The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Ride fans My Book is now Free On-line! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I just posted my book 'Scary Dark Rides' online to read free. 100 years of Spooks, Fantasy and Adventure! It has sold out 8 printings with fantastic reviews...I got tired of re-printing it and being asked for it daily...so if you like the Dark Rides and Carnival/Theme Park stuff...go to my site LionPoint.com and read the book 'on me'!!
Enjoy!

Doug

(Images will be online in a week or so but the Entire text is there!
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
Thank you Mr. Higley for being such a munificent person. Seems interesting talking about the "WHY" for scary rides Smile. I like how you compare the 'Beyond the crash doors...' to a little movie in the beginning. When I get a chance to, I will read the whole thing. Well done!

Daniel
TGENTLE
View Profile
New user
Birmingham, AL
86 Posts

Profile of TGENTLE
Doug,
Thanks for the book! Most generous.
I've been on your site before. I love your work!

tom
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Hi Doug,

I love your book, I just wish it were longer, or there was more to it... When is part two coming out? (hint hint)

We have some things in common....

1. We both love dark rides.
2. We both live in California and can brag to our peers that we rode samll world before they did.
3. We both loved the old Coney Island (before the gangs came in)
4. We both remember old rides that are gone now.

I teach my physics class a major unit on roller coaster physics, so material like yours is fun for me.

Many dis-agree with me saying it is not a dark ride per se, but I love Star Tours. Of course I loved the ride that used ot be where star tours is now too.

See you at Disney Land one day
Cliff
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Thanks Cliff! (and Daniel and T above!)
The book (to me) is just the right size. It used to be a bit longer when I first wrote it...but over the years, I trimmed it to be lean and as entertaining as I could make it for everyone...dark riders and non riders.
Once I get the images up you'll see a lot more!

I rode Small World at Disneyland in 1978 when I first visited DL...but had ridden it in 1964 at the World's Fair in NY! 'Cause I'm an older fart than you I probably got you beat!

While I HATED school, (and rarely attended...so am self educated...can't you tell?) I loved learning on my own. I always wished I had taken basic Physics. I'm reading a GREAT book online now (and he put it up Free to read) by David Darling (UK Astronomer, Physicist etc.)...next time I go back to read more, I'll get you the links!
He also compiled a MAJOR (as in BIG TIME MAJOR!) Astrophysics, Space etc. Encyclopedia...a truley awesome undertaking. I'll get you that link as well.

OK...here are the links

Encyclopedia: http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/ETEmain.html

Book: Zen Physics (Entire text! free) Kind of mystical stuff but interesting.
http://www.daviddarling.info/works/ZenPh......t_1.html

Book: Deep Time (1st 4 chapters)http://www.daviddarling.info/works/DeepTime/DeepTime_front_1.html
This one will blow you away! "The Journey of a Particle from the Moment of Creation to the Death of the Universe and Beyond."

He also has a few of his other books on line as well and some chapter selections from the current books. His new 'Teleportation' book is awesome...deals with the impossibilty factors etc.

Later
Doug
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Doug,

I had a hard time finding the book at your site; finally I did a Google search and got there from a review. Thanks so much for posting Scary Dark Rides, and I just love the idea of the audio version, please post when that's ready!

I fondly remember those moments from my childhood, just as the car hit the swinging wooden doors and you were going inside. There was that moment of thinking, it's too late to back out now! What if it's TOO SCARY! WHAT'S GOING TO BE IN HERE?

You just have to love the art on these things!

Thanks again for putting this online!

Yours,

Paul
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
What a great little read and a wonderful trip down memory lane! I love Dark Rides (maybe not as much as you obviously do!). I've done the odd Haunted House (walk thru kind)but never even dreamed of doing a ride version.

Have you checked out:

http://www.hauntcon.com
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Paul: Hard time? What site did you go to?? It's Not on the 'critter' site...
you must have found some old stuff advertising the book. I had it out along WITH the audio version. Don't have time to mess with all that these days though makin' CDs and all...that's why I put it on line as a freebie.

It's right on the front page of http://LionPoint.com
My main site, which is where I prefer folks enter from.

Glad you liked it. I'll be adding all the Art and Images from the book soon as I can break away from making Dark Museum Ensembles and Shrunken heads...Atomic Fish and freakin' Mummies! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Doug
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Might mention for all those who hate downloading eBooks (like me) it is NOT an eBook. It is simply on line to read. I set it up to be just 18 clicks putting two or more pages per click. Easy as pie and no downloads!

:)

Doug
Grimm
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Grimm
This is the sort of reading I love. There's nothing better than the little things, those things that appear to be tiny thrills but are in actually the backbone of the experience of wonder. It's why I love magic. That said, would I be able to get a hard copy of this if I so desired?
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Well thanks Grimm!! I put it on line because I have been sold out again and just don't have the time to mess with re-printing it...Self publishing that is...If some company wants to 'pick it up' and release it that's fine with me...they can just plunk down a check...Smile
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Hello Doug,

Michael Baker might want to add one to the scary rides. He rode with me to the PMZZ lunch in the rocket city and wondered if we changed time zones. I enjoyed the trip and chatting with him. I'm glad he didn't walk back!

Of course nothing should scare a guy who is known as Halloween Magic.

Keep writing!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Sounds like I'm being peeled away a layer at a time. Good morning, Bob!

Doug, I haven't had a chance to read your book yet, but definitely will.

Re haunted houses: I work a month-long Halloween gig each year that is huge, and may possibly find a use for your talents. Let me get my ducks in a row and I'll send along the needed info, both ways.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Ok, Doug... The tension got the best of me, so I spent some time this morning and read your story. Loved it!!! Far to much to say on this forum, but I will be sending you a private message or email very soon!!! LOVED IT!!!

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Just imagine if it had the 100 exclusive images that were in the printed version! Smile

Thanks for the kind words.

D
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Ride fans My Book is now Free On-line! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL