The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Real Bizarre » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
I have been a big fan of bizarre magic but my character and personality do not lend themselves to being credible in carrying off occult themes. Am I wrong in saying that bizarre magic must be tied to occult themes. It seems that what I consider the best bizzare have that type theme. What say you?
"Mentalism is a state of mind." Marelli
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Absolutely not, Marelli.

While bizarre is USUALLY tied to the dark and spooky, there's no reason it HAS to be.

As an example, go to the e-zine http://www.online-visions.com and check out my Bizarre Bazaar monthly column.

The notes for my current lecture, Bizarre Magic, point out that -- while the spooky may be common -- the important part of bizarre magic is to touch the audience at a new emotional level.

And, with a little work and thought, that can be done with humor as well as anything else.

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Everything can be bizarre when you look like me Smile

I have been quite fortunate, almost everything I do for people is percieved as being spooky or odd.

While I am into bizarre magic, I can get, freak out, "oh my god", reactions to card & coin tricks because of how people perceive me.

As the wonderfully insightful Mr. Maruuci stated, "the important part of bizarre magic is to touch the audience at a new emotional level".

I couldn’t have said it better myself!

Smile

Thanx,

Ichazod

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."

Ichazod@hotmail.com
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
I agree, even when I'm not doing magic people still think I'm bizzare, or just plain weird you be the judge! Smile
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
Carl Rheuban
View Profile
New user
Malibu, California
90 Posts

Profile of Carl Rheuban
This is a favorite subject of mine. I will try not to bore you with pages of thoughts, unless there are some out there who really want to spend some time getting into this subject in detail.

I agree with Peter and Ichazod that anything can be bizarre. The problem is that when most magicians think of bizarre magick - they automatically think dark, horror and occult.

I like to consider bizarre magick as a performance that purports to be real as opposed to the mere performance of skill or tricks. In this genre, I particularly like to perform what I call "White Bizarre." As Peter mentioned, the purpose is to move the spectators emotionally, however, White Bizarre would tend to cater to more sensitive emotions and subjects such as love, goodness, and happiness accomplished through kind (white) as opposed to dark props.

I feel more challenged in my magick performance to make spectators cry from a sensitive emotion than to make them scream from fright. It also makes me feel better about my own contribution to their entertainment (although I still occasionally enjoy scaring the wits out of them).

I look forward to others comments in this thread.

Carl
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
White Bizarre!

I like it.

A lot.

And, Carl, I especially like your views on it: to touch the spectator in a happy and joyous way.

Good.

Very good.

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
Excellent responses. Is what is being said the modern trend in bizarre magic. Is "It was a dark and stormy night and demons were about" no longer viable in bizarre magic? What say you?
"Mentalism is a state of mind." Marelli
Carl Rheuban
View Profile
New user
Malibu, California
90 Posts

Profile of Carl Rheuban
Definitely not, Marelli.

Bizarre Magick will always include occult, dark, horror, fear, and etc. In fact, few people think of Bizarre Magick as anything else. What we can learn from this more traditional form of Bizarre Magick, is that all magic performances should be Bizarre. At least when Bizarre is defined as purporting to be real (which is what all other performing arts, except magicians, attempt to accomplish).

Take the bullet catching illusion as an example. When was the last time you saw a magician have an audience at the edge of their seats afraid that the magician was risking his life. Now imagine Sean Connery doing a live performance of the bullet catching illusion. Would the audience be expecting a trick, or would they be carried away in a dramtic performance believing for the moment that he might actually die before their eyes? Drama and emotion are lost when spectators only expect another "Trick."

I personally think we should spend far more time talking about the spectators and how we affect them, rather than more moves, sleights and deceptions.

That is at least my two cents worth.

Carl.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
4071 Posts

I agree we do need to discuss the spectators more,they are the magic.

I'm just some guy helping them to discover it.

Smile
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Well put, Ichazod.

We are actors and the magic is the play.

And, no matter how good the actor, his or her primary goal is (or should be) to communicate the message of the play to the audience.

The same in magic: Our job is to help the audience discover the magic.

Marelli:

The current view in bizarre magic is not to shift the empahsis away from the occult or "spooky" but to broaden the emphasis to also include other settings and to reach other emotions.

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
In my current lecture, Bizarre Magic,

I point out that the key to bizarre is touching the spectator at a higher emotional level.

And that’s ALL it is.

It doesn’t have to be spooky, or scary.

That’s a cultural thing.

Voudon, Obeah, Santeria, Judaism, or Presbyterianism could be "spooky" in the right cultural setting. (I imagine that, to a Sufi, Presbyterianism would, indeed, be an exotic style of worship!)

Just because it appeared in a book does not make it so.

Sure, most bizarre leans to the spooky and the weird but, in answer to a question on another board, I did a routine (in my monthly column, Bizarre Bazaar, in the Visions e-zine -- (www.online-visions.com) --that is comedy bizarre.

And, having done it "in the trenches", I know that it works.

And there’s no reason why White Bizarre wouldn’t work, too.

To say that all bizarre magic has to be, by definition, spooky or scary, is a bit like saying all music has to be country and western.

Now THAT’S scary!

Smile

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
4071 Posts

Bizarre magic goes beyond the simple premise of being dark & spooky.

Bizarre by definition is being odd or weird,taking our magic out of the realm of being simply tricks.

With bizarre magic, you can touch on a spectators emotions in a way that they will not remember as being simply, "a trick".

Be it ghosts and demons or a story about lost love, it is all more than simple tricks & it is bizarre.

Thank you all for the input,

Smile

Ichazod
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Real Bizarre » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.35 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL