The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Bicycle cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ChEeKy_MoNkEy
View Profile
Regular user
FCCL
149 Posts

Profile of ChEeKy_MoNkEy
I've just made my first magic purchase, hey! - Royal Road to Card Magic, as suggested by many on here. I was going to purchase some Bicycle cards at the same time. However, it seems there are different types. Blue bikes/Red bikes! - what's the differences between the two?? - apart from the obvious one...lol. I also noticed you can buy Poker or Bridge - it mentioned in the description that Bridge are slightly smaller - I'm assuming they would be easier to handle for a beginner or do the Poker size bikes have some other advantage over the Bridge ones??

I would appreciate any comments before I go ahead and purchase these.

Many thanks,

CM
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
Color choice is by preference. Not many use the bridge size for magic. They work as well as poker size, but the professional magicians use poker size and if you ever get in to using gaffs, they all come in poker size.

It may be more impressive for tricks like card to wallet if a larger card vanished from the deck and appeared in your wallet, an envelope, back in the card case,etc.
~Joe
zur
View Profile
Special user
California
671 Posts

Profile of zur
It would be best to practice with poker size cards. Also its good to have both red and blue bikes so that you can change from time to time. Using the same color back usually is boring during practice.
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
Poker is pretty much standard. I suggest you get both colors. There are a lot of good effects using two colors. I personally prefer red because it has a brighter look to it. I use blue for mentalism type of work. This is just my personal preference. No hard and fast rules here I believe.

Peace,

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Choose which color you like - there is no rule here in magic. And use poker size cards, because this is the standard size in magic when it comes to geffed cards.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Zac Vee
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveling the world with
370 Posts

Profile of Zac Vee
I would say go for the poker size and you will soon be able to hold them comfertably, as for the colours red and blue are the same, but to have more effects in hands you will need red and blue and maybe two decks of the same colour, as you will find in the Royal Road, there are effects that require two cards of the same value and colour. Smile
peace, love and kindness.. no terms and conditions

1001 Magic Nights Blog
www.kasrani1.wordpress.com

http://www.kasrani.com/
okito25
View Profile
Regular user
Victoria BC Canada
145 Posts

Profile of okito25
I prefer reds .. My Buddy prefers blue .. low and behold we purchase 48 decks at a time and split the order.. they come in a dozen box .. 6 of each , I always use poker size ,
Keet
Ollie1235
View Profile
Special user
England
533 Posts

Profile of Ollie1235
Your better of using what you plan to use in the long run, so to avoid having to change.
once you ve found what you like, itsprobably best buying more cards than you think you need.

ollie
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
If we think back when we were laymen, I don't think we would notice or care what cards someone was using. Maybe if you were an experienced card player you would know quality, but the majority of the populice wouldn't take notice. Using what you like and feel comfortable with might be the best thing to do in the long run.
~Joe
Piper1973
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Piper1973
Quote:
On 2005-02-20 08:28, Ollie1235 wrote:
itsprobably best buying more cards than you think you need.

ollie

Isn't that the truth. I find I am always picking up a deck or two or four. I don't get mine in bulk, just whenever I go out. My wife got me six packs for Christmas. Some florishes are killer on the cards during practice.
alson
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of alson
One thing to keep in mind is the size of your hands , if you have very small hands
then bridge may be better.But I too have found out that most gaffed card are in poker size. I like blue backs ,if I am doing card sleights,but I was just taught
that way.Be sure to get as many decks as you think you will need , because in the
learning tricks you will go though some cards .
Aslon
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
It has been said blue has a calming effect and that red is more exciting.
If you plan on doing any effects that require signing the back of cards then of course red is best.

Practice with Poker and sometimes Bridge. I've borrowed decks and sometimes they are bridge size. Differences are not major but...it don't hurt to handle both.
Arthur Cogg
View Profile
New user
S Wales
8 Posts

Profile of Arthur Cogg
There are other colours of bike cards as well as the usual blue and red varieties so use what appeals to you. I like a mixed brick of red,blue,black and green if only to help me rotate my practice packs.
European cards are generally Bridge size and are probably much easier to use but as has been mentioned most gaffs are Poker sized so if that is the way you want to go get used to the Poker. Alternatively try making some or your own gaffed decks from the bridge cards.
David Fletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of David Fletcher
Bikes by the dozen in a box at Costco for under $14 per box
You have to give it away to keep it.
ChEeKy_MoNkEy
View Profile
Regular user
FCCL
149 Posts

Profile of ChEeKy_MoNkEy
Thankyou all for your comments and advice, very helpful.

Indeed, I had'nt really thought about how many decks I may get through when practising! - so it looks like I'd better buy at least two of each.

Also, I do have quite small hands and was originally thinking along the lines that bridge size may be easier for me to handle. However, Ollie 1235 mentioned it would be better to use what I plan to use in the long run. As I would like to get into using gaffs at some point, I might as well get used to handling the poker size from the start.

Ok, I think I'm ready to go and make my next purchase! Smile

Thanks again,

CM
Ollie1235
View Profile
Special user
England
533 Posts

Profile of Ollie1235
And iyoure in the uk remember to go to asda for your bikes

ollie
fantom
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of fantom
I use poker size. The color doesn't matter. As for buying in bulk....yes definately. I go through about two decks a wekk just practicing. ( I practice for three hours a day, This is time that I sit down for the sole purpose of practicing and doesn't include when I'm watching the telly and practicing a pass or what have you.)
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
Nothing do with colors. Just get what suits you best. I use green bikes for a change now. I'd say go with poker size. Bridge gets you more advantages but poker size makes you prepared to handle any size of deck, excluding junmbos.
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Color doesn't matter at all. It is all preference. Personally I rarley use bikes. I normally use Tally Ho's or When I do use bikes I only use Tactical Field Bikes. Avoid the two packs, they are not as good quality.
Tabasco
View Profile
Loyal user
The Netherlands
219 Posts

Profile of Tabasco
Also keep in mind that there are back with and without white borders. It depends on trick you preform what cards you use. But Bikes red or blue are a good starting point.

I also would advice to start with the poker size. Here in holland we don't play poker much and are all the standard cards you buy bridge sized. It was a lot of effort (for me) to get used to the bigger cards. So I wished I had started with poker....
the biggest card trick exchange center,
we have over 1600 tricks in our indexes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Bicycle cards (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL