We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Escape from the restraint chair!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1256 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
I work in Corrections, also known as PRISON!! I would like to hear from any of you that use the device known as a restraint chair in your escapes. It is set up so that the inmate is strapped in across the chest and thru the crotch with a three point web restraint. One over each shoulder and the crotch. The hands are then cuffed to the chair palms up and away from the body. The feet are secured via leg irons run through the bottom of the chair. The chair is also tilted so as to prevent movement in the legs.

This is used only for the worst of behaviors. But even through it is difficult it can be escaped. I have seen it done twice in my life. Once by breaking the straps and thus the chair itself. The other time we came to check on the inmate in the room to find him sitting on the bed and the chair in the same place as we left it. Oh, and the leg irons had been picked. The cuffs on the other hand were still on the chair and still locked. Both sets, both wrists, and still DOUBLE LOCKED. Still haven't figured that one out.

Anyway, I want to know if anyone uses anything like this themselves.
Smile
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
WOW, this sounds like the thing EA dreams are made of. I've only seen pictures of it (or similar) on Yossie's web site. Smile Welcome to our little corner table at the Café.
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Hi, a prison restraint chair of similar or maybe the same design is made by AEDEC Inc. U.S.A. How your second prisoner escaped is difficult to know unless one was there to examine the chair but better still to see how they were fastened. Many people rely on the equipment to do the securing (i.e. because a handcuff is a restraint therefore it is secure at what it does). I know some police in my country aren't aware of how to apply cuffs properly and what the deadlock is or why they should use it.

Also, as you would be well aware, the human body can do remarkable things under stressful situations. Breaking the webbing is one. I have cuffs here in my collections, bent and twisted by bare wrist alone and the steel is fractured (usually requiring 1 ton of shear pressure to do this with a machine, let alone bones and flesh).

If you are familar with escape techinques, get the same people who locked the prisoner in to do the same method to you and then see if there is a weakness to the system.

Ian
AllThumbs
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
376 Posts

Profile of AllThumbs
I would suggest next time you need to restrain this inmate that you place him in a room with a hidden CCTV (video) camera. Smile
The above is all rubbish, except that which you chose to believe
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1256 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
He was. The camera just wasn't recording at the time. Smile

Trunk, I was one of the officers who put him in the chair so I know he was properly restrained for a normal inmate. He just wasn't normal. I once took him from the shower to his room (a full ten foot walk) in full restraints, cuffs, bellychains, and leg irons. When he walked in his room, I locked the door and two SECONDS later he tossed all of the resraints to me through the service flap in the door! Still double locked!!
Smile
AllThumbs
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
376 Posts

Profile of AllThumbs
Is he going to be released anytime soon? He could probably have a great career in escapology if he is that capable with ungimmicked restraints.
SpiffnikHopkins
View Profile
Regular user
Washington DC
135 Posts

Profile of SpiffnikHopkins
Ha ha this guy sounds like a trip! It's probably the best part of his day when you guys try to lock him up and he gets to try and get out! If you really want to punish this guy start locking him up in gimmicked cuffs or barely put them on. It'll drive him nuts not being able to really get to use his skills!

Seriously though this guy sounds VERY impressive. If you ever have any real plans of letting him out you should let him know he could have am awesome carreer in EA.

Best of luck keeping this guy tied down...
Spiff
SANTINI
View Profile
Loyal user
SANTINI
293 Posts

Profile of SANTINI
If this guy is getting out of properly applied double locked cuffs, then odds are, he is slipping them. Of course, he may be picking them owing to the simplistic locks on modern North American cuffs, but I have a feeling he is slipping them. Especially if the irons are double locked when he throws them out. Regards, Steve Santini
AllThumbs
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
376 Posts

Profile of AllThumbs
He might be able to dislocate his thumbs or something. However, correct me if I am wrong, I would suspect the restraint chair uses high security cuffs (take a look at the hiatt cuffs on ecapology 1). I could be wrong though as it could be easily assumed that the rest of the chair is so secure that it doesn't matter if the cuffs aren't of high quality.

Has any escape artist used a restraint chair in their show as "an ultimate" in escapes or for publicity purposes?

Regards,

Kris Sheglova
SANTINI
View Profile
Loyal user
SANTINI
293 Posts

Profile of SANTINI
I have personally tried to get out of a regulation restraint chair. It took approx 1 hour for me to make any headway. The cuffs used on these are of the "Universal key" variety and are not special. Furthermore, the locking buckles also (on at least one model of chair) undo with a common cuff key also. Regards, Steve Santini
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1256 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Kris,
You are correct in the fact that we use high security cuffs that cannot be opened using a regular cuff key. We have had only one inmate in my institution who could pick the security cuffs and he was a locksmith as a profession. As to the escapist, I believe he is now out of prison. My partner and I have always believed the guy was slipping the cuffs by dislocating his thumbs. No way to keep the cuffs on at that point as he had fairly thin hands. Oh well.
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi Samuel

You said...

"My partner and I have always believed the guy was slipping the cuffs by dislocating his thumbs."

Surely the wrist bone would prevent that kind of escape though? Unless the guy was really lucky and the bone was unnaturally narrow.

Duncan
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
My wrists are very small but with very wide hands it is difficult to slip anything. That's why I use the many on arm method. It works well.

Steve is there anything you have not escaped from?

Welcome to the Café friend. I'll email you later tonight.
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
iluznst
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
66 Posts

Profile of iluznst
I have actually gone through the trouble of learning how to properly 'cuff an individual.

As was mentioned in previous posts, it was suspected that he was slipping the 'cuffs. I'm going to make a leap here and assume that he was also properly searched before he was cuffed since he displayed his "talent" before, so he obviously didn't have any picking devices in or on him. He was in all likelihood slipping his hands as I have seen this done before... and it was unbelievable as to what else he could do, similar to the Chinese acrobats. Slipping your feet is almost next to impossible, almost.

The only real way to try to prevent this is to really clamp down on the 'cuffs, but that kind of force usually cuts the circulation off and tends to make an angry person and bring on lawsuits.

p.s. I believe in a law enforcement situation, the correct place for handcuffs is just ahead of the wristbone and not on the forearm.

DA
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
On a tangent, I think an escape from Dr. Rush's 'Tranquilizer' would be interesting.
Illustrated in the Time-Life volume, "The Mind," the Tranquilizer was a chair with wrist, arm, chest and ankle straps (or ankle stocks) and a box, attached to an upright at the chair back, that fitted over the head from the chin level up as a form of 'sensory deprivation.' Invented by Dr. Benjamin Rush, the 'father of modern psychiatry,' Rush believed the constraint to be more than just a restraint device, believing total inaction and sensory deprivation to be therapeutic.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Escape from the restraint chair!!! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL