The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Electronic crasher (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
boboshempy
View Profile
Veteran user
Jersey
373 Posts

Profile of boboshempy
Larry, So what do you think it is? Something electronic built into the table?

Posted: Jul 29, 2005 9:00am
Larry, I just read your other post! Thanks!
enigmar
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of enigmar
I'd love to use the Electronic Crasher just a bit differently. I find that when I place a plastic drinking cup on top so that the cup is struck on the bottom by the device, the cup launches quite high in the air, making for a very cool PK effect with no glass shards to clean up. I'd like to combine a couple of different PK effects.

The problem with this approach of course is the sound of the cup being struck is quite loud. Does anyone have any ideas to explain this away?
enigmar

Mentalism Mélange Forums
http://mentalism.com/forums/index.php
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2005-09-07 12:02, enigmar wrote:
"...The problem with this approach of course is the sound of the cup being struck is quite loud. Does anyone have any ideas to explain this away?"

How proficient are you at anticipating when the mechanism will engage? If you're very good at that, instead of trying to explain the noise simply, cover it, for example by clapping at the right time (in advance you've explained that by clapping you can send out energy waves or come up with some other B.S. reason).
enigmar
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of enigmar
Quote:
On 2005-09-07 12:11, Larry Davidson wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-09-07 12:02, enigmar wrote:
"...The problem with this approach of course is the sound of the cup being struck is quite loud. Does anyone have any ideas to explain this away?"

How proficient are you at anticipating when the mechanism will engage? If you're very good at that, instead of trying to explain the noise simply, cover it, for example by clapping at the right time (in advance you've explained that by clapping you can send out energy waves or come up with some other B.S. reason).

I tried exactly that, but I can't seem to stay in synch with the mechanism every time, though I can come close. But I'd have to get it just right. Also, the action is very loud; the cup acts as an amplifier of sorts. Even if I use a styrofoam cup instead of a plastic cup I prefer (because its clear) the sound is a bit muffled, but still very loud.

If I were to try to mask the sound, it would have to be a very loud, repeating rapping sound of some type.

Thanks for the suggestion though!!
enigmar

Mentalism Mélange Forums
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Okay, here's another idea. Instead of masking the sound, how about "making the sound and transferring it" as an energy transfer demonstration. Hold an identical cup in your hand, smack it with an object to create a sound identical to that which will be made when the striking mechanism hits the other cup, making a tossing motion with the cup in your hand as if you're tossing the sound to the other cup, and then the other cup jumps as it makes the sound.

Although I'm offering solutions to the effect you're trying to achieve, at the bottom line I like a breaking glass effect better.

Regards, Larry
enigmar
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of enigmar
Quote:
On 2005-09-08 08:14, Larry Davidson wrote:
Okay, here's another idea. Instead of masking the sound, how about "making the sound and transferring it" as an energy transfer demonstration.

Larry,

That's a really cool idea! I could do that.

However, I think you're right, in the long run, I may should stick with the glass breaking. Its such a dramatic effect. I'm going to rethink the routine I was working on. I still want to combine some PK effects, but I'll have to do it a little different.
enigmar

Mentalism Mélange Forums
JosephKerr
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
421 Posts

Profile of JosephKerr
Presentation Idea:

Performed at a kids show: Have a young girl come up and shatter the glass by screaming.

-OR-

If you're worried about excessive screaming than teach the kids about Harmonics. Have them all hum and try to reach the same tone and pitch. a couple of seconds after they begin you can trigger the device then stand away as you coach them towards the correct tone.
"Challenge Your Reality"
HuronLow
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of HuronLow
What's the motivation for having the card case under the glass though? I'm very interested in purchasing this.

Huron
The T&R Project.
A revolutionary take on the Torn & Restored card.

Available now at www.HuronLow.com
jfkkraemer
View Profile
Elite user
SoCal
481 Posts

Profile of jfkkraemer
Huron its mentioned a few post above, for better visibility to the audience, I use mine all the time. Quality product that delivers everything it says it does.

Jeff
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Always loved to watch this effect. But always feared that a piece of glass might jump and hit someone. Is it designed where it makes it Implode or is it a definite explode? I know it sounds stupid but I don't know too much about these things. In a close-up worker..
RSD
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
534 Posts

Profile of RSD
Little bit confused...

I know the gimmick has to be placed under the glass. BUT does it have to be sandwiched between two glasses? Can it just be placed under one glass and not on top of another one?
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Paisa23, it explodes, it doesn't implode.

RSD, it can just be placed under one glass. It does not have to be sandwiched between two glasses.

Larry
HuronLow
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of HuronLow
I really don't see motivation for putting it upside down either. It would be better if filled with wine or something. The liquid would enhance the effect greatly.

Huron
The T&R Project.
A revolutionary take on the Torn & Restored card.

Available now at www.HuronLow.com
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
588 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
The reason the glass is upside down is that the rim of the glass is thinner than the base. It probably won't break the base. It may just tip it over.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2005-12-20 10:37, hUrOn Low~ wrote:
I really don't see motivation for putting it upside down either. It would be better if filled with wine or something. The liquid would enhance the effect greatly.

Huron

Thanks, Huron! Good !DEA & good thinking!!

Here is what I think a 'Shattering wine Glass' effect should look like.

A wine glass filled with wine (actually colored water) is placed on the table and then the goblet part of the glass shatters. The stem, the base and a part of the goblet should remains intact and in place (i.e. without toppling over).

I have come up with the design of such a prop. Hopefully I should get the prototype all set & ready for my maiden performance in a couple of months.

Huron, thanks (once again!) for a good suggestion.

Best Regards,

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
deverett
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of deverett
I can't tip a friends handling with the crasher, but it is a great little device if you put some effort into the effect.

I recently modified his unit to work from a remote control as it's a long time into the routine before he uses the crasher.

Dave Everett
Scattered Dream
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of Scattered Dream
Paul Harris's vanishing deck gimmick could make it look like you placed an entire deck inside the box. Just to enforce the idea that the box is completley empty.

Joe
jfkkraemer
View Profile
Elite user
SoCal
481 Posts

Profile of jfkkraemer
No need to over think this, one or two card effects then move on to something else, once the card case is re introduced you should have no heat on the case as you have been using the cards from it. As far as how a shattering glass should look, how many specs have even seen this happen, not a lot so I suggest they probably don't have any preconcieved notions about how it should look when it shatters, they have no idea what is about to happen. Work this in with something else in your routine and it is very magical.

Jeff
GarySumpter
View Profile
Special user
UK
857 Posts

Profile of GarySumpter
The amount of questions for such a simple product amazes me.

The gmmick resides within the card case.

The glass goes on top of the card case.

The glass smashes.

End of story!

However use your imagination a little. If it was ME performing it, I would do something along the lines of a living and dead test, with a box belonging to the dead woman being shown. From within the box I would remove two wine glasses, which were wedding presents to her and her husband.

As the final revelation proves that the spectator picked up on the ded womans name, the glass shatters.

Scary, but hey, these sort of effects aren't MEANT to be funny or impressive!

Gary
Aloy
View Profile
New user
Singapore
36 Posts

Profile of Aloy
Quote:
On 2005-12-20 10:37, hUrOn Low~ wrote:

Huron

Wouldn't the water proofing be a nightmare? The components and the table as well.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Electronic crasher (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL