The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A turn of the page » » Fond memories of kids' magic books (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
blwrjw
View Profile
Regular user
The Top of the Mountains
177 Posts

Profile of blwrjw
An older friend of mine recently decided to clear out his closet and offered to sell me a box of stuff. "Magic Made Easy" and "Spooky Magic," both of which I checked out of the library *many* times as a kid were in there. I was pumped.

B.
...before you go rushing off to show your friends a new field of miracles, you should get well acquainted with tools of the trade.
-- Tony Corinda

One can never have enough socks...
-- Albus Dumbledore
Kuma
View Profile
New user
Sydney
51 Posts

Profile of Kuma
One of my first Magic Books was "The Puffin Book Of Magic" by Norman Hunter. I'm currently trawling Amazon & EBAY to find another copy as the original was given away by my mother when I moved out of home. Smile
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
783 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Quote:
On 2005-02-22 04:57, Ronin wrote:
I hope you all might indulge me a little....

I was recently reminiscing about some of those really fun magic books I used to read when I was a child. I'm talking about books written for kids. I especially loved Joseph Leeming's "Fun with Magic" and the Bill Severn books (particularly "Magic and Magicians", "Magic Shows You Can Do" and "Bill Severn's Magic Workshop"). I also fondly recall a book titled "Practical Lessons in Magic", and another titled "So You Want to Be a Magician", both by authors I cannot remember. A ten year old could put together a pretty *** good act from these books.

I haven't seen anything like them in public libraries in years (decades, really). I'm curious if any of you recall these, or what you read, or maybe if anyone collects these books.

Thanks for listening. Gosh, it makes me feel good just thinking about those books.

I fondly remember all of those books. "So You Want to be a Magician" I found particularly inspiring. Especially the last part talking about how you feel after your first magic show - if memory serves.

I have a copy of the Leemings Books...Fun with Magic..and More Fun with Magic. Great memories.
duanebarry
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of duanebarry
My favorite book as a kid had the unassuming title of Magic Tricks: Easy Stunts to Amaze Your Friends by Ross and Pat Olney, with wonderful illustrations by Don Slagie. It's the size and paper quality of a ooloring book, staple-bound -- sadly not meant to last. Published by Golden Press in 1975, its 64 pages sold for 79 cents.

But the magic was great! The 9-page mind reading chapter was like Annemann for 10-year-olds, with 2 different book tests, a one-ahead billet reading, a second-sight routine, a living-and-dead test repackaged as boy or girl names, a names-in-the-hat divination and a telephone revelation.

The art was engaging. Jeepers the Ghost and his top-hatted rabbit pal were charming and guided the reader through the book, but the best part is the kids. Slagie drew LOTS of different-looking kids, including a few kids of color, all doing the magic. I count 8 different girls shown as the magician throughout the book -- the field could use more modeling like this!

Slagie also drew kids enthusiastically watching the magic, helping (along with some of the text addressing this) to teach kids to be a good audience as well.
duanebarry
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of duanebarry
The Jerry Lewis Book of Tricks and Magic mentioned above is a strange book. It consists mostly of matchstick arrangements and similar "betcha" items, plus THE CENTER TEAR!

I have a copy here that I'd be happy to pass along. If somebody would like it for two bucks plus postage, drop me a PM.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1832 Posts

Profile of Anatole
There is a children's magic book I remember checking out of my school library when I was in 5th or 6th grade way back in the 1950's. I can't remember the title, but there was a very nice rising card effect with a handkerchief using a gimmicked card as a modification of the plunger principle. Does that ring any bells with anyone? I later modified the gimmick slightly for my close-up card magic repertoire. If I ever publish a book of magic I might include my improvement on the trick, but I'd like to reference the original kids' book that inspired it. Does that ring any bells with anyone?

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2010-09-20 08:03, Kuma wrote:
One of my first Magic Books was "The Puffin Book Of Magic" by Norman Hunter. I'm currently trawling Amazon & EBAY to find another copy as the original was given away by my mother when I moved out of home. Smile

That book was also published as The Norman Hunter Book of Magic. There are several copies of the original version for sale on Amazon.com right now.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Ms. Merizing
View Profile
Loyal user
Edwin Carl Erwin is digging postholes for
232 Posts

Profile of Ms. Merizing
Pity my childhood copies of The Boy's Book of Magic (1949) & The Boy's Book of Conjuring (1940) were fed into the 'shredder' that my two younger brothers represented. Recall leafing through those titles with a kids' assurance that each page was a key through the gateway of mystery. I'm reminded of those initial moments of wonder when I read theatrical magic today.

My brothers & I put our parents in a wicked twist on working the chemistry found in The Boy's Book of Conjuring. Merely a preface to what we got up to on learning how to make black powder.
Pleased to continue finding that all the world's a stage.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I never knew you were involved in the black powder movement! Smile
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Ms. Merizing
View Profile
Loyal user
Edwin Carl Erwin is digging postholes for
232 Posts

Profile of Ms. Merizing
Quote:
On 2011-07-30 02:49, Bill Palmer wrote:I never knew you were involved in the black powder movement! Smile

Yes Bill, in the 60's I was part of a radical splinter group that supported the right to arm bears. Black bears, that is. Right arm, man!

"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn..."
Pleased to continue finding that all the world's a stage.
ageo
View Profile
New user
Bogota, Colombia
69 Posts

Profile of ageo
Reading the material in this forum, I recognize the importance of libraries to the advancement of our science. Having a book in one´s hands is a wonderful feeling that we must strive to keep for society. Nowadays, public funds for libraries are diminishing. We canot allow that to occur.

Edward Stoddard´s "The First Book of Magic" was one of the first I recall having read multiple times, and checked it out from my school´s library quite often.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
"The Magic Show Book" by ALEXANDER THE MAGICIAN, was my first book (public library). I dutifully returned it to the library. MANY years later, Jay Marshall and I were discussing THIS topic. I mentioned the title. Jay went back to his library, and brought out a copy. Now, that copy is "enshrined" in my library!

I also mentioned Joseph Leeming's "Fun With Magic". (It had a list of magic dealers in the back. I sent for Abbott's #7 catalog immediately. Jay got up and went back to his library. He returned with a copy of Leeming's book. It sits next to Alexander's! --Not quite true! Sandy Marshall's "Beating a Dead Horse" (Jay's biography) sits between Alexander, and Leeming!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A turn of the page » » Fond memories of kids' magic books (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL