The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Introducing/Producing 3D Rabbits (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Hello all,
I open one of my sets w/ sponge bunnies. The problem I have w/ them is that I believe the audience thinks that they are childish until the magic starts to happen. This is partially my fault because the routine I use takes about 30 seconds for something magical to happen. I want to rework the opening patter/phase so something magical happens right away. Maybe a split? Production? gag?
I do a fair amount of High caliber card and coin material in my act so I want the sponge bunnies to fit in. I think that they are a wonderful opener but I want the audience to take my magic seriously from START to finish. Any suggestions or material references are greatly appreciated.
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1132 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
I always open with the sponge bunnies. My routine starts by introducing a purse frame. I tell the audience that I have never figured out what it is. I allow someone to examine it and ask them to guess. Usually they say it's a purse clip. I remark, "You know I think that's the closest answer I've been able to come up with; maybe it's an invisible coin purse or something. Of course you couldn't put real coins inside because they'd fall out the bottom. Anyways the real reason I've kept it is because there's just enough room for my little bunny friend." I deliver this patter as I do the false show of the purse being empty and then produce the bunny from the purse frame.

"Have you ever seen the bunny trick?" Usually they say no. "Well it's a lot like the one where they get a lady on stage and cut her in half. Have you ever seen that trick before, ma'am?" She will reply yes. "Will you lay down on the table for me real quick?" This line should get a laugh when she of course says no to my request.

"That's ok, that's why I bring the bunny: it's a lot cheaper on insurance. You see my finger will be the blade and if I run my finger right down the middle, I won't cut the bunny in half, but I will cut him in two." Reveal that the bunny has now tranformed into two.

This is more or less the way I usually introduce the trick. It's not the exact patter, but you should get the idea. Let me know if you have any more questions about it. Hope this helps.

Caleb
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
Scott Wells
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston, TX
1025 Posts

Profile of Scott Wells
I often open with the sponge bunnies, too. I first ask the table if everything is okay and they enjoyed the food. I get them in a positive, nodding-yes mode then I introduce myself as the house magician and not the restaurant manager and tell them that I am the after dinner entertainment. I don't necessarily ask if they would like to "see some magic" because you are asking a yes or no question and you don't want the latter answer; however, if I do approach the table this way, I have already endeared myself to them because I have shown that I am interested in their dining experience. And I have them already nodding yes. So what can they say but yes if I were to ask if they want to "see some magic"?

That said, I put the two sponge bunnies on the table and say that magicians are known for using rabbits and I happen to use two...a mommy rabbit and a daddy rabbit. "Do you know how to tell the difference?" I pick them up and turn them over as if looking at their underside and before they can answer, I say, "the mommy rabbit has longer eye lashes." Still no magic has happened since I have been at their table for at least one minute by then, but they are having fun and they now like me...even though no magic has taken place.

Now here's the work. Place both rabbits in the open palm of your volunteer. Take one rabbit and say, "I am going to take daddy rabbit in my hand," place one in the hand and close it, then open it again and remove it and place that rabbit back on the table and say, "sorry that was the mommy rabbit." Pick up the other rabbit from the volunteer's hand and feign putting that in your hand as you pick up the other rabbit from the table and deliver the bundle to the volunteer's hand saying, "I will take the daddy rabbit and you hold the mommy rabbit. The daddy has to help the magician by hanging out in the magician's top hat all day waiting for him to pull him out."

Continue from there but I'm not giving more details on this open forum Smile

Hope this helps.

yours,
Scott
"A magician who isn't working is only fooling himself." - Scott Wells, M.I.M.C. with Gold Star

The Magic Word podcast: http://themagicwordpodcast.com Listen to convention coverage, interviews with magicians, pictures, videos and more.

Magic Inspirations website for all things Banachek: www.magicinspirations.net
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Thanks guys...keep em comin!

BTW, who do you think has the best DVD/Video/printed material on the 3D rabbits?

Has anyone seen the rabbit routine in the Fleshman DVDs? If you have what did you think? Did he use Gosh 3Ds or the cheaper versions? Was the routine structured well?
I have also heard good things about Doug Conn and Steve Dacri. Can anyone comment on their routines or tell me where I can find their routines published?

Thanks in advance...
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
reaper
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of reaper
I use a routine from eric henning called Imaginary Bunnies. Although his routine is suited for children, I have used it for adults, and they enjoyed it as well. He is around here on the Café sometimes. His book TIPS is a good read, and offers some great advice on restaurant magic.
Scott Wells
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston, TX
1025 Posts

Profile of Scott Wells
First of all, I HIGHLY endorse Eric's book, "TIPS". It is a great value even if you don't do the sponge bunnies. Thanks to Eric's suggestions, I now wear a pair of Deer Stags and I have joined the Toastmasters. You have to read TIPS to get that kind of information that is outside of the "trick" field.

Next, I also recommend the book by Chuck Smith which I think is called, "If" and includes a great sponge bunny routine where you never go to your pocket to for the baby bunny loads. Furthermore, it has a line of patter where the male rabbit is referred to as a "buck" and the female as a "doe (dough)" and the babies are wrapped up in a dollar bill. I won't go further, but it is a well-structured routine.

I'm not sure, but I know that H&R Magic Books had Smith's book in stock.

yours,
Scott
"A magician who isn't working is only fooling himself." - Scott Wells, M.I.M.C. with Gold Star

The Magic Word podcast: http://themagicwordpodcast.com Listen to convention coverage, interviews with magicians, pictures, videos and more.

Magic Inspirations website for all things Banachek: www.magicinspirations.net
Ronnie Ramin
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of Ronnie Ramin
I use a great routine from a Café' Member Bdekolta aka Dan Strange. It is filled with gags and bits of business that makes it really work. I won't tip it, but he might PM him.

Ronnie
Brad Lancaster
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Brad Lancaster
I use the old ingrown hare gag to introduce my rabbits.
Big Al Jnr
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, England
155 Posts

Profile of Big Al Jnr
Hi all

I've been looking for the Eric Hennings book "Tips" mentioned above and have finally found that Denny Magic are the authorised retailers, their link is below:-

http://www.dennymagic.com/

Hope this helps.

Al.
The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and, if they can’t find them, make them. George Bernard Shaw.
EricHenning
View Profile
Loyal user
Laurel, Maryland
218 Posts

Profile of EricHenning
Hi gang!
I know I'm late to the game here, but three things:
1. TIPS is also available directly from me at http://www.TheWand.net. Denny is the exclusive dealer.

2. "Imaginary Bunnies" is not in the TIPS book. It is an "extra" I gave out with the book at a lecture and as an add-on during special promotions for the book on a few Web lists. It is not currently for sale. However, I am considering adding it to "Son of TIPS," which I am writing just now. Or possibly to a set of lecture notes for later this year.

3. If you want to know when "Imaginary Bunnies" will be released, you can join my "First Notice" email list at www.The Wand.net

Thanks. Just wanted to get correct info out there.
Cheers,
Eric
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Introducing/Producing 3D Rabbits (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL