The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Daniel Garcia's Torn Video (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6165 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Get it! Get it! When the first piece sticks you are going to have to change your pants.

I've seen Daniel do it about a half dozen times and the looks he gets on the first piece is priceless. The pieces look like they are just sticking together. The first time I saw it I thought, "I get it. He's using rubber cement." NO!!! Get it! Get it!
And he has a lecture coming up so keep track of that, too. He has some incredible touchs on effects that are in the realm of psychic movements.

On top of all that, he's a really nice guy.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Hengky Ciptanegara
View Profile
Veteran user
Indonesia
389 Posts

Profile of Hengky Ciptanegara
Greg,
The "Ripped & Restored" effect also show the first piece that stick visually and no cover.

What is the advantage using "Torn" method?

Hengky
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6165 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I have Ripped & Restored and I don't remember the pieces looking that clean when they restore. The first piece and the second piece in Garcia's looks like they are just sticking together without any hand cover. Hopefully, they'll put a clip of it on the Magicsmith site so you can all see what we saw. Let me say this, Bob Kohler was with Hollingsworth when he created his effect and after seeing Garcia's he said it was better.
Greg
Hengky Ciptanegara
View Profile
Veteran user
Indonesia
389 Posts

Greg,
If you see again "Ripped & Restored" video, you will see that the first and second restoration was made WITHOUT ANY COVER of the hand and it looks clean especially the first one (the second restoration is a little bit suspicious) and the third restoration is LESS magical because it has a drawback (the last piece is not shown).

I'm just wondering does the "Torn" solve the THIRD RESTORAION problem or make it look better because I think the first and second restoration of the "Ripped and Restored" already looks magical.

Hengky
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6165 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Hengky, I've looked at the Ripped tape. Although, both are similar, I still feel that Daniel's is spookier looking. His first piece seems to just attach and the second piece has that quality also. The last piece is almost identical to the Ripped piece. All I can say is, I've seen all the one piece at a time effects and this one made me cringe. It just seemed like he had to be using some sort of glue to get the pieces to stick. Anyway, if you have any doubt then stick with Ripped because it is quite good, but you'll see what I mean when you watch Daniel's.
Greg
Rusty
View Profile
New user
England
77 Posts

Profile of Rusty
I have "Ripped and Restored" from Yves, and I think it is EXACTLY the same trick. All the posts have stated no difference between the two. It has to be exactly the same method of doing ripped, just a different handling. If you could see the 4th piece openly then I would purchase Torn but it's the same as Ripped surely.

If I purchase Torn, I feel as if it will be the same method with different handling, as I said above, therefore, I don't feel the urge to purchase this trick. On the other hand, if Ripped is exactly the same method then surely there's a case for copywrite!!!

Can someone send me a private e-mail who has both effects and give me a review of both without tipping the gaff of course to convince me that "ripped" is a different effect and I should purchase it.

Regards
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2272 Posts

Profile of Logan
I agree with Rusty, if there's some SOLID difference, then I'd be more interested!

I love T & R tricks and this is all very vague. I have Ripped & Restored and I feel it's very good. Is Daniel's handling easier or just the same? What is the difference?!

Logan
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
Hengky Ciptanegara
View Profile
Veteran user
Indonesia
389 Posts

I think that Daniel's Torn DOES NOT SOLVE the LAST PIECE problem and the "put the pieces inside the pocket" problem which are the two MAIN PROBLEMS on "Ripped & Restored".

Hengky
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6165 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I'm sure everyone is going to disagree until they see Daniel's version. I hope they put it on the Magicsmith website so you can view. I have no monetary interest in it, but I know that it looked different to me when I saw it performed. And at the Las Vegas Convention the room was filled with all the heavy-hitters and you could hear them go into shock when the first piece restored. Oh, well, like I said before, if you have Ripped then stick with it because it is a good effect.
Greg
clsaxn
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of clsaxn
Quote:
On 2002-09-24 09:35, Logan wrote:
I agree with Rusty, if there's some SOLID difference, then I'd be more interested!

I love T & R tricks and this is all very vague. I have Ripped & Restored and I feel it's very good. Is Daniel's handling easier or just the same? What is the difference?!

Logan

Logan:

You're right. The descriptions are vague, but necessarily so. This is Danny's effect and his to sell and disclose. The problem is that no one can fully answer your questions without revealing things that aren't ours to reveal.

At bottom, all T&R effects are the same or very similar effect from the standpoint of the spectator. I've seen both R&R and Danny's Torn. From the standpoint of the magician, I like Torn better, merely because it is easier. As a spectator (who is also a magician), I liked Torn better because it looks cleaner.

-James
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2272 Posts

Profile of Logan
Thanx James!

Coming from you, I think I'll take a whack at 'Torn'.

Cheers

Logan
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
mrmetropolis
View Profile
Regular user
who has only made
155 Posts

Profile of mrmetropolis
I might get it I just don't wanna get ripped. Have to see it first.

Jay
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary, for those who do not, none will suffice".-Joseph Dunninger http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4wL5fX3xGQ
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1260 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Mr. Met:

If all these people who saw it like it and if it fooled Bob Kohler (who bought a copy of the tape from Daniel), then the likelihood of your getting ripped is not very high.

I, too, saw the show performance at the LVMI and it looked impossible as the 1st piece just stuck there.

If nothing else, if the methods are similar (I don't know), you may get a different/better handling. Go for it!

Steve H Smile Smile Smile
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Long live Lowell and Richie!
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10608 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I bought the video Torn from Chris Magic Smith, the restoration effects are great, except for the last piece. That is pulled from the pocket. All in all, it's an amazing effect and not difficult to do. I've never seen Ripped and Restored, but it's comparible to Torched and Restored.

For those who haven't seen my effect Warped and Restored, only one card is used and both the face and back of the card is shown.
In my opinion TORN is one of the best effects out there.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Ben721
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of Ben721
Well I ordered it. I couldn't resist. I have torn and restored but ever since watching it love the torn and restored plot. I am hoping it is a different handling. I am sure it is. Maybe if there are parts I like of both routines I can combine them to make it smoother. I hope it truly is different.
Check out my new effect "As Good As It Gets" a gimmickles pencil or pen through bill effect. It closely mimmicks the slow motion phase of "Misled." About "As Good AS It Gets" for no gimmicks and everything being borrowed.
http://www.magic-notes.com/th
Kard16
View Profile
Regular user
Windy City
144 Posts

Profile of Kard16
Hmmmmm. I've heard a lot of this effect and would LOVE to see it. If anyone has a video of the performance please share. As for ripped and restored, it sounds the same except for how you guys describe the way the pieces "fuse" togather. BTW, is there a restoration where there is no crease left on the card, that would be pure magic.
gamma105
View Profile
Regular user
City of Evil
147 Posts

Profile of gamma105
Dave Williamson (in his book, Williamson's Wonders) has a version of the torn and restored (flash restoration), where you get rid of the creases in the final phase. It is a great routine! then again.. it's Dave Wiliamson, he just has that charisma....
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
Whew!!!

dudes, I saw Daniel do his T&R at the castle this past Sunday.

All I can say is that it is freaking NICE!

The best I have seen to date.

Normally magicians just stay kind of quiet when they see something cool, but these guys were just taken! You know when you hear the WTF's??? in the background that something good is happening. I caught him right during the restoration and I mean ***!!! I saw the pieces freaking fuse.... one sec it was 2 pieces and the next they were REALLY together..... I got that feeling that I got the first time I saw a dollar bill float.

All I can say is that it was nice.

And I'm not even a fan of T&R cards, but I have checked them all out. I plan on picking up the tape just cause I'm curious to see what the work is..... I still remember that first connection... just so nice!!!
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
I also saw Danny do this at the LVMI convention. It certainly blew me away. He also fried me with a vanish of a Jumbo coin in a flash paper flash. Danny is very talented both as a thinker and performer. I'm sure we'll be hearing a lot more about him.
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10608 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Everyone is excited about torn... it's a very good piece of magic. and is one of the best out there. Some of the members are willing to spend $30 and won't cough up the lousy $4 dollars for my warped and restored which is just as strong as torn. the members who received the videos that did not send shipping costs.
The video was free,,,,,,,,,,,
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Daniel Garcia's Torn Video (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL