We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Non-magical medium? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ptbeast
View Profile
Special user
Oregon
829 Posts

Profile of ptbeast
I was talking to my wife about some ideas for a séance that I am putting together when I mentioned that she much better fit the role of a "medium" than I do. I have tried to get her involved in my projects before, but she has only been willing to do behind the scenes work. She is great with people and has good acting skills, so I was thinking of incorporating her into the séance. In fact, I was thinking of putting her center stage, with me playing the role of a skeptical guest. It could lead to some great by play, in my opinion. Since she has tentatively agreed to do this, I am looking for some feedback.

Has anyone out there ever performed a séance (or other bizarre/magical entertainment) where the apparent lead performer was not a magician? Any ideas on how to take advantage of such a situation? Dangers to be aware of?

Thanks in advance,

Dave
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Hmm.. on the face of it, I think that sounds great. Since you're really the one pulling the strings, it should appear all that more real.
But.. it's going to take a lot of thought, planning, and modification, I think, to pull it off. You're still the one that has to do the center tears, or the PK effects, the palming, the tarot revelations, what have you, whatever you're planning to do.
But it's a good idea all in all; people, in general, I think, are more receptive to women than men, especially in venues like fortune telling or matters involving personal communication.
Years ago I had a Halloween party where one of the guests (the keyboard player's wife) could read tarot. I didn't know this, and wasn't doing magic at the time, so the tarot cards were out strictly for decor and mood, along with lots of other occult and creepy goodies. She mentioned her familiarity with them when she saw them, and started doing everyone's reading. It was quite a hit. In fact, I just picked up "Complete Idiots Guide to Tarot" a few weeks ago, because I want to learn myself, whether as part of a magic show, or just a straighforward, honest to goodness reading. But maybe I should try and teach my wife ;-)
Good luck if you go for it, and be sure to post your experiences in dealing with the logistics of a proxy medium.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Crossroads Mystic
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
498 Posts

Profile of Crossroads Mystic
Hey Dave,

I think it could be a great idea to have the Medium not do any of the work. For one she can put %100 into presentation and second she can’t get caught dirty. I’m not sure about the “skeptical guest”, I personally wouldn’t set myself up as a shill in a show I was putting together. But, you could be the Medium’s assistant or do the first have of the show. It all depends on what kind of show your doing. A few years back there was a local production of Eugene Burger’s Haunting (from Spirit Theater), the first part was preformed by one person, who then introduced Medium for the séance (dark part) of the show. She may or may not have help with work of the dark part (I don’t think she did). As a nice ending when the lights came up the Medium was gone. Do overlook a little two person coding, too.

Gavin D.
...from whose bourne,

no traveler returns...

Formerly Mr.Skin

facebook.com/CrossroadsMystic
missdirection
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of missdirection
One tip....... when the lights go out have a gloiw in the dark marker on the wall so you know where you are within the room... moving objects by IT always scares them, simple but the most effective thing that works on the audience... having the medium die and come back to life made one guy run out of the room... try that.... any way good luck
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
I think it sounds great, after all there are seances that have been sucessful when not one "effect" has occured, the minds of the participants do all the work for you!
I will say that out Murietta work this last Halloween was fun, Tory played the medium, and had absolutely no wires, lifters or gimmicks of any kind on , near or reachable by her person.........Candles went out, cups rattled, and apports appeared
Oh my! a bullet in my teacup?!?
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
Truth is, Seance work is amongst the more difficult modes of "Bizarre" magick to present properly. I would highly recommend investing the next year + doing some solid research, workshops, etc. BEFORE attempting to pull a program together. Especially if you have only nominal experience presenting this kind of work. The psychology is the key to everything! Unfortunately, most that are new to this kind of work put too much material and/or effects into the mix -- LESS IS MORE!

I've said it at least a few thousand times... learn from the shut-eye Psychics! If you want your demonstration to feel "real" then study the way of the modern-day Medium (vs. the classic Victorian era Spiritualists most of us mimick). I'll also suggest that you look at Rick Maue's new B.O.S.S. "Lecture". This is a wonderful bit of experiential magick that allows the patrons to come to some awesome conclusions about haunted houses, and so forth. Rick just used this approach at a recent Randi Foundation function in Las Vegas and it floored most of the learned members gathered. That's saying a great deal when it comes to this kind of material.

Best of luck!
ELS
View Profile
Regular user
Chicagoland area, IL
191 Posts

Profile of ELS
Suggestion..
I became friends with a medium who also
does past lives readings etc.. She has
20 yrs of doing seances, past lives,
reading old mirrors etc.. So when
it comes to doing a seance be it in a
commercial location or private party,
I have her there with me, I get it going
and let her do her thing. No magic or
any thing, just what she is good at
and I sit there amazed at the reaction
of the people when the lights come back
up.

I have to agree less is better.

Ed
Were the border between the natural and the supernatural will be nothing any more but fuzzy. http://edwardshanahan.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Non-magical medium? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.7 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL