The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Frightening the Faithful (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Grimm
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Grimm
I was practicing various moves with my Hummer Card the other day sitting at home. There was a knock on the door which I assumed to be my fiance so I didn't bother stopping my practice and opened the door with the card levitated and spinning between my hands only to find that it was a pair of religious folk spreading their word. When the door swung open they looked right at the card and sat staring without saying a word. I snatched up the card and tried to be friendly but it seemed to end any conversation they had in mind.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2445 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
God must have been looking out for you.
Excaliber
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Excaliber
I once did a show for a chuch , did not realize that my music I put in was from my college show . The opening production started with music cranked ( it was running with the devil by Van Halen) needless to say they were not amused . And I did not get re-booked LOL.
Lesson always check your music
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3453 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
I actually made a pianist disappear doing magic at a church and she hasn't been back since.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
magicswan
View Profile
Loyal user
springfield,ma
253 Posts

Profile of magicswan
That's awesome!!! I have a cousin that thinks it's the devils work even though I tell him that it's really not,but he also thinks his mother is possesed(really)
cardman1990
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of cardman1990
That's so great, I wish I coulda seen that. I would have just left the card spinning and told them to make me a ham sandwich
MagicMarker
View Profile
Elite user
498 Posts

Profile of MagicMarker
You should have said..

"Unless your god has shown you how to do this, I'm not interested".

-MM
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6864 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Ha! I can relate!

In 1978, I did a show for the after-church crowd at the Baptist Church in West Peru, Maine. It was the Zombie...you can probably imagine the outcome...

I was politely paid, and told I would NOT be invited back!

Doug
Rickfcm
View Profile
Veteran user
lower Michigan
380 Posts

Profile of Rickfcm
Should have said, "Just practicing for the rapture."
Rick
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
If I had a dolllar for everytime religious folks thought I was the devil, I'd be a wealthy man. In fact, that close mindedness on the part of a certain pastor toward all things magical caused me to leave church, and I have not returned since.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Truthfully, I would love to teach them and help them, but how can I do that when their mind is saled so airtight that they will not even listen to a single word I say? It's sort of like talkin to a wall...
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Matt Graves
View Profile
Special user
Huntsville, Alabama (USA)
504 Posts

Profile of Matt Graves
I know a magician named Jack Baldwin who is also a preacher. He's very well-respected in the community, and he is a great magician. He also teaches at our local college. Even though Jasper is a very religious town, his magic is A-okay with just about everybody. I don't know how he manages to juggle that . . . but I really respect him for it. If I can ever make my grandmother quit worrying about me being into magic, I'll feel like I've accomplished something. It all went down the drain when she caught me reading one of the Harry Potter books. Smile
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
LOL, well I'm a Greek Orthodox Priest. I do magic from time to time around the church, mostly during our coffee hour after liturgy, once in a blue moon in a religious education class to help make a point. We were having a lunch following Pascha (Orthodox Easter) recently, and I was doing a couple of tricks to entertain a couple of kids sitting at the table with me. Used a loop to PK a couple of things around, a ghost key, levitated a ball point pen with the loop, did a thumb tip trick. Well, I was surprised a couple of weeks later to hear from the wife of one of my parishioners that her husband, who was sitting at the table also, thought that I was working miracles and showing "spiritual gifts". Guess you never know what a reaction will be in a religious envirionment. Makes me recall that section in the early part of Tarbells where he covers the history of magic and religion.
A few weeks ago, I was sitting in a local diner for breakfast. An elderly lady sitting at the next table waiting on some of her friends to arrive, noticed my collar and began a conversation. She thought I was Roman Catholic and asked what I thought about the new pope. I told her I was Greek Orthodox, and she being Roman Catholic immediately understood that we aren't part of the papal church. We chatted a few minutes, and her friends came in.
She was telling them about our conversation and how she had asked me about what I thought about the new pope. Just at that time the waitress had finished taking my order, I eat there a lot and the waitresses know me as a magician, to entertain the waitress I used a loop to start moving a small bottle of hot sauce across the table apparently by PK. The elderly woman was about half way through her tale to her friends about asking me about the pope at this point and suddenly I heard her shout "To H*ll with the Pope! Look at that! I'm converting!"
Got quit a laugh in the place, and I , of course explained to her it was an illusion , not a miracle. I do have to remember when I'm wearing that collar to explain to folks that this is entertainment.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6864 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Wonderful story, Photius!

Thanks for that! Smile

Cheers!

Doug
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Absolutely wonderful photius!!
I had a similar situation, using IT, at a wedding reception once.
A lady backed up and almost fell over a chair. She was totally awe struck.

Another, not so magical incidident.
I was once Dungeon Master for the role playing game Advanced Dungeon & Dragons.
Two Jehovah Witness' come to the door.
I'd had a few drinks and wanted to babble so I invite them in.
On the coffee table are the books for the game.
Devils, monsters and demons on the covers.
Instead of them taking me into their realm, I babbled about AD&D, the Twilight Zone, etc.

I wasn't cruel about it and respect their efforts but as I said, I was drinking and the looks on their faces were good for a private laugh.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I keep a knife thru arm next to the front door for such an occasion.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
So...all I have to do to keep the Watchtower crowd from my doorstep is practice my Hummer Card more often? Done deal! I have a version of my kid show which I refer to as "The Imagination" show. I get the occassional call from religious groups and parents asking for a magic show without the magic...believe it or not. It's basically the same exact show...minus all card bits as playing cards are Satan's tools, I'm told...but the effects are a result of the children IMAGINING them happening...not magic. Fortunately, their checks cash just as well as our heathen ones.

:o) Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
blazes816
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, Kansas
522 Posts

Profile of blazes816
Quote:
On 2005-06-24 17:56, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
I keep a knife thru arm next to the front door for such an occasion.

I can see it know
"hey. mister salesman. if you don't leave right now this will be you." do trick.
MCM
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
456 Posts

Profile of MCM
Jaz as a D&D player/DM, Christian (not the nutcase variety), and magic fan, I found your story quite amusing. Did you ever do any tricks when doing D&D? You sure have enough materials handy at a regular D&D table.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
I always loved doing dice stacking when playing Runequest (a better RPG than D&D ever was - at least the Chaosium version of it - not the mess that Avalon Hill made of it later!). The players knew that the game was going to go MY way when I was Game Mastering, that was for sure.

Good thing I had a reputation as being a fair Game Master! Smile

In fact, I did my hypnosis show on the dealr's room floor at GenCon a few years ago, when the show was still in Milwaukee. THAT was a challenge, to say the least! Right across from Lou Zocchi dice, too - and they LOVED the dice stacking I did between shows!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Frightening the Faithful (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL