The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Magic for kids show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Shaner316
View Profile
Loyal user
St. Catharines, ON. Canada
213 Posts

Profile of Shaner316
Hello. I am hoping someone can help me out a bit here.

I was recently asked by a co-worker to perform at her neice's birthday party. The only problem is that the birthday party is also the same day as her communion, so it is a two event party.

I have been told that my regular Birthday routine would be fine, but I think maybe I should add at least a little bit of gospel magic,(even if it is only one effect) just because this is an important day for the little girl.

Does anyone have any suggestions that can point me in the right direction??

Thanks,

Shane

P.S. I have NO experience in gospel magic at all.
Tyler_Magician
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of Tyler_Magician
If you want to buy a gospel magic trick, do a google search and search for gospel magic. You will find some inexpensive gospel tricks. You can also adapt your patter to have a gospel flare.
-Tyler
Doug Peters
View Profile
Special user
I have a life, so I only have
585 Posts

Profile of Doug Peters
My favorite "gospel magic for children" routine is a riff on "seven keys", and can be found in Greater Gospel Magic...

You need:
- a "treasure chest" (any lockable container will do).
- a number of keys, only one of which opens the lock.
- a number of labels: "rich" "powerful" "smart" "important" "talented" and "just a kid".
- a brown paper bag and a small super-magnet.

Of course, if you have a key-r-rect or correct-key, you can do it twice, and really let the effect sink in.

The basic message is a combination of two "Kingdom Truths":
1. The Kingdom of God is like a treasure (Matt 13:44)
2. The Kingdom (i.e., that treasure) belongs to "such as these" (Luke 18:16)

And the effect is simply that a number of children volunteer, and are given the labels. Contrary to expectations, the treasure does not belong to the so-labelled "rich" "powerful" "smart" and "talented" or "important" children. Instead, the kingdom belongs to "just a kid". Smile

regards, Doug
"if you have any answers, it's time to ask harder questions!"
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
You might be putting too much pressure on yourself here.

You can certainly talk about God, and Jesus Christ, and Salvation, even if you don't do any "Gospel effects".

Let everything you do, (all of the effects) remind you of somthing about God. How good he is, how Holy He is, How Wondeful He is, What a beautifil world He has created, and how even on a cloudy day, His light shines brightly thrrough us.

Here is a thought, you might use a running statement/response thoughout your routine. You tell them that when you say; God is Good. They are to respond, All of the Time. And then you will say, All of the TIme, and they will respond God is Good.

This statement/response is often done by the pastor and the whole Congregation at a variety of Churches that I attend, or have visited.

But Kids especially find this a lot of fun. And repeated even just two or three times throughout your routine will help reinforce the Gospel Truth that God is Good, All of the Time, while adding some very positive energy to your routine.

You can't do better than to teach kids to Praise God, while you are entertaining them.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
thesecretllama
View Profile
New user
Dayton, Oh
41 Posts

Profile of thesecretllama
I agree with BroDavid. You do not necessarily have to present the gospel. Especially with this being her first communion. I would let your skill and entertainment be a gift to them and let the first communion speak the truth.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Personally I would just do your regular birthday show and steer clear of a gospel message unless you were specifically asked to include an effect with such a theme to it by the child’s parents.
Gospel magic is best left in the hands of those who perform it regularly. Trying to cobble something together and crowbar it into your current show can come off looking cheesy at best and Dogmatic at worst. If this was a first communion party it might be different but you have stated that it is a birthday party that just happens to be on the same day as her communion so you have to ask yourself who all is going to be attending this party and are the expecting to see a trick with an overtly religious message.
Most people wouldn’t be offended by such a presentation but then again there are those who would not want their child exposed to such material at a birthday party.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Allan Olive
View Profile
Regular user
Charlotte
180 Posts

Profile of Allan Olive
I think you have received some good advice here so far. If you have a strong desire to include some gospel effects in your show, AND you feel it would be appropriate, And you have the parents permission, why not simply take you favorite effects you are doing right now and rework them yourself with a gospel patter.

Most of the gospel effects I do are regular effects and routines that I have reworked and rewritten to tell a story or to illustrate a principle from God’s word. We have a great example from an earlier post with the 7 keys. I thought that was really good and will have to use that myself sometime.

Good luck and I hope all goes well for you whatever you decide to do.

Allan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Magic for kids show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL