The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Favorite set of cups!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
R_B_C
View Profile
New user
Fort Worth, Texas
65 Posts

Profile of R_B_C
Of all the cup sets I have owned, its a tie between the two I kept for all these years, my Copper Paul Fox cups by Danny Dew, and my wooden Mikame combo set (the one where all three are a chop cup). I would love a set of the Sherwood cups..but I'm gonna have get me a big piggy bank to save for those!
R_B_C
"If you can't convince them, confuse them." -Harry S. Truman
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I used to have a set of those Mikame wooden combo cups. The collection in the museum is my second go at collecting cups. I gave up on it a few years back and sold most of my collection -- all but the Stubbies, Charlie Miller, Tayade Sr., and Bells of St. Mary's -- to a used magic dealer. I wish I'd kept those Mikame cups.

The funny thing about those cups is that they didn't sell very well. One dealer I know broke up all his sets and sold them as chop cups.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
What are the Mikame cups worth?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I see several design flaws in my Babe cups but they look beautiful and take a descent orange, as well as a beating (I've dropped them on concrete. No problem). Babes take a Baseball? Not quite as advertised.

I wish the top depression was a tad "sharper" so you could "grab" it with a wand.
The cellini cups are OH SO NICE FOR TIPPING BACK WITH A WAND......
Just watch sonny holiday on "The Art of ..... I"

The Babes are not all the same size, but the shape is very nice and they take a descent load.

The sherwoods take a tennis ball but that ain't enough for me.

If I find other cups that can take a 9" baseball, easy to tip back with a wand, copper, hand made, nice price, and durable .... I be getting 2 sets.

I always buy a spare set. Keeps the blood preasure down.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
For the first time, I dropped a sherwood cup on a tile floor. I almost couldn't watch myself as I picked it up as I was sure there was going to be a dent. there was nothing! no scratch, not dent, no mark! I was then positive that by accident, I had switched the cups, nope, everything was normal.

these cups rock!!!
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
Tom Frank
View Profile
V.I.P.
industrial Strength Magic
493 Posts

Profile of Tom Frank
I would think fair market value for a set of Mikame Cups would be in the $350 - $450 range. These wooden cups tend to crack a bit on the top over time and that condition would affect the price. Just my opinion.

TF
R_B_C
View Profile
New user
Fort Worth, Texas
65 Posts

Profile of R_B_C
Pete: I wish I knew what the cups are worth, I was hoping someone here could give me an idea. Having already survived one house fir (mine) with no damage to any of my apparatus, I have been considering insuring the more rare? pieces of my collection. Both my sets were purchased back in the 70's and I'm not sure what I paid, seems like it was $75.00 for the Mikame set and I don't remember what I paid for the Danny Dew cups. All I remember is that I bought them through Roger Crabtree who was a mentor of mine at the time. I used to get to sit in with him at his house on occasion when he would hold a close-up circle. I wouldnt part with either set for anything, well maybe not anything, but it would have to really be something special for me to consider it. Maybe someone here knows the value of these cups?
R_B_C
"If you can't convince them, confuse them." -Harry S. Truman
Tom Frank
View Profile
V.I.P.
industrial Strength Magic
493 Posts

Profile of Tom Frank
Now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time. Do you remember his trick called the Crabtree Connection. I remember making this trick up and performing it after I learned to split cards. . . back in the day.

It was a linking cards trick, where you could hand out the cards after linking them for inspection. Killer trick!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2005-10-08 01:42, Pete Biro wrote:
What are the Mikame cups worth?

Got a set?

PM me. We will talk.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Mike McErlain
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto & Green Cove Springs, FL
130 Posts

Profile of Mike McErlain
My favorite is an older stainless steel RnT set. Not sure what model, but great quality!
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
My Church Bronze R-N-T cups were my favorite until I got my sherwood smooth.
I am also enjoy performing with the Riser Jumbo cups.
I actually enjoy all the sets I own so it is diffcult to just pick one favorite set.

The Sherwoods just have a good feel to them and fit well in my hands.
I learned on R-N-T stainless/chromed ..whatever the originals are...they have stood up to some serious acccidents without a scratch.
Later,
Mobius
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1545 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
My faves are a set of copper combo cups. I've been doing a version of Mendoza's routine. I don't know what company made the cups, I just know that they're not Morrissey...

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer

Coming soon:
Victorian Secrets: An Evening With The Spirits!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I'll look at them when I get to N-Ville!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1477 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
My favourites are the JESMagic Squatty cups from RNTII.

They're my favourite because they are the first "good" set I owned.

Tom
"But there isn't a door"
phillipsje
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of phillipsje
I Love my RNT II Stainless Paul Fox Cups.
SeanD13
View Profile
Loyal user
Bristol, RI
263 Posts

Profile of SeanD13
I have to say I love my RNT2 Cooper Monti cups because they are my first real cups, and they hold a special place in my heart.

As for a bigger Cup I would have to say my RNT2 Paul Fox Chick Cups are great. They hold a large orange, and can take a bitting a keep on ticking. They are also lager then the Gazzo cups.

Frank, I have never drop them on concrete but I think they can take it. Now I can not remember if have done a wand tip back with them, but that is something I like to do in my routine.

Jake would be the best person to answer the questions. They are a great set of cups. So don't over look them.

Sean
Have you hugged a Cup Junkie lately?

Learn more at www.CupsCon.com
"If We Build It Will you Come?"
Hayre
View Profile
Regular user
Arkansas
195 Posts

Profile of Hayre
Riser Mini Cups. For the moves I use, or have developed, these are more geometrically suited than my original Sistis, Danny Dew cups, Bertrams, etc.
Also, if you use the right load balls, with respect to size and color (I use day-glow orange rubber balls), the impact is not much less in a closeup environment than it is with larger cups which hold balls, that while larger than the Minis, are still smaller than a tennis ball.

I alos love the look and feel of these no longer available beauties.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Favorite set of cups!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL