The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Steve Santini, Dark Master of Escape » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I have Seen one of Mr. Santini's Creations by someone who got it Thru him and it was Utterly Amazing. I Wanted one on the Spot. Don,
Houdinifan
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Houdinifan
And did you get it Don??

Pete
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
No I didn't get it but am glad for the person who was able to.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
What was the prop?
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
escapeguy
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of escapeguy
To all: the escape in question is not new and has been done before, in fact we taped it for an episode several years ago of masters of illusion. We taped it in the rain in centenial park, atlanta, ga Basically it is a challenge that I was locked hands and feet, stretched out on the ground and chained to 20 feet of heavy tow chains attached to trucks pointed in opposite directions - their engines reving and ready to tear me apart, I got out and got tall
it worked well enought that we developed it into a challenge escape using the cops cuffs and legirons and performed at demo derbys and outher outdoor venues, usuall with the name pulled to pieces on race day
this is not a sandini creation
MICHAEL GRIFFIN,
America's Escape Artist

Visit: www.escapeguy.com
Like: www.facebook.com/michaelgriffinescapes
Follow: www.twitter.com/escapeguy
Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
Escapeguy,

The escape in question was presented by Chris Shalen in an
ABC special in 1982/3!

Escapeguy, his name is Santini or a dozen others he posts under,
and it's NOT a creation untill it is performed!... Untill then it's
just TALK, which he does very well!!

Steve Baker
escapeguy
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of escapeguy
Hi Steve Baker, Michael griffin here - escapeguy
yes, I am aware of chris shalen the only thing I did to his idea was to be cloaked during the escape as I felt him being tensioned between the two was less dramatic, just personal preferance. The crowd sure shrieks when the two cars lurch into gear and tear away revelaing only the chains attached to the now broken in half cabinet
best
Michael
MICHAEL GRIFFIN,
America's Escape Artist

Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Hey Michael, I mean escapeguy. I thought I remembered that stunt being done by someone other that the great Santini some years ago. I couldn’t remember who actually pulled it off.

You might want include it on your website “Milestones” section. I remember it getting some nice publicity.

Steve Santini is advertising the stunt on his website as: “Dragged to Death is an original Dark Master of Escape hardcore test that has NEVER been attempted before by any other escape artist in history…”

But then it is probably just the hyperbole most of us use from time to time in our promotional material. Clearly he is taking a bit of poetic license here saying that it has NEVER (his emphasis) been done before. Well we know that it has!

I don’t think that Mr. Santini is saying that he has actually done this. He is advertising that he is available to be hired to perform the stunt! Hired that is, to promote a Mall, Drag Track, Motorplex, Speedway, Race Track, Air Strip, Marina, Monster Truck Show, Demolition Derby, car, truck, or bike show, and model rocketry club (?) or, as he puts it, any venue looking to attract record breaking crowds and unprecedented media coverage.

Frankly, I’d like to see (in person that is) anyone do this! It could be thrilling!
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
I have to agree with Harry. These kind of claims are part of our arsenal when it comes to getting bookings. My website makes the claim that I am one of the best in the world, do I really think that? No, I am fairly humble in real life. On stage I portray an entirly different persona onstage. There, I am the best, no question.

Kondini regualary performs a similar stunt, Steve Baker has done it, many others have, h.ell, I might be doing something similar in China. But do I think he shouldn't say things like that? Frankly no, its what we do to get bookings.

Just my tuppence anyway

Cheers

David
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
escapeguy
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of escapeguy
Hi Harry: thanks, it is a good escape however in rehearsal one day I was a bit slow (2 bean giants keyhole to keyhole on my wrists)the car pulled out and well....I got instantly taller....
MICHAEL GRIFFIN,
America's Escape Artist

Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
I hate that when it happens! Smile
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Ouch! I keep saying that even the most practiced and skilled can have an accident happen! Glad that you are “only” taller!

Hey, maybe I ought to try that! I am way undertall and could probably stand an inch or three added! Then I would just be undertall!

Still, it’s a good stunt! Michael, I enjoyed your website! It’s well put together and very user friendly! You gallery and tour info wasn’t up. Let me know your next tour schedule and if you are anywhere close I’ll come and watch the act! I’ve been known to drive over a 100 miles to see a mediocre act imagine what I will drive to see a good one! Keep up the good work, man!

Hey David, even if you are not the “Best in the World” you are clearly better than I am (or at least have more brass!)! Maybe you could advertise as “Better than Mad Murphy the oldest -still living and working - escapists! ”

Hell, in this day and age my bombast and hyperbole is simply “Mad Murphy the oldest (and slowest), still living and working escapists!” And “How does he do it? Oh so carefully! Why does he do it? Because he can!”

I open most of my shows with “I know what you’re thinking! You’re thinking ‘Isn’t it sad that such a clean old gentleman has to resort to this to augment his pension?!? Oh, and now you’re thinking ‘Geezus! He’s a mind reader and I thought he was an escapologist!”

Posted: Sep 2, 2005 2:34pm
P.S. I reread the stunt escape that Cindi described and is advertised on Steve Santini’s website. Santini is being manacled; the manacles are locked to a 100-foot chain (borrowed chain and locks) with the other end of the chain being locked to the rear of a high-speed vehicle (car, train, or jet plane).

Then he has a wooden box screwed and nailed around his wrists to add security and increase the impossibility of the escape.

An announcer (maybe a VIP) does a countdown and at “zero” the vehicle takes off building to its top speed. The slack of the chain is taken up (100 feet of chain is not that much!) giving Santini only a couple of seconds to escape or until is drug to death or serious injury.

Now you have to admit that sounds cool.

However, as I read it I am struck that it is different than the escape that Michael performs. Sure there are similarities but in truth they are different stunts. Michael risks being ripped apart and Steve risks being drug to death!

As Mr. Baker observes it is not a creation until it is actually performed!

As an idea it does read well doesn’t it?

Now I have been told that the stunt was actually performed more than once by Mr. Santini. I have also been told that he plans to post photos on his website. However, Google and Jeves do not come up with any leads to the performances (indexed news articles or other indexed publications) so we will have to wait and see won’t we.
WEASEL DANDAW
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of WEASEL DANDAW
Well as you know I don't often post here and now Mr Baker is a moderator, I will probably never be allowed again. I thought this was a forum to promote and help other artists in or industry, but no it is to YET AGAIN put others down.
I resent the derogatry comments made constantly against anyone who is doing well and who does not agree with the views of Mr B, or Mr E, as he likes to be known.
Are you now after Cindini? So she says Santini has come up with a good escape and you jump on her saying she is brain washed. No she appreciates someone who is willing to help. As to Santini's new escape being a copy....well, it is not, it is different from all that you are comparing to.

I know that a few members of the UKEA are Mr B fans, and if I have offended any I will obviously step down. The curse of the UKEA, just look at James and Stuart.

Stay Free,

Weasel

P.S. Mad Murphy, did you mean to post that message or was it meant to be private.....lol
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
In 1979 or 1980, Athur Coglan of Australia did an escape fro within a two part box, chained to either end from inside. One half of the box was 'fixed' to the ground and the other end chained to 'Walzing Matilda" A jet engine prime mover.

After Arthur was chained and locked within, the rtuck started up and took off at high speed. as soon as the chain pulled the boxes apart, the truck stopped.

The mobile camera man then walked up to the section of the box still fixed to the ground and Arthur climbed out.

The escape was a good idea but I didn't think it went over as well as it should or could. It was too quick and all the action was from the jet truck. With Arthur hidden within the boxes you could see he struggle. However if he didn't get free, he would have been torn apart.

Ian
thorndyke
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of thorndyke
If I am understanding this correctly, the issue is whether or not the escape as presented on the web site has actualy been performed? Has anyone seen it done?
Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
Weasel,

Calm down befor you burst a blood vessel, NO ONE attacted or put down Cindini!

Just the oppisit, I said she had done a couple of terrific escapes!

Read my post again,I also state this forum is for promoting and helping the
escape arts and escape artist!

NO DEROGATORY comments made against anyone, and NO put downs!

Read my post again, the issue is with Santini and HIS CLAIMS, nothing more!

You are more than WELCOME here at the Café any time,just check your facts
and then post!

By the way I've only encouraged and praised your work on this forum!

Can you tell me what James and Stuart have to do with this anyway?

Steve Baker

Posted: Sep 2, 2005 10:24pm

THANK YOU THORNDYKE!!!

Steve
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Ian,

You’ve hit on a problem many of the stunt escapes seem to suffer from. They go by so fast that no one can appreciate the danger or the skill of the performer. They tend to be all build up with a focus on the locking, nailing, chaining or whatever. The buildup has to convince the audience that the escape cannot be accomplished (yet I suspect that very few in the audience really believes it anyway) then after all that buildup – ZAP!! It is over. Yawn, ho-um, so what?

I remember the series of “escapes” that Paul Daniels did on regular BBC program. Many were totally impossible. Yet after the shed was crushed by the granite slap or the door of blades slammed closed, or the box exploded, he would appear from the smoke or whatever in his tux waving to the spectators. Of course he was performing the escape as a magician and as a magic trick but to a point they appeared dangerous and had a proper buildup and dramatic release.

Hey Weasel, long time! I doubt if Mr. Baker is out to get anyone. I know that he tries to keep some of us honest (or as honest as possible) and polite. I didn’t see anything really derogatory in his post. I don’t think that Mr. Baker has an ax to grind against anyone.

I was wondering about Cindi’s post myself. She just did a cut and paste of the advert. I appreciated the link to check it out myself but I wondered what her take on the stunt was. I wondered if she had actually seen it performed or knew where and when it had been performed. If she had seen it I would have loved a blow-by-blow of it. If she knows where and when I would have liked a link. I like keeping my facts straight.

Thorndyke sums it up nicely; Mr. Baker doesn’t believe that Mr. Santini has performed it.

Personally, I don’t know if Santini has come up with anything but a very dramatic presentational idea. I have already said that it is a good presentational idea. If I weren’t so old, slow, out of shape, and chicken I’d simply take the idea and perform it myself! LOL!!!

I know that I can sell the idea. I was talking to a local raceway promoter at lunch just today. OK, not about gigs but about old times when we both worked the thrill show circuit! Great ideas are not hard to sell.

It is said that Santini has actually performed the stunt (more than once) however no one seems to have seen it and there doesn’t seem to be a public record of it that can be easily found. Photos have been promised for his website. When they are up then everyone can see the stunt being performed before a record-breaking crowd. Until then it’s just so much advertising hyperbole. It is not a bad advert and I hope that it gets him a chance to perform the escape.

And remember with everything I write, I could be wrong!
WEASEL DANDAW
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of WEASEL DANDAW
Harry,

Re: Derogatory comments,

I wasn't talking about that post in particular, I was talking in general.

P.S. Re: James and Stuart, I was talking about the "Curse of the UKEA".
First James quit and then Stuart (a good friend) left and now I shall probably have to resign..... Que sera sera
Mark Tripp
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Mark Tripp
Santini's insane problems with Mr. Baker, and his projections on people who supported Mr. Baker have wrecked many good boards. If that is what you are looking for, you guys can make your own "we hate Baker" club on EZ board and have at it.

I will say for the record that I have posted more workable performing concepts for escape artists on these boards than all the people who are gone combined. Just do a search and the obvious will be plain. As such, I'd much rather hear YOUR ideas and concepts than whining about who is here and who is not.

Now, if you have something positive to share, do so. If you want to learn something, then read. If you have a problem with Baker, then please, move on.

We are here to save the world, not blow it up.....

Mark Tripp
Stuart Burrell
View Profile
Veteran user
England
385 Posts

Profile of Stuart Burrell
As for the curse, yep Weasel is right, it gets us all in the end.

It is funny how this topic has transformed over the last few days though, Weasel, acting any good gentleman would, reads Mr. Bakers post and thought Cindini was being picked on, he commented as such as now through what has been posted since it has become clear that it was not Mr. Bakers intention or desire, either as an individual or as the moderator to imply, infer or suggest anything against Cindini herself and I will not waste bandwidth going over the different points of view and history of the feud / war of words between Mr. Baker and Mr. Santini (placed in Alphabetical order in case anyone out there takes offence, if anyone does not know the story, use the search function).

And the above is a good example of the ‘curse’.

It is a curse folks, trying to stay impartial, be business like, not rocking the boat, not causing offence when you really want to be like Mr. Tripp or even like Rick used to be and say it like you see it even if what I said would have put me on collision course with both of them. Yet you are in a position of authority, there to arbitrate should you be needed and offer help and advice. It wears you down until you want out. Then you get out.

Fair enough, no loss, no real harm done when you compare the words with the events in the real World of the last week however I can quite understand and empathies with the hurt that a few on this board may be feeling.

Mr. Tripp, you have posted a lot of good things and many great ideas that you have shared through the Café, so has Weasel, so have a lot of other people including a few that have gone but that was not the issue here and what was the issue now seems to have concluded, if not resolved.

Like I said a long time ago, I have chosen to move on, away from the art. I only popped back in as someone I know mentioned my name.

Keep safe and stay well.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Steve Santini, Dark Master of Escape » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL