The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Chick Pan with Real Chick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1600 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
I'm doing a kid's show in a few days at a daycare/afterschool facility, and my closing routine is with the Chick Pan. I will be turning a child into a magician, but instead of making a sponge cake, he ends up doing better by making a "spongebob".

Today, one of the ladies I work with brought some baby chicks to work. She raises chickens, and bought these on the way to work. Their several days old, and she said she would gladly let me use one for the kid's show.

Has anyone actually had experience using a chick pan with baby chicks? How long can they stay in the load? I could put air holes in the lid of the pan, but I wonder how much noise he will make.

Any suggestions?

Brian
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Brian,

I have used the full sized pan for 3-5 baby chicks. I have never used a regular chick pan. It should work!

I don't like to leave them more than about 15 minutes in there. Don't forget to have a place for them once produced. They will not stay put on their own.

Good Luck! Let us know how things go.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
It should work great. There's just enough room for one chick. I don't use a chick pan but I do use a double load rabbit pan and dove pan and I always put plenty of holes in the top near the handle.
They are not seen by the audience and I like to feel my animals can breathe well.
Are you using a double load pan?
good luck
Daniel Faith
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I do use old Rings N Things double load dove pans. They have chrome tops with air holes. I have really put some miles on them and they look great.

My question with the chick pan is does the load weigh enough to make it easy to get the top off? A baby chick is so light.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1600 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
I did the show today, and the effect went over well. The chick was quiet light, but the lid came off ok.

The only problem was the noise. That little critter chirped throughout the whole 45 minute show! It wasn't so bad when things were a little noisy during the show, but the moment things quieted down, all the kids were saying "What's that chirping noise?"

In the end, it didn't matter to them. They were simply thrilled to see one of the kids magically produce a baby chick.

However, I think I'm going to use a hamster next time. Smile

Brian
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Congratulations Brian!

Dark helps stop the noise with an adult chicken. But babies may not know the script! The other problem is that every week you have to find another baby.

Hamsters feet are noisy. Paper towels in the bottom might help. Experiment and see.

Good Luck!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
lt
View Profile
New user
US
50 Posts

Profile of lt
I have used a chick (baby chicken lol.) in my talent show. My chick pan had holes in it when I got it.

See ya',
Travis
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1600 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Last week I purchased a Dove Pan, so that I could use my son's Bearded Dragon in my show. I never owned a Dove Pan before, and was disappointed to find out (when it arrived in the mail) that the Bearded Dragon was a little too big for the DP. That's ok, the kids at the Daycares are really enjoying the candy productions! Smile

I would like to get a Hamster, but my wife is allergic to them. Maybe I could keep one here in my office. Would they smell up an office?

Brian
magicman414
View Profile
Regular user
Oklahoma
157 Posts

Profile of magicman414
Hamsters only smell if you don't clean the cage. You might want to try a duck pan it is bigger than a dove pan

-Cameron-
Cameron

Square-Circle: $59.99
Smoke Chamber: $1,299
Showing up at work with a bad hair day dressed like a clown, and your clients are 7 years old: Priceless

Some things money can't buy
For everything else there's Magster Card
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1600 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Quote:
On 2005-03-30 19:14, magicman414 wrote:
Hamsters only smell if you don't clean the cage.

Oh, you have to clean the cage? I knew there was a string attached! Smile

Thanks for the info.

Brian
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Chick Pan with Real Chick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL