The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » 100-Foot Rope Escape (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
TommyTheTremendous
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of TommyTheTremendous
For the "100-Foot Rope Escape" I was told to buy some thick/heavy rope. Can anyone specify exactly what kind of rope is best for this trick? The type of rope, braided or not, etc etc etc. I would greatly appreciate it.
- Tommy Magic
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
I like to go for the braided rope, but I beleive it depends on the EA. I have actually changed to escapes from a thinner rope for the simple reason that, I have been told that Escape from a thick rope for me would be easy due to my size (I am very small and skinny in stature), therefore, It seems more beleivable to the audience if I escape fron something suited to my size. ie. Thinner rope. Practice with different kinds and find out which suits you better as well as what the specs enjoy. You can do this by visiting different friends and lending their ropes and getting them to bind you. You get practice and you get to find out which would best siut your performance.

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
TommyTheTremendous
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of TommyTheTremendous
Braided rope. Gotcha. Also, what kind of rope exactly? I know not to use magician's rope or nylon, lol. If I remember correctly, my friend said something about rough-looking rope. He never mentioned the material the rope is made of.
- Tommy Magic
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Tommy...please stay way from nylon rope, it's crap to tie and it burns the skin !! Steve Baker,the world renowned Escape Artist, says to use 1/2 inch sash cord. Trust me, that man knows his rope !

~Rick~
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Just make sure the sash cord is cotton and not a nylon or other synthetic type of cord. I made the mistake of using the synthetic stuff a couple of years ago and I still have scars from the rope burns.

Good old fashioned cotton or hemp rope is the stuff I prefer for this effect. And make sure you keep telling your assistant volunteers to hurry. It tends to make things easier, if you catch my drift...

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
I'm the oddball I guess. I use 3/4" nylon rope. I like the bright yellow color and size on stage as it is very visible. I find the nylon a bit more comfortable than the hairy hemp ropes also. The rope I use is also massive in weight by the time you hold on to 100' of it and its mass gives the impression of being very secure. When asked the majority of the audience is skeptical that I will escape faster than it took the volunteers to tie me.

At my show Friday night I did this escape and was tied in faster than ever before. The two guys doubled the rope as they tied using up the rope faster than normal. Their time was 1:05. Of course mine was just under theirs. Smile
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5110 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
You need to experiment for yourself. Different types of rope handle different ways. All of them can give you rope burns. Some will also give you cuts. But you need to know them all.

I've also been bound (to mention only a few items) with chains, electrical cords, hoses, and a lot of kinds of tape. Each has advantages and disadvantages. And each works best, in different situations.

For a full-body tie, I prefer 1/2" braided nylon rope. For something like the upside-down straitjacket, with burning rope, I'd be crazy, and completely stupid, to even consider nylon.

Each is something that you'll eventually have to deal with, if you encourage your committee to be creative. Encouraging them is an important thing. When they're empowered, it makes you look even better.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
3/4 inch should do fine. and the thicker the rope the ?????? it is to do.
Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
Quote:
On 2005-02-21 08:25, Harley Newman wrote:

I prefer 1/2" braided nylon rope.

I also found that about 1/2 inch, braided rope works well. Got some at Wal-Mart for a few bucks. But then again, you're going to have to test out for yourself to see which is more comfortable for you. Good luck!

Daniel
If it is to be, it is up to me.
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
I think I should order some rope through you lot overseas. Over here it is almost more expensive to buy rope than it is to buy chain.

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
South Africa
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Wolfie why not buy chain then or import it.
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
I Already have chain. 20 Meters, 10 meters and a few small pieces.
Wolflock
South Africa
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Talking of chain, what weight of chain do you guys like to use for say the 100' tie?

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5110 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Heavy?
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
For the 100-foot chain tie? Plastic chain!
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
I have quite a heavy chain.
Wolflock
South Africa
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Plastic? Do you not find the audience react badly to you using plastic chain? If not, then it sounds like a good idea. Especially if you have shows back to back.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Quote:
On 2005-02-24 04:39, Roslyn wrote:
Plastic? Do you not find the audience react badly to you using plastic chain? If not, then it sounds like a good idea. Especially if you have shows back to back.

Chance. I don't know how I missed your Post there but I must agree with Rosly here. Is it effective? Do you have to explain a lot to the audience? Tell us more. I am VERY curious now. It would be fascinating to see them.

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
South Africa
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
It probally is fascinating to see. you are still chained up. but its a lot liter to carry with you.
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
939 Posts

Profile of Riley
I think it was John Novak who suggested calling the plastic chain "garden chain", then if the specs who are chaining you up comment on the plastic, you say "that's right . . garden chain!!"

Personally, I like the noise made by steel chain as it snakes it way out of the bucket, a good crowd puller and fascinating to watch. But I do like the DeVal plastic gaffed link . . am I the only one who likes this???

Riley
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » 100-Foot Rope Escape (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL