work.

Expertmagician - Why does this only work for red backed cards?

Thanks.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3412 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On 2005-03-04 12:31, MSD921 wrote:
Expertmagician - Why does this only work for red backed cards?

Thanks.


Because it is red tinted juice!

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
JasonEngland
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, NV
1692 Posts

Profile of JasonEngland
Quote:
On 2005-03-04 13:23, Stanyon wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-03-04 12:31, MSD921 wrote:
Expertmagician - Why does this only work for red backed cards?

Thanks.

Because it is red tinted juice!


Actually it isn't true that red juice only works on red cards, though it would seem that way wouldn't it? I've heard of examples of red juice being used on blue cards and vice versa. Keep in mind, when the pros use juice, they don't put the marks on with a bingo dauber. We're still talking about extrememly light shading, that is very difficult to pick out if you're not looking for it.

I've experimented with both of these combinations and got okay, but not perfect results.

Incidentally, red juice is usually preferred for reasons that have to do with the structure of the eye, and the ways the rods and cones in your retina and macula perceive light, movement and color, and how quickly those rods and cones are fatigued by staring at a given back design. That's why juice (or most any shade work) is usually best read at the instant the card is revealed, instead of by staring at the back design for a couple of seconds. You can still read it that way, but it can be tougher because of saturation of the rods and cones. (The rods are the movement and light responsive structures and the cones respond to color.)

It is estimated that a normal person has many more cones that are capable of responding to the color red than the color blue (like 30X as many by some estimates). Green cones also exist, and fall somewhere in the middle of the red and blue cones in numbers. But, since few manufacturers make green cards, green juice probably never got a chance to come into its own.

Jason
Eternal damnation awaits anyone who questions God's unconditional love. --Bill Hicks
rawdawg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
685 Posts

Profile of rawdawg
The best way to apply juice is to use Frisket TM, a Ulano type swivel blade and either a Paasche AB or an Iwata HP-B at about 15-20 psi. There, I said it.
One time, when I was young, I botched a sleight so bad, Vernon, Marlo & Miller rolled over in their graves. But I didn't see Elmsley, probably because he was behind the others.
Saint
View Profile
New user
Australia
1 Post

Profile of Saint
Hey guys, the old juice imho is not very good as it wares the finish off the cards with the alcohol and you will only get a night or two out of the deck before it is apparent that it is marked (looks AND feels different). However the newer version of juice does not ruin the finish of the cards. An extra chemical is added, (an NO its not water) to counter the effect of "burning the cards" but will still adhere to the back. Yes it is true that juice works only on red backed bees and bikes. You can still apply to blue backs and yes, you can see the markings, but to an extent that it WORKS. It is just not playable and practical in a standard game.

Opponent thinks "he needs glasses and a few stress relief pills or the cards are marked?!?"

As for magicians wanting this, I do not see how, most good magi know what juice is. Also a standard blackline, edgework, or even to the extent of hand marked cards can be more effective, and let you concentrate more on presentation as "that's what magic really is". Any juice deck can be replaced at the card mat by a more superior marked card deck (for magic).

It is however at the gaming table that the red back bee juice deck really "shines".

It takes practice to read the juice markings. I would attribute it to being something similar to those Magic Eye Pictures, some people can do it , some people can't. Luminous shade decks are completley different however (the ones that use glasses/lens). These require no practice at all, and are easy to read, however the only downfall is that you need to wear sunnies. Its up to you if you think these are suspicious or not. =]

Both are good, but for different reasons. Be careful how you use them.
The Card Mechanic of the 21st century
Mystic Magic
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Mystic Magic
Quote:
On 2005-02-16 21:28, Silly Walter the Polar Bear wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-02-16 15:33, T. Joseph O'Malley wrote:
(Craig this post is for you my friend:)

OK time to up the stakes here. In my heart, I believe that most magicians want a juiced deck so they can fool other magicians and then say, "hey it was a JUICED deck!". To that end...

Here's a cool thing to do to fool your juice obsessed pals: bring in a regular old fashioned m__k_d deck (some non-juice method) and explain that the deck is juiced, be sure to emphasize how difficult it is to read the markings, etc.
This would work REALLY well if you actually took out a bottle of some liquid marked (juice), or better yet, just flash the bottle to them from under the table.

Or even better use a st___d & m____zed deck and then perform miracles from across the room.

Or to top this one, find a pal familiar with some sort of mn___ic code and set up a phony juice demo, again emphasizing how easy it is to read juice marks from a distance away.

My point is, lie through your teeth about juice, about how expensive & rare it was, because many card guys are so fixated on it that they'll probably be blinded to the actual (simpler cheaper) methods you're actually using.

Ultimately, if you're a real jerk, be SURE to send them home with your (un)juiced deck so they can spend hours staring at it.

(I'm a little stinker, ain't i?)


Worst idea ever.


Seems funny Mr. Walter. If this being the worst idea ever in your opinion. You obviously must not have much of an imagination. I can think of about 20-30 ideas worse than that. Half of which I have used. lol I think it's wrong to assume that something/someone is the worst or best. I believe that there is always room for improvement, and room for things to get worse.

just something to think about.

Mystic Magic
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4985 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I searched for Juice Deck and this showed up:
http://www.markedcards.net/ (Luminous Shade and Juiced Deck)
Narmis
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Narmis
Which is better Kjellstrom? And how visible are they to people who don't know the secret.
I admit I was addicted to cards, but fortunately I am down to one pack a day.
Unknown419
View Profile
Inner circle
1332 Posts

Profile of Unknown419
Jason you are absolutely correct in your post, Steve showed it to me when I was at his house.

Very hard to see but I saw the blue on the red and the red on the blue eventually

Signed

Doc
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Juice Deck (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL