We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Flavors from the past... » » Anyone Recall Mystery Castle Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ed Hutchison
View Profile
Regular user
Madison, MS (orig. CNY)
118 Posts

Profile of Ed Hutchison
John Clifton operated this shop from his home in Columbus, Ohio. The house really looked like the setting for an old time murder mystery movie. You could just imagine the mist rising from the moor while Sherlock Holmes figured out whodunit.

John did a very extensive mail order business in the late 70's but last I knew had moved to Vegas. Anyone have an update on him?

Ed Hutchison
Edward Hutchison

Madison, MS

Home Page: http://www.ERHutchison.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7544 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I remember him but hadn't heard of him in years. He was an interesting person to say the least.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
JL608
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of JL608
I haven't thought of Mystery Castle in quite some time. Thanks for the reminder! I loved their mailers. They always had unusual offerings, and their descriptions were very detailed and entertaining.

Joe
blsorg
View Profile
Regular user
Charleston WV
149 Posts

Profile of blsorg
Yeah- He had some very unique items. Always fun to receive his mailers!
- Time flies like an arrow; Fruit flies like a banana! -

http://www.WVmagic.net
Ed Hutchison
View Profile
Regular user
Madison, MS (orig. CNY)
118 Posts

Profile of Ed Hutchison
Under the name of Dr. Doom, John published some excellent material.

Alas, in an effort to save space and money, his works were printed in all-capitals and then reduced so that he could get four pages on one. The result, of course, was that the material was anything but attractive or pleasing to the eye.

Ed Hutchison
Edward Hutchison

Madison, MS

Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20534 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
John was one of my suppliers in the late 70s and early 80s when I had a fairly busy mail order magic business in Fayetteville, AR. I still keep a few sheet of flash paper in a Mystery Castle envelope I got from him way back then. I just always enjoyed the look of it. So I keep it in my "fix it" magic brief case.

I also bought a couple of cartons of "Future Foretold" from him. The instructions mentioned a sharp guy named Edward Hutchison as the originator. Ever heard of him? LOL

I plan to perform the trick next Friday (April 14th) on the radio for a talk show promoting a stage show April 15th for Pancake Productions. It's a great "over the air" trick. It is my standard radio interview trick.

Did you ever put that out on anything but bridge size aviator cards?

It's a small world!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Ed Hutchison
View Profile
Regular user
Madison, MS (orig. CNY)
118 Posts

Profile of Ed Hutchison
No, Bob, we only produced the Future Foretold in Aviators, but it was soon ripped-off and eventually put out in every kind of deck--including even Tarot cards.

I demonstrated the trick to one of John Clifton's friends from Columbus while at an IBM convention in Washington. (This would have been about 1975!!!) The friend liked it and showed it to John. He was very enthusiastic about the effect and immediately gave me a large jobber's order. He, also, liked my little book, "Psychological Mysteries," which contained an any deck version of the Future Foretold. He ran full page ads for both in the "Linking Ring," for months on end, and, of course, became my favorite wholesale customer. He bought hundreds of them.

In fact, I have a clear memory of my oldest son sitting at our basement ping-pong table busily assembling the decks, trying to keep up with the wholesale orders that came in following John's extensive advertising of the trick. I think he earned all of a quarter per deck.

Each time I went through Columbus I would stop in and see John at his home on E. Cooke Ave. He operated Mystery Castle Magic from this site and, yes, it truly looked like you would expect a mystery castle to look. I happened to be driving through Columbus last week and, naturally, thought again of John, and his most unusual former home.

Ed Hutchison
Madison, MS
Edward Hutchison

Madison, MS

Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20534 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Ed,

If it will help your feelings, Aviator is still the only way I have Future Foretold. (I still have most of the two cartons that I kept for myself when I bought them from Clifton years ago.) At 10 AM today I will use a yellowing deck of Aviators in my radio interview promoting the Pancake Productions stage/theater show for Friday night. The four choices have been put into numerical order to help the geriatric wizard remember them. Then I go to the theater for an “angles” check while there is no one there to see what I’m doing. Surely I’m the youngest magician that has ever played there!

Odd thing is, that the last time I performed for this group many years ago, I was doing an old magic trick called “Shrinking Glove”. I understand it was a courthouse hit in California among lay people on a jury.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Flavors from the past... » » Anyone Recall Mystery Castle Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL