The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » "PK Touches" and "The Web" for b-day party (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MAGICTOM
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, Tx
354 Posts

Profile of MAGICTOM
I am doing an 11 year old girls b-day party this weekend and I am tweaking my routine a bit.. I thought about throwing in PK touches and The web to stirr things up a bit..

I performed PK touches on my 7 year old daughters... and told them that sisters have a link between them that no one else does.
it went over well...

And I performed "The Web" for a group of 11 year old girls this last Saturday, it's funny..the kids and teens seem so excited when you tell them you have a SCARY trick
to perform, and then say "I better not, it might be too scary".. their curiosity is going crazy and they will literally BEG to see the scary trick..

That is my approach to the web, I tell them its scary and tell them to promise not to beat me up if I show it to them... it has gone over pretty well.. but I dont know what the parents would say if I made a kid cry with it.. ya never know.. I figure 11 year olds would like it, but again, ya never know..
Should I ask the parents if they have a phobia against spiders? and should I ask their permission to perform this trick?
Please help me out on this one.. I think adding these 2 tricks to my Birthday party routine could be a lot of fun.. but I dont want to make a blind mistake..Opinions would be greatly appreciated..
Thanks
Tom Defrange Smile
No Man is his craft's master the first day!
J.B. Bobo
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
I would strongly suggest that you query the parents if anyone is suceptable to anachrophobia before the show. This is a very common fear and if you had performed it on my wife when she was eleven it would most likely have sent her into convulsion.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
MAGICTOM
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, Tx
354 Posts

Profile of MAGICTOM
This is a good point...
I would just die if I made some poor child cry... I dont think it is worth the risk..
Thnx Payne
Smile
J.B. Bobo
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
1607 Posts

Profile of Ross W
...but it's very funny...!(stifled chortle)

Actually, I *do* think The Web is quite funny, but I've never performed it. But scaring 11 yr olds? Hmmm dunno. My nephew (now 13) would've loved it!!

PK touches though...quite spooky, no?
Author
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
MAGICTOM
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, Tx
354 Posts

Profile of MAGICTOM
PK Touches can be spooky or interesting..
for instance if you have the b-day kid and his/her best friend as volunteers, you can go into the effect with the mindset of how
you can really tell if you and your friend spend WAY too much time together..
and perform pk touches.. a bit of humor could actually be added into this spooky trick..
Thanks for the input folks
Tom Smile
J.B. Bobo
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11911 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
PK sounds great for 11 yr olds. I do mentalism for 10 and over and they love it.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I think PK touches would be difficult/impossible to do for 11 year olds.
ThePartyMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
Bristol, UK
216 Posts

Profile of ThePartyMagician
It depends what impression you want to leave the kids with. Do you want them to remember you as the guy who scared the c**p out of them, or do you want them to think of you as the guy they'd like to come to their party?

Just a thought
Mike
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1815 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Anachrophobia is why it works so well . . . .

I imagine they would love both! As for scaring them, I think they will ask you to another party to do it again.

As for anachrophobia, well, it is an irrational fear, and people can be fearful of anything, so the best way not to offend anyone is not to take the gig . . . I think you lead in will be fine. As a group, kids that age love to be scared. If they had severe anachrophobia you would know as you were handling the cards.

PK stuff can be hard for this age group because they are very "grabby", but as long as that is covered you should be good to go!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » "PK Touches" and "The Web" for b-day party (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL