The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » 100-Foot Rope Escape (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Um, guys, you've been had. That was a little thing called "humor". I know, I know, it's not used here too often -- but still, I never thought anyone would actually fall for it! I also use steel chain, but only 2 pieces that are each about 25-feet. The real point of my comment was to point out that 100 feet of chain amounts to OVERKILL. Kinda like using a jail lock to secure a screen porch door.
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
939 Posts

Profile of Riley
Quote:
On 2005-02-24 16:44, Chance wrote:
"...100 feet of chain amounts to OVERKILL..."

Or at least a hernia Smile
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5110 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I used to use 100' of steel chain, and a dozen ungimmicked padlocks. It's a lot of weight to carry around, and a royal pain to untangle.

I've spoken with folks who say the plastic chain is great, but having seen some of the other things they did in their shows, I can't help but wonder if their grip on audience-reality is solid. If it actually DID work, it'd be great.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Gee their using jail locks to secure screen doors now. I'll hate to see the price of those. j/k
sbroomheadsr
View Profile
New user
This, That, and only
54 Posts

Profile of sbroomheadsr
You can get some 1/2 inch rope at a home improv store that looks like rock climber rope. You call attention to the rope "just like climbers use"; every one know how strong it is.

I use two 50 foot ropes and start with a slip loop over each wrist pulled tight. I also start with the suggestion of placing my arms in a straitjacket position and let the voluteers go from there.

Oh, as for plastic chain, call it a "space-age polimer", lightweight and strong.
S Broomhead
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Theres a excellent idea for the chain. a light weight metal that makes it feel/sounds like plastic.
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
I just want chain that is not so darn heavy!! The one I use now is not too bad but is still heavy when I have all the handcuffs on too. I am not exactly built like some of the guys here. Check out Rick's Escape Asrtist's site and you will see how small built I actually am.. Chance, you are a cruel man getting my hopes up like that. LOL. jk.

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Wolfie go for the plastic and say its a new space age metal.
mk
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of mk
Can anyone suggest a resource to learn the 100 foot rope escape?

Mike
KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
"33 Rope Ties And Chain Releases" by Burling Hull goes into great detail on the routine, along with audience management tips.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3323 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On 2005-02-21 01:22, TommyTheTremendous wrote:
For the "100-Foot Rope Escape" I was told to buy some thick/heavy rope. Can anyone specify exactly what kind of rope is best for this trick? The type of rope, braided or not, etc etc etc. I would greatly appreciate it.

Have not performed the effect but have read it and understand the principle. I would think the harder the rope is to manipulate (such as tying tight) the more beneficial it would be.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
You want it to be comfortable too.. cheap, coarse rope will cause a lot of friction burns and will reduce your manouverability. Finishing the escape and still having skin left is a definite plus.

I use soft nylon sailors' rope - it's a bit dearer but well worth the money.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5331 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
There are two booklets published by Lee Jacobs. One is on the 100-Foot Rope Escape and is written by Jacobs. It is a fairly complete thesis on the escape. There is a second companion book called something like “What Lee Jacobs Didn’t Tell You About The 100-Foot Rope Escape” by John Novak. Between the two there is everything you need to know to successfully present and perform this dramatic and technically easy stunt.

Presently I’m using a soft, synthetic, climbing rope (bought the end of a spool at the local adventure sports store). It is a bit expensive compared to some rope that you can buy at a hardware store, but it is very colorful, strong, and durable.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Got my signed copy right here Harry, it is for the 75' rope challenge with a very long title. I guess it should have been 100' but I cut mine at 75' like the book. Same climbing rope from Home Depot. works very well since knots go in and come out easily. The other 25' got cut smaller for a couple of other ties. Tom Frank uses a very large 1" or thicker maybe 1 1/4" 100 foot rope.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5331 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
You are right I just double-checked. The complete title of the booklet is “The Real Methods & Secrets of the Challenge Escape From 75 Feet of Rope”. What a title!

The Novak book (also published by Lee Jacobs) is “What Jacobs Didn’t Tell You About The Rope Escape.”

Both together don’t cost over $20.00 including postage! Both are full of real world tips.

Dixie Dooley also recommends and uses a thick diameter rope (more than an inch). My rope is less than an inch in diameter. I used to have a one and three quarter inch thick hemp rope that I used. It was fifty-five feet long and weighed a ton! I got if from a Navy salvage yard. It was rough on the skin even after I “prepared” it. It pulled a vanishing act!

Interestingly, most audience members believe that the thicker the rope the more secure you can be tied and the more difficult the escape. We know that just the opposite is true!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
mk
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of mk
Thanks for the great resources! Any thoughts about the possibility of combining the 100 Foot Rope Escape with a gimmicked straight jacket escape?
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Why use a gimmicked sj? If you're using a humane jacket with no loops etc, then you shouldn't have too much of a problem with it.

What sj do you have?

Take care,

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
Ros, I think MK is referring to an escape like our old friend DC who did the burning rope SJ escape with chains added on top. (I think it was chains?) Well at any rate it wasn't 100 feet worth, looked more like 20, but when I first saw this
back in my pre-escape days, I remember being pretty impressed.
Best regards, Tony Parisi
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » 100-Foot Rope Escape (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL