The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » How strong are Rare Earth mags? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MixEddie
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of MixEddie
I just purchased the same exact magnet that comes from the Pro PK kit from a magnet supplier (to save a little money) and now I'm slightly nervous. If I strap this thing to my leg and do work in a restaraunt are knives going to be flying off nearby tables?! I realize that probably sounds a little silly but I haven't handled one quite that strong before and I don't want to learn the hard way. Has anyone constructed a nice strap for their magnets yet? I would imagine leather work would be really nice.

Chris
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Chris,
You're right, they're amazingly strong! Some of the large earth magnets are so strong they can't be pulled apart by humans! I've done some work with them and run into some of the same questions. I started using Duck Tape as a strap, and that worked well for a while. If you "wrap" the magnet in several layers of duck tape, it won't attract as strongly, and when things hit up against it, the duck tape buffers some of the sound.
I also tried using a canvas fabric strip, adn found that to work excellent as well. I had a seamstress sew the magnet into several layers of canvas, then make a strap, with velcro at each end, that worked very well.
You might be onto something with the leather, I haven't tried that, but I imagine that would work well. Whatever it is, it has to be strong!
Good luck!
Richard Sherry
View Profile
Veteran user
Calgary, AB, Canada
313 Posts

Profile of Richard Sherry
Hello.
Does anybody know where to find these magnets in CANADA???
Thanks
Richard
MixEddie
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of MixEddie
You can try http://www.kjmagnetics.com where I got mine or http://www.wondermagnet.com

Good luck,
Chris
Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
AHH! Wonder Magnet said that it was a favortie of magicians...but this is a bit too much exposure:

BY0Y08

2" x 2" x 1/2" thick
Grade N48 - Nickel Plated
Magnetized thru thickness

Incredibly strong and incredibly dangerous if mishandled. One of these blocks has a pull force of over 100 lbs if attached to a steel plate.

These are the equivalent of a magician's M5 magnet.

The bottom line is what kills me!

Daniel
wkitwizard
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
466 Posts

Profile of wkitwizard
Something to consider also: you come within five feet of any digital materials and you wipe them out! CDs, computer files, music equipment, even watches. Be very careful where and when you use these.
kw
Nothing is truer than the incomprehensible, because the sum total of our knowledge consists of the fact that we know nothing. Our reality is an illusion. Thus illusion is reality-Punx
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Kw,
that's not completely true. Magnets don't hurt CDs, or most digital equipment. (you can rub a strong magnet all over any CD or DVD and nothing happens because CD's and DVDs are digital information, not magnetically stored, like some tapes, etc.) You should however keep it away from anything like computer screens, hard drives, etc.
These earth magnets are very strong though, they can do lots of damage to things, and even people, so be careful!
TOTALLY MAGIC
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas,NV
436 Posts

Profile of TOTALLY MAGIC
I broke my old computer. I had one in my hand I forgot and the whole screen went black. I got in major trouble. lol
Kyle
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
In practicing a manipulation routine, I caused damage to my computer screen which I'm now forced to look at. I wear black gloves for one of my manipulation routines. The right glove houses a magnet needed for a couple of moves. The magnet is very strong and you can drag a house with it. During practice, my new mail message tone went off. Walked across the room, too lazy to take the gloves off, and read my mail. I noticed a spot on my screen and with magnetic glove reached up to wipe it off. I was fascinated with the dark spots the "fabric material" of my gloves caused on the screen. I wiped a large circle on the screen and thought it was interesting. Realizing it wasn't coming off I pressed and wiped harder and quicker.

Suddenly I remembered "M A G N E T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!". Ugh! what an idiot.

Oh it was one of those moments where you wish you could turn back time - or at least have been using your brain to keep from doing something that dumb. The large dark donut shaped circle on the screen doesn't make viewing impossible as much as it is a nuisance.

You couldn't get more deliberate than a magnet sewn into a glove which is smeared all over the computer screen. How do you explain that to anyone? You don't and you simply replace it while blaming a lightening storm or something along those lines. Can you imagine a disgrunteled employee heading to the office armed with one of these?

I guess I'll replace this screen eventually. Amazing what that magnet did in such a brief moment.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Richard,

If you know the size magnet you are looking for, E-bay always has bunches on sale.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
YVRDave
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, BC
104 Posts

Profile of YVRDave
Also, do not put the magnets in your pocket (or purse) near your credit cards, as they erase the magnetic strips
FilipinoFreak
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of FilipinoFreak
I don't know if anyone here cares, but it is possible to repair TV's and monitors that have been "damaged" by a magnet. It's called degaussing. A degaussing tool is an AC electromagnet. TV and appliance repair shops have them and will come over and fix the screen. You could also buy your own on eBay for about $30. Some monitors have built-in degaussers. My screen has a buttin with a magnet symbol on it.
The only screens affected by magnets are vacuum tube(CRT) screens, not LCD or plasma. Long exposure to a magnetic field can cause permanent damage to a screen. So don't keep the magnet near it too long and you'll be fine.

-Chris
Mike Baxter
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, B.C.
87 Posts

Profile of Mike Baxter
Richard. Although you asked where to find rare earth mags way back in Feb. I see that there is a recent answer - so why not add to it. I buy all mine at Lee Valley Tools. Calgary location: 7261 11th Street S.E., Calgary (403) 253-2066
http://www.leevalley.com/home/page.aspx?c=1&p=47397
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Do take the time to actually read the information on the pages at Wondermagnet. You will find out about the pull, and the range of the gauss field. The fun part is how strong the rare earths are, the sad part is that their field is a bit...shallow, compared to some of the older magnets, must be an inverse square type thing with the force/range
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
That saying "It's done with smoke and mirrors" really should read "magnets and mirrors" It's amazing to me how many tricks use magnets.

I like K+J magnetics and http://www.amazingmagnets.com
I have many of different strengths and some smaller ones for gimmicking stuff to move. My personal favorite is my voodoo chicken bones Smile

Steven
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
On 'The Mythbusters' TV show they busted the myth that magnets effect credit cards.

Rich
MixEddie
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of MixEddie
I was working with my magnet. Strictly holding it in my hands. About 15 minutes later I looked at my watch and it had stopped and all three hands were now pointing towards where I was holding the magnet. The next day they were working again (like magic...haha) however when the timer hand is reset it goes back to 1 not 12. A minor thing, but annoying just the same... BE CAREFULL!!!
Paolo Venturini
View Profile
Veteran user
Lucca (I.) - New York City
385 Posts

Profile of Paolo Venturini
There is also a good side, I think: it seems that magnets are really good to relieve pain from arthritis... Any experiences anybody?

Paolo Venturini
georgef
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of georgef
In Canada, you might try Lee Valley http://www.leevalley.com .
They are very reliable. If you live in any of the major cities, you'll be in luck.
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
In restaurants you have to be careful. I do a ring and string with a magnet and the string will sometimes stick to the side of the table!. I also have a large magnet I place in my back pocket to do a trick where a disc vanishes and reappears on my back. I forgot to take the magnet out and was walking around in a store. I got close to the shelving and it pulled to the metal shelf. It was funny.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » How strong are Rare Earth mags? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL