The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Developing your memory... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
C.Jakobsson
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden
118 Posts

Profile of C.Jakobsson
Hi!
I have been doing magic for about three years now and I'm getting more into mental magic. I am right now searching for sources on developing your memory. I also wonder if I am able to develop my photographical memory and be able to use it. I already have som photographical memory and I learn and remember things with ease. How can I go even further?

//Delmondo
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Drink Dr. Wilson's Memory Elixir!

Seriously, read the relevant chapter in Corinda's Thirteen Steps to Mentalism, read some Harry Lorayne books, and if you are affluent, buy Dominic O'Brian's stuff. For a more comprehensive bibliography, search the Café for postings by Scott Cram, like the one in this thread.

Here is an introduction to memorizing numbers.

Strictly speaking, you either have eidetic imagery (photographic memory) or you don't. A person with eidetic imagery can look at a printed page, then "read" it later from memory to find the positions of specific words. It's pretty rare. You don't need it to be a good mnemonist, though.

Yours,

Paul
stanalger
View Profile
Special user
St. Louis, MO
996 Posts

Profile of stanalger
I've been told that HOW TO DEVELOP A PERFECT MEMORY by Dominic O'Brien
is by far the best of Dominic's many books on memory techniques.
Unfortunately, it's out of print and very hard to find used. There's
a used copy listed at Amazon right now...but the seller wants $310.00!

I tried to borrow a copy through the inter-library loan department
of my local university, but I was told that THEY didn't have access to
any copies.

However, there's good news for those with patience. Chris Wasshuber
of lybrary.com is working on making this title available as an
eBook.

Stan Alger
Memo
View Profile
New user
Germany (northrhine-westfalia)
77 Posts

Profile of Memo
Quote:
I've been told that HOW TO DEVELOP A PERFECT MEMORY by Dominic O'Brien
is by far the best of Dominic's many books on memory techniques.

That´s totally true.
"There have been many claims by magicans and mentalists to the invention of mnemonics; some of the claimants have been world-famous performers - and none of them have a right to their claims!" - Corinda
Natural Mystic
View Profile
Elite user
Atlanta, GA
500 Posts

Profile of Natural Mystic
Stanalger,

Dominic O' Brien has another book I bought from Amazon.com called,"Learn to Remember". It has the same basic techniques as HOW TO DEVELOP A PERFECT MEMORY.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search......-6654465

Peace.
"You never change the existing reality by
fighting it. Instead, create a new model that
makes the old one obsolete."
-- R. Buckminster Fuller
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2214 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Quote:
On 2005-02-18 12:28, Delmondo wrote:
Hi!
I have been doing magic for about three years now and I'm getting more into mental magic. I am right now searching for sources on developing your memory. I also wonder if I am able to develop my photographical memory and be able to use it. I already have som photographical memory and I learn and remember things with ease. How can I go even further?

//Delmondo

Delmondo,

Harry Lorayne is really the KING of memory work. In addition to that he is, I believe, the best teacher I have ever encountered. These days he prefers to sell his memory systems at his website. But Harry has written countless books including "The Memory Book" which has to stand as the best single resourse for learning these systems. To the best of my knowledge, it is still available.

Richard

PS "How to Develop a Super Power Memory" basically has the same information in it.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
You can also expand your memory and math skills at Be A Genius* (*...or, just look like one)!

Richard Osterlind makes a good recommendation. You can actually find the full text of "How To Develop a Super-Power Memory" available on the web.
Memo
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Memo
Mr. Lorayne alleges all current authors of memory stuff to be thievs of his books. That is something I don´t like, because the mainideas are very old indead and have not been invented by him.

Of course he is a great author and teacher and therefor I can recommend everyone to read the free online version of "How To Develop a Super-Power Memory" under the nice link from Scott.
"There have been many claims by magicans and mentalists to the invention of mnemonics; some of the claimants have been world-famous performers - and none of them have a right to their claims!" - Corinda
B&B Magic
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of B&B Magic
I have found that the majority of memory systems are strikingly similar. I started out with Mega Memory by Kevin Trudeau and it was an invaluable investment of time for the returns that I have enjoyed.
Harry Lorayne has a great booklet titled Super Memory Super Student that I would recommend to anyone with high school aged children who wish to do better in school! While the system is no different from The Memory Book or even Mega Memory, it is geared towards improving your memory specifically for the high school student.
green4magic
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of green4magic
Richard is right - Harry Lorayne is the best teacher of memory systems and magic.

I was lucky enough to work with Harry Lorayne as a teacher of his memory system in NYC during the 1970's.

His playing card system is a must for any card magician as it gives you unbelivable powers of revelation.

His system for remembering people and faces, once learned, will give you the ability to force the same card on an individual 6 months later. I do it all the time and remember what the drink was I put it under.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Here's a great article on the little-known history of the phonetic alphabet.
Memo
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Memo
That is the point I refer to.

Quote from Scotts Link:

Quote:
I learned it in 1978 when I read The Memory Book by Harry Lorayne and Jerry Lucas, trying to improve my inadequate memory. This very entertaining and informative book had then sold over a million copies, and by now has sold two million. However, it does not give the origin of the phonetic code, and for twenty years I thought it was invented by the memory artist Harry Lorayne. [..] I found out that the code is much older than Lorayne.

Mr. Lorayne never gives his sources, but calls other authors "thieves" if they wrote about the techniques, but these techniques are existing much longer than his books.
Ian Broadmore
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Ian Broadmore
An excellent book from David Berglas & Guy Lyon Plairfair A question of Memory will help.
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1118 Posts

Profile of Chris
Quote:
On 2005-02-18 14:30, stanalger wrote:
However, there's good news for those with patience. Chris Wasshuber
of lybrary.com is working on making this title available as an
eBook.

Stan, the "How to develop a perfect memory" ebook is almost done and will be released shortly.

To suggest that anybody else than Dominic O'Brien is a better memory man is ignorant of a few simple facts. Dominic is the 8 times winner of The World Memory Championship. There is nobody even coming close to what he has achieved. He demonstrated memorizing 54 shuffled packs of cards after just a single sighting of each card. Not one pack, not two or three, not a dozen, no, 54 packs.

His system is simply the best and most intuitive. It is engineered for the human brain. And anybody who has read "How to develop a perfect memory" knows that Dominic is a heck of great teacher. And besides some of the other authors, he recognizes the ones that came before him and gives credit where credit is due.

I have read quite a bit in memory, and this is by far the best book I have encountered. That is why I bought the electronic rights, not the other way around.

Chris Wasshuber
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
Memo
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Memo
Dominic is not the World Memory Champion anymore.
6 people are in front of him in the World Ranking List, because they got a higher score in an event then Dominic did in his best event. But of course he is still one of the best memorizers of the world and still holding a few world records.

And it will take at least 7 more years until anyone can beat his FANTASTIC record of being 8 times World Champion.

You can see the acutal World Raking List at:
http://www.memovision.de/html/weltrangliste__ab_18_.html

Best regards,
Boris
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
On 2005-02-20 09:49, Chris wrote:

Stan, the "How to develop a perfect memory" ebook is almost done and will be released shortly.

May we assume this will be available at Lybrary.com?

Quote:
On 2005-02-20 09:49, Chris wrote:
To suggest that anybody else than Dominic O'Brien is a better memory man is ignorant of a few simple facts. Dominic is the 8 times winner of The World Memory Championship. There is nobody even coming close to what he has achieved. He demonstrated memorizing 54 shuffled packs of cards after just a single sighting of each card. Not one pack, not two or three, not a dozen, no, 54 packs.

One thing you need to make clear is that he wasn't memorizing one shuffled deck, then another shuffled deck, but 54 shuffled decks together! In other words, he needed to be able to handle situations like three Jacks of spades in a row, or maybe a clump of nine 5's together (How would you remember a sequence like 5D, 5C, 5S, 5S, 5H, 5S, etc.?).
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1118 Posts

Profile of Chris
Sure, Dominic might currently not be in his top form, or maybe he is focusing on other things. One can assume that winning the Championship for eight times makes the whole thing a bit boring, doesn't it?

Do you know how many of the top 10 ranked use Dominic's system? My guess is that at least half use Dominic's system.

Chris Wasshuber

Scott,

> May we assume this will be available at Lybrary.com?

Yes, of course. It will be ONLY available at Lybrary.com.

Chris Wasshuber
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
Unknown419
View Profile
Inner circle
1332 Posts

Profile of Unknown419
Hey Memo I know what you mean regarding Harry Lorayne’s attitude, I felt it once before many years ago when I approached him in the late 80’s with Sal about helping me with his memory system. He just told us to by his book and spoke as if he was all that and a bag of chips, which to me was rude but hey I had to put an H on my chest and handle it and now I’m still searching for answers of which I see that you have the answer to. You Can Remember a Deck of Shuffled Cards in order in about 35 seconds.

Note: To any readers thinking that I dislike Harry this is not true, I just speak the facts. He’s still a genius at what he does but he needs an attitude adjustment when speaking to people like I do at times when writing to people. This is why I fooled him with my stripper deck and left him standing there with Doug Edwards as he asked how. Pay back is a b****, I did show Doug later on.

Back To My Question

Memo my goal is to remember a deck of cards in order in about the same amount of time that you do. Fifty-Two seconds would be my goal if you help me. I’m trying so many systems that seems to be doing okay but I know for a fact that those who excel in particular areas like you and myself finally come to the conclusion of the best way of doing something and this is one of the reasons why you probably don’t like the Harry Lorayne’s System; because you’ve found a better way.

I wish to learn what technique to practice and how to practice so that I can specifically direct my attention to the correct way of practicing and learning how to remember playing cards in order.

What I’ve Learn From You So Far

1. That you’re one of best in the world or very close to being the best. {I don’t blow smoke}
2. That this is not a trick and it will take much practice and long hours to learn it efficiently.
3. You have a better way of studying then using Harry Lorayne’s System
4. You have friends that do this and you follow and study it like a job or hobby.
5. You’ve won championships and are not too far behind the best in the world.
6. You’ve studied the origination of this memory technique.
7. You demonstrate and can remember 100 digits in about a minute.
8. You know who can do what and who can’t.
9. You don’t like just remembering persons only because it confuses you to easily. {This is one of the problems that I’m having at the moment}
10. If a person study hard like you he probably will be achieving his goal in about 6 months and with more practice get to remember cards down to about 35 sec.
11. I have to practice at least once or twice a day.
12. Andy Bell holds the world record.
13. There are better memorizing techniques out there but you have to be directed to them from someone who knows.

All I want to remember is playing cards or the numeric number of all cards and in what position they are in; suit does not matter in this variant.

At the moment up to remembering 7 to 8 cards in order. My cards are persons and in another system things: I’m having the same problem as you are. I will try to find this system (Dominic) that you use and combine people with action but this will take me in an entirely another direction. This is what’s so time consuming to me, I want to know which way to go and how to study.

Would you please help me?

Wanna-Be-Student

Doc
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Harry Lorayne is a great teacher. His memory skills are truly phenomenal because he is a master at using mnemonics and because he is also a great showman.

I met him at Louis Falanga's home up at Lake Tahoe and sat in on the video taping of his L & L Videos. I had the great pleasure of shaking his hand and thanking him. I told him that I would probably not have my college degree if it had not been for having studied "How to Develop a Super Power Memory" back in the sixties.

Having said that, it's also true that mnemonic systems go all the way back to ancient Greece, and Harry himself follows in the footsteps of other great mnemonics practitions and teachers such as David Roth. (Not the coin magician.) I have a copy of the Roth memory course published in 1955. But, the copyright dates back to 1918. The contents are startlingly similar to the systems that Harry Lorayne teaches. Other mnemonic writers and teachers that predate Harry Lorayne include Bruno Furst and Robert Montgomery. Kevin Trudeau is a relative newcomer to this area, but probably made a forture selling his memory course in informercials.

Dominic O'Brien's skills are just incredible. In a contest, he would probably easily defeat Harry Lorayne. But, could he step in front of an audience and entertain them and impress them as Harry does? Probably not. Harry may be quite a "New York" piece of work, and may have a big ego. But I hope and pray that he will live and continue to write for many years to come. The world is a more interesting place with him in it.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Developing your memory... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL