The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Cultural literacy... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Otter came after Tim. Is he still with "Morning Glory?" I was there when they sang the first version of "On the Cover of the Gnostica News" sung to "On The Cover Of The Rolling Stone" at a little gathering in Minneapolis, long and long ago...

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I found it interesting that Texe Marr's site doesn't even spell Procter and Gamble correctly. Shows you the power of the cultural illiterate.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Proving Texe's belief that illiteracy is better than No literacy, I guess, Bill!

:lol: Smile Smile

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I have tangled with his followers before. They are a simple lot.

One of the funniest run-ins that I have witnessed with that type of person was one that occurred between MarcoM and a patron of Scarborough Faire. MarcoM wore a cape with a large pentagram on the back of it. He also had a bit he did with a pentagram. It was done in jest, but the fundamentalists didn't get it.

So, after an entertainers' meeting one morning, MarcoM brought me a photocopy of a letter that had been sent to the management of the fair by a group calling itself T.A.R.A. (Texans Against Ritual Abuse), explaining that they were horrified by the magician "not that nice Merlin fellow, but that other one with all the pentagrams." MarcoM was really angry -- he said "As often as I mention my name during the show, you would have thought they would have remembered whom they were accusing!"
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
cogliostro
View Profile
New user
Tampa
99 Posts

Profile of cogliostro
Quote:
On 2005-02-16 11:35, Gandalf the Wizard wrote:
Is unquestionable than all symbols, rites and myths have a cultural context that must be known and understood for the practicing of bizarre magick that does use of them, otherwise his action would be empties and powerless

I'm sure it was not intended this way, but that could be taken as a challenge. Can anyone think up any bizarre magic where there is no use of symoblism? Wait... actually a few examples come to mind, but lets really up the ante. Can anyone come up with any bizarre routine that would work across both cultural and language barriers? David Blaine can do card tricks for Asian tourists and get laughs. Can bizarre magick do anything comparable?

If not, has this challenge identified a limitation of bizzare magic and thus defined it as storytelling? Admittedly this definition has been proposed before, it pretty much comes up every time someone asks for a definition, but it might be useful to move towards a concensus.

i.e. Bizarre Magic (n): Storytelling augmented through magic that evokes anyone of of a broad range of emotions in an audience.

Just my musings,
Rob
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
Keep silent and you will look wise.

Grab an amulet and look into the eyes of a person.

Recite an incantation, throw a stone in the floor, produce fire.

It has been done all over the world.

Rituals in general are very similar across different cultures. Even the meaning of them. We kill each other for the small details, not for the metaphysics.

Great post Rob.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Cultural literacy... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL