The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Breakthrough Card System by Osterlind (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Amazingly enough, a search revealed NO review of Osterlind's Breakthrough Card System (BCS). Let's remedy that injustice right now.

In his introduction to this 20th Anniversary Edition, Osterlind "hope(s) that it will take its rightful place in the annals of card magic." He undersells this. This is one of the more powerful series of mentalism effects you'll find.

"ONE of the more powerful SERIES of mentalism effects"?? Well, yes. There's quite a number of effects one can perform with the BCS, only a few of which are given in the manuscript. Here's one which I use consistently -- whether during a parlour show or to someone in the car who we're returning to the airport:

Your volunteer selects a number of cards from the deck. (The more, the merrier - well, to a point. If they take 51 cards, this could take all night.) You turn around, or get blindfolded, or step to the other side of a door - anything to remove suspicion that the cards might be marked. You then, with some mental effort, name each card in their hand, one by one, having them discard each card as you name it. When they're down to only two cards, have them put each card in a separate pocket. You may then turn around. And you then name the two remaining cards - and which card is in which pocket.

Or how about this effect: Your volunteer selects a card from the deck. You drop the cards in spread condition on the table. The volunteer returns the card and squares the deck, and the deck is boxed. You write a prediction and place it face down on the table. And if your volunteer is a magician, they're in for a shock --- because there is no force and no n--- w----r. Yet when your volunteer names their card, that prediction matches it.

Being an Osterlind effect, you won't be surprised how simple it is to learn. It has been said that it's harder to forget this effect than it is to remember it.

Excellent for stage use (works well with jumbo cards), parlour, or close-up, this helped convince a number of people that their thoughts were not private to me. (A good "explanation" is that mind-reading is actually mind visualization, and an image is easier to pick up than an abstract thought.) You'll use this over and over.

Available for $15 (download) or $20 (CD) from http://www.osterlindmysteries.com/store1.htm where all sorts of amazing things are stocked.

*jeep!
--Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
MSD921
View Profile
Special user
616 Posts

Profile of MSD921
Great review but I have seen many comments about this over the past months. Most comments are very positive. It sure doesn't hurt to remind us about it again though!.....I love the system. I started to work on the memorized component but my brain is unable to hold the additional information.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Want to see the deck in action? get Richard's Vol 2 of his Mind Mysteries DVD set. Very worthwhile and highly recommended. His blackjace routine at the end is just stunning.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
raether
View Profile
New user
Shorewood, IL
67 Posts

Profile of raether
I can highly recommend the system. It is very easy to learn. There is not a lot of memory work required. I learned it in about an hour. After you run through the system a couple of times, it really sticks in your head.

Helmut
Helmut Raether
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
3009 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
This system is one of the greatest discoveries in mentalism and magic.

As a mentalist who uses playing cards, I use it regularly.

Osterlind gives you some great effects on the dvd, but the sky is the limit.
waltsal
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of waltsal
Like Sense of Touch, this system should have been kept a secret in some impregnable underground vault. It is very close to real magic--if it ever existed.
Lynn Lee
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Lynn Lee
Out of curiosity, how does the manuscript differ from the Mind Mysteries Vol 2 DVD? I'm interested in getting into card mentalism, and I'm very intrigued by what I've heard so far about the BCS.
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2124 Posts

Profile of gabelson
I'm loving the BCS. It's so easy and natural. Just having a hard time with the MEMORIZED version of it. Anyone else?
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
763 Posts

Profile of Josho
I've just started the memorization process, but it's going fairly easily for me...probably because I learned Lorayne's system decades ago and have been using it ever since. What phase of the memorization are you having a problem with?

BTW, Lynn Lee: I think there is only one very brief effect in the manuscript that isn't on the Mind Mysteries DVD. There are, however, a couple of effects on the DVD that are NOT in the manuscript. On the other hand, the manuscript has some tips on using the system in the manual that aren't on the DVD, including several pages on various kinds of peeks that help you make good use of the system. (The best peek, I think, is the card case peek that IS explained on the DVD.)

Either one would be a fine way to get into the system. Personally, I would probably recommend the manuscript first, and then, if you really get into it, any or all of the Mind Mysteries DVDs. They are all extraordinarily good.

--Josh
oombob
View Profile
Special user
Canada
717 Posts

Profile of oombob
The BCS is certainly one of the closest things I've discovered to a perfect effect. Hand the deck over ....leave the room.... name their unspoken card. This is powerful stuff and Osterlind deserves our respect and gratitude.
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
So now there's another option. Volume 2 of Osterlinds guide books, which is about the BCS.

I have the DVD. Is it worth getting the BCS manuscript and/or the guide book? What are the merits of each?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Breakthrough Card System by Osterlind (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL