The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » I would like you guys opinions!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
James Watkins
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of James Watkins
Hi, for the past few months, I have been planning a manuscript based on NOTHING BUT FLASH PAPER MAGIC. This is something I think could be a welcome addition to the community. Why? Because I feel so many like fire magic, and flash paper, but just don't know how to use it! I have been performing flash paper magic for the past 6 or so years, and over that time have developed atleast 200 tricks with it. The manuscript I am referring to will be the firt of a three volume series... What do you guys think about this?

Later,
James
n3cromanc3r
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of n3cromanc3r
Well without having any idea of the effects your referring to it's difficult for me to say how I feel about it, but on the surface it sounds decent. It would make me take a second look to see if it's something I could use.
boboshempy
View Profile
Veteran user
Jersey
373 Posts

Profile of boboshempy
Lets see a video clip of you in action!
Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
Mr. Watkins, I would say go for it! Flash paper is something we all either have or want to find a way to stick in our act somehow, but just don't know how to use it exactly. If we are presented with a variety of ways, it will get our creative juices flowing and help us use this unique item in more ways than we possibly know how.

Daniel
James Watkins
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of James Watkins
Quote:
On 2005-02-20 23:05, n3cromanc3r wrote:
Well without having any idea of the effects your referring to it's difficult for me to say how I feel about it, but on the surface it sounds decent. It would make me take a second look to see if it's something I could use.

I totally understand what you are saying here. I have part of the manuscript written now, so I don't really want to give the effects away just yet, and of course, I didn't want to hype something up. I talked to a bunch of magicians and found that many of them had the flash paper, but because they felt it was pointless, the put it in the back of the drawer. Smile I think flash paper makes ANY performance magical in its own ways. When I get the effects written up totally, edited, and pictures are done, I will definately shed more light on the effects themselves. Thanks for your input. Smile

Quote:
On 2005-02-20 23:32, boboshempy wrote:
Lets see a video clip of you in action!

Trust me, for this one, there will be a video clip. That will come when the manuscript is done as well. Smile

[quote]On 2005-02-21 00:03, Daniel Santos wrote:
Mr. Watkins, I would say go for it! Flash paper is something we all either have or want to find a way to stick in our act somehow, but just don't know how to use it exactly. If we are presented with a variety of ways, it will get our creative juices flowing and help us use this unique item in more ways than we possibly know how.

It is my goal to put atleast 8 tricks in each volume WITH SOME PRESENTATION! I feel that the presentation, and flash paper, with a decent trick will equal total devastation in the mind of the spectator. I agree with you that most people just don't know what to do with it, which is part of my motivation for doing this manuscript. I don't want flash paper to become a prop that is put in the back of a drawer. I look at flash paper as my thumb tip in magic. A lot of routines I use, most of them actually, involve flash paper. The effects in the manuscript will be simple, strong material, but the flash paper will just add that much more to it. A freind of mine will be contributing, I believe four effects in the manuscript as well. I will keep you all updated on the progress. Any more thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Smile

Thanks,
James

I have four of the effects typed up in an outline now. I will add about 4-6 more in it over time and shoot pictures.. It is turning out to be a pretty nice manuscript...

Later,
James
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Make sure the cost of the book covers the cost of the litigations...
Slim Price
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Perhaps a better suggestion would be to make sure you have a lawyer help you write a disclaimer to cover your assets should anyone have a problem with the material in the book. Although I did get a chuckle out of Slim's comment...!

Just a thought...

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
James Watkins
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of James Watkins
Already took those steps. SmileI guess we'll see what happens..
Shaner316
View Profile
Loyal user
St. Catharines, ON. Canada
213 Posts

Profile of Shaner316
HI James. There is actually a small book on the subject of Flash Paper called "Flash Paper Tips" (D. Robbins & CO. INC) but it is fairly old (1976) that you may want to check out as well. It may give you a few new ideas for more flash paper effects (as well as making sure you are not copying someone else's work)

Hope this helps you out a little bit, and good luck. I can't wait to see your finished product!!!

Shane
slangers
View Profile
New user
Denmark
86 Posts

Profile of slangers
Any videos ?
James Watkins
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of James Watkins
Hi, thanks for the tip, Shane. I will look into it. There will not be a video until the manuscript is released, which will be about another month or so.

Later,
James
habilo
View Profile
New user
germany
44 Posts

Profile of habilo
Well, you´re asking for our opinions. hmmm, first of all i´d say write it down and release it. as you mentioned, you have developed more than 200 tricks with flash paper, so there will be surely enough material to share with us. go for it!
as soon as I read your manuscripts, I will let you know my opinion.

magically, habilo
Tyler_Magician
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of Tyler_Magician
Do you have a price margin yet? It sounds like a good book. I would get the pages profesionally printed and designed. Make it look good and durable, not just a bunch of pages that you typed and printed from your computer. There is nothing wrong with that, but it will look more professional.
-Tyler
James Watkins
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of James Watkins
Hi habilo. There are some of these tricks I don't think will see print because I just don't find them at all practical. Some of these, I don't want to release, because I simply want them all to myself. Smile I am thinking of making it a 3 booklet series with a total of 8 routines in each one, maybe more. Then eventually combining them, and adding more to it. This will not be expensive, probably 10 bucks for it. I am not sure how I am going to go about releasing it, being a PDF, booklet, DVD, etc. Thanks for the input!

Later,
James
habilo
View Profile
New user
germany
44 Posts

Profile of habilo
Hi james,
releasing your ideas as a pdf might be the easiest way, but keep in mind, that pdfs are easy copied and then going around. that will not pay your work. if you want to sell it for 10 bucks, you probably can´t produce a good dvd. if I were you, i´d put it into a booklet and let it professionally print.

just my thoughts...
James Watkins
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of James Watkins
Hi, the first two manuscripts I released, Phoenix Rising and Supernatural Possessions were as PDFs. I wish I wouldn't have done this. So, quite possible, it will be a booklet or a DVD. I am thinking of teaching Phoenix Rising in the DVD if I decide to go that route as it is a flash restoration. That may be the main theme of the DVD. One step at a time though. I will need to get a good camera, etc. Find a duplicator, graphics, etc. Sound like fun? If this becomes a DVD, it will probably run 20-25 dollars at the most, as that is standard price. As far as a booklet, I would say 12-15 dollars. Thanks for the input.

Later,
James
CrissAngelFan56
View Profile
New user
Sandusky
2 Posts

Profile of CrissAngelFan56
I didn't see a forum for fire wallets, but I just wondered where I could get a quality fire wallet. If someone could help me with this it would be greatly appreciated. I am new to the Magic Café and I'm still trying to learn my way around. Thanks
James Watkins
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of James Watkins
Hi CAF, do a search on the Café and I am sure you will come up with something.

I just thought I would let everyone know that for the time being, I am putting this booklet aside. I want a little more time to decide which effects will go into what. Also, it has crossed my mind to do a DVD for the flash paper stuff, and also to include my Phoenix Rising, which is a flash restoration. If I do this, Phoenix Rising will probably be the main theme, but the others will be on there taught in full detail as well. I am still undecided though. Just thought I would let you all know. I have gotten quite a few e-mails asking about this.

Later,
James
Paul D
View Profile
Elite user
NY
455 Posts

Profile of Paul D
Ill sell you my flash paper to lollipop effect.
Astonishment as Therapy...?
RealDeal JU
View Profile
Veteran user
New Jersey
375 Posts

Profile of RealDeal JU
I think it would be a great idea. I'm new to flash paper and would deffinatly check it out. I know the possibilites are nearly endless to things you can do with flashpaper, but if you made a manuscript I would be very likely to pick it up. Let me know how things go with it.

Jim
"Challenge yourself to come up with your own

material, rather than buying into the idea that

you have to do the same thing that everyone

else is doing to be a good magician."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » I would like you guys opinions!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL