The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Double-talk (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Ideation
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Ideation
Does anyone here use "double-talk" in his comedy? You know, comedy in which the performer uses either the wrong word or else a made-up word or otherwise incomprehensible word when he/she speaks? I find that to be hilarious if done well!
It seems that years ago there were more "double-talkers" performing, especially on tv, for example, Norm Crosby, although I'm not sure if his act technically falls into the category of "double-talk".
Mike Robbins
View Profile
Elite user
Anchorage, Alaska
447 Posts

Profile of Mike Robbins
I think the term is malapropism.
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
Shakespeare
WhiteAngel
View Profile
Loyal user
West Virginia, USA
269 Posts

Profile of WhiteAngel
I think that word is too big, lol
True illusionists strive to decieve the eye AND the mind.....
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14059 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2005-02-20 14:35, Mike Robbins wrote:
I think the term is malapropism.

Malapropism, specifically, refers to the practice of using the WRONG word in place of another, especially because of the speaker confusing similar sounds. For example, " Yup. "Mozart was a child progeny!" (correct word is prodigy of course, but the speaker is blissfully unaware of this.)

You are correct, Norm Crosby did this alot, and centered his act around it.

Another one who used this device frequenty was good ol' Archie Bunker.

Another close relative of this is spoonerism, in which the beginning consonants are accidently exchanged. For example, the famous Archie campbell reciting of "Rindercella" which of course translates to "Cinderalla."

Paul Winchell used this device effectively in the old Speed Buggy Cartoons. He voiced a character, whose name escapes me at the moment, and the character was always spoonering in every scene. It was quite effective, and comical.

Now double talk, on the other hand, is using deliberately or unintelligible speech made up of a mixture of real and meaningless syllables.

I have long wished I could learn this, as it sounds like a lot of fun. There was at least one book written on the subject years ago, (I saw it in a mall) which I didn't purchase, but which I now wish I did.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
spatrick
View Profile
Special user
Tom Sawyer let me whitewash these
514 Posts

Profile of spatrick
Daffydoug,

Our club Treasurer has a couple of copies of this book in his magic shop. Let me know if you still want to get one.

S. Patrick
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14059 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Do you have any idea how much he is asking for the book?
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
The late Roy Benson used double talk patter as part of his "Chinese Sticks" and "Hydrostatic Glass" routines.

Levent
spatrick
View Profile
Special user
Tom Sawyer let me whitewash these
514 Posts

Profile of spatrick
Doug,

I can find out!

S. Patrick
Arthur Cogg
View Profile
New user
S Wales
8 Posts

Profile of Arthur Cogg
Although not a magician the late "Professor" Stanley Unwin was a master of the art of unintelligible talk. Some have compared his use of English to that of a Jazz musician's improvisation. There are plenty of sites about him on the web and a search I am sure would be worthwhile.
ziatro
View Profile
Veteran user
Havant, England
322 Posts

Profile of ziatro
Malapropism comes from Sheridans play the rivals, in which the character Mrs Malaprop, consistently uses the wrong words. The English actress and comedian Hilda Baker was famous for her malapropisms.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4762 Posts

Profile of landmark
Used to have fun with double talk when I was kid. Go up to someone and ask them, "Do you know what time the wheggan thrill thrums?" or "Can you give me the sanafor for the apertaf?" "No, I'm talking about the quaffaree for the farragum, do you have that?"

And so on. . .

Jack Shalom
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14059 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Good examples! Do you have any more?
C Christian
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of C Christian
This is very odd to me... I never use it in my show yet when talking with prospective clients face to face I use it all the time and get laughs which almost always seals the deal.
Play around with it and see what you can come up with...
Cheers Chris
Popo
View Profile
Loyal user
Valparaiso, IN
219 Posts

Profile of Popo
This is fun but it does take a lot of practice to do it correctly. There are the ones whos substitute funny and nonsense words for other words. Then there are the Malaprops. The substituted word should sound like the original word, have the same amount of syllables, and the meaning should tweak what you are saying just enough to make it hilarious. Do listen to Norm Crosby. He was a master at it. If you listen to the words he substitutes and then think about what he has actually just said it is even more funny than hearing a misplaced word!
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
Ziatro.. Wow! Either you're full of it or your full of it. Knowledge?

I worked with Norm Crosby once and was able to watch his act from the audience. Funny stuff. How he comes up with such funny sounding words for such normal sounding words is impressive. The act I saw was pretty adult. Wonderful guy. I have a picture of him and Copper. That's my son's little stuffed dog that travels with me. He has been all over the place. His slide show is amazing. He's met Rich Little and Nipsy Russell on top of Mr. Crosby. Oh, and the Platters.

I also saw a guy on "Regis and what ever her name is now" that came on and did double talk as a gag on what's her face. He was supposed to be an expert on something and as he double talked what's her face was all agreeing with him. He was talking babble and she was like, "Uh huh" That is an art and funny in its place.

One is sprinkled throughout the routine as a punch line and was is the routine with babble mixed in with speech.

Will
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
Popo
View Profile
Loyal user
Valparaiso, IN
219 Posts

Profile of Popo
Will, Thanks for the insight. Norm Crosby was always one of my favorites when he was on the tonight show. I imagine it must be a hoot to work with him!
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
The other thing I wanted to say about Mr. Crosby's act was the first thirty minutes was all topical humor. Things that were written in the past few months topical. Thirty minutes of it. What is he? In his late 70's? To have written or even just memorized that much material. God I hope I'm that sharp when I'm his age. I don't know if I'm that sharp now. Then he went to his more standard material for the next thirty minutes. Using his malaprops.

Will
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
Whitewolfny
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Whitewolfny
I had a bad case of malapropism, but I've been taking medication and it's almost completely cleared up now.
Braxton Mannar
<BR>Just an old dog trying to learn new tricks Smile
Scotty Mills
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Scotty Mills
And remeber, the only way to prevent getting parking tickets it to take you windscreen wipers off!
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1035 Posts

Profile of bsears
I was out to dinner with a group of magicians in Chicago and a guy started doubletalking people. I had actually forgotten about it until now. I was one of the victims, and I can tell you it was embarassing at first, then fun when I realized what the deal was. Then more fun watching it happen to others.

I think its a knack kind of thing. Like speaking in a British accent when you are American or doing a realistic southern draw. Anyone could do it; only a few will be good enough to be convincing.

Yeah, its like gibberish sounds mixed in with real words. Done correctly the response, over and over, is "huh?" and "what?" until they either agree with you or give up.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Double-talk (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.64 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL