The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » A little more open (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
rogerj
View Profile
New user
Southern New Jersey
81 Posts

Profile of rogerj
Greetings,
First of all let me say thanks for all of the feedback I got on the Jinx and Phoenix post. However, this time I wanted to be a little more open. If you don't mind Tabman I'd like to repeat what you said in that post in a few less words, that the best way to find original material is step back a few years in books.
So that being said my friends, what are some of your favorite books to reccommend to "step back in time" into for some inspirational and "new" ideas.
Thanks
RogerJ
ROGERJ
For by GRACE are you saved through faith and not of YOURSELVES it is the GIFT of God NOT OF WORKS so no man can boast.
-Ephesians 2:8-9
All RogerJ products can be found at www.skilledmagic.8k.com
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Read the "Apocalypse" books. Also try "Magic Menu", but I think the impact of "Apocalypse" was a lot stronger in the magic world (just my guess). Tons of information in there.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
rogerj
View Profile
New user
Southern New Jersey
81 Posts

Profile of rogerj
HMM Harry Lorayne's Apacalyppse. Never even crossed my mind. Wow I read the other post....2000, theres gotta be some inspiration there. (good idea)
Thanks again for the help,
RogerJ
ROGERJ
For by GRACE are you saved through faith and not of YOURSELVES it is the GIFT of God NOT OF WORKS so no man can boast.
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
Ibidem.....lots of old stuff from many of the legends in magic today.
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Rogerj,
If you really want to "step back" a few years get out the Tarbell course or of course the classic Greater Magic. I find it surprising when I see a "new" effect performed and say, where did you get it and the reply is Tarbell.Check them out before getting into the new stuff as I think you may find many gems.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
rogerj
View Profile
New user
Southern New Jersey
81 Posts

Profile of rogerj
HMM HArry Lorayne, Tarbell.......Ibidem?
Honestly JC I actually don't know what Ibidem is? You've posted it twice so it must be good. Is it an old magazine or book. Please explain (you have indeed intrigued me!)
RogerJ
ROGERJ
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
Ibidem was a magazine back in the 50's 60's put out by P. Howard Lyons in Canada.
Originally individual magazines. Like the Apocalypse (4 volume reprint), today there is a 3 volume set reprinted of the Ibidem magazines. Elmsley had some great stuff in there, and of course Marlo has stuff thoughout the run of the magazine including 2 monthly's dedicated to his stuff. Jack Avis, the names go on and on.
It was a great magazine that can make you laugh. As it was put out, if something was wrong, the edit was a line-through the text a correction and it kept right on going......

It makes for a great read!
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
rogerj
View Profile
New user
Southern New Jersey
81 Posts

Profile of rogerj
Sounds like fun..........where can I find them?
RogeJ
ROGERJ
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
I would think a lot of the online magic shops should have access to them. I know I see them now and then on ebay for fair prices.
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2537 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Read the recent compilation of Al Baker's stuff.

I'm continually amazed at how 'fresh' Baker's material still is.

Posted: Mar 3, 2005 12:40pm
Oh! Almost forgot: The Fine Art of Magic by George G. Kaplan. Ecstasy!
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Try going back far enough, or geographically far enough, to gain a new perspective. Richard Hatch's translation of the Magic of J.N. Hofszinser is one of my favorites. Or read what you can of Robert-Houdin, or someone from the Spanish magical tradition. You will find magic that was created with an entirely different set of goals and assumptions than your own.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2005-03-03 12:40, BarryFernelius wrote:

That's one of the most underrated books there is.

I guarantee you that if you purchase that book, and it costs you $50.00, you will recover the price of the book eight times over with one simple routine. I won't tell you what it is, because I do it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
rogerj
View Profile
New user
Southern New Jersey
81 Posts

Profile of rogerj
Sounds interesting do you know where I can find it?
ROGERJ
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2005-03-24 00:38, Bill Palmer wrote:
Quote:

I guarantee you that if you purchase that book, and it costs you $50.00, you will recover the price of the book eight times over with one simple routine. I won't tell you what it is, because I do it.

Hmmmm; I love a good puzzle. I'm betting it's a Bill in Lemon!

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
GEMINI
View Profile
Regular user
WA, USA
193 Posts

Profile of GEMINI
Quote:
On 2005-03-24 00:38, Bill Palmer wrote:
Quote:

Interesting! Where can I get the book?

Sam
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Aye! There's the rub.

Your best bet is to ask several of the used book dealers, Magicbookshop.com, Andy Greget, George Daily, Bradbury, to put it on a want list for you. It's not a rare book.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
HMMM still haven't been able to find it. Is anyone selling it?
Ephes. 2:8-9

For by GRACE are ye saved through faith; and that NOT OF YOURSELVES: it is the gift of God: NOT OF WORKS, lest any man should boast.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
What's a copy worth?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
I second the recommendation of the Tarbell course. The patter that's provided is somewhat dated, but then you should be coming up with your own patter anyway. You may find newer and better sleights elsewhere, but in my opinion, it's still an excellent resource and a great value.

Tarbell is full of basic information and effects that can still be put to very good use. I do a Hank Off Wand from Tarbell #1; it uses a fake knot that's older than the hills, but it slays 'em. I've used and referred to my Tarbells for 35 years, and I'm still coming up with gems.

Buy the whole set, for the money it would be tough to make a better investment in your magic knowledge. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Does Lee Jacobs Productions still have any copies? Just thought.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » A little more open (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL