The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A Strange Transaction ! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
I have just ebay'd a vintage synth in very bad condition. This was pointed out in the description and could be clearly seen in the pictures. Is was only just working, the main board was broken and patched and shown.
Anywayz up, The total was over £250 for this broken up thing that I bought 11 years ago for £40.
that's not the end of it.
I had people mail me asking for the hi res picture used in the ebay ad too use on things like flyers and tee shirts. So I thought, If you want it so much then buy it!
I then put up an auction for the rights to the original hi res pictures (they were a composite of two pictures).

I thought I would have no takers.

I was wrong!

I sold two digital pictures for £5

Now that's magic!!!!
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Too bad you didn't have a toasted cheese sandwich with the face of Elvis appearing in the toast. Then you could have retired!

Yours,

Paul
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Paul,

I'm working on it. It's amazing what you can do on bread with the broiler and a little tin foil.

;)

Mark
What would Wavy do?
Grimm
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Grimm
I've begun a company which only makes food products with the images of dieties from around the world cleverly baked right in. I suspect if I do this long enough that I will be canonized.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
As Homer Simpson would say "MMMMMMM. Sacrilicious"
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1238 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
Partisan....just a thought but there are many "fake" Ebay auctions where someone posts a similar auction using a pic that's not even theirs and the payment is made through Paypal but the winner never recieves the goods. Wonder if you'll see a auction similar to yours with your actual pic? When once attempting to buy a Trek road racing bike I found 3 auctions by 3 different sellers that had the same pic of the bike outside of the same house and all 3 sellers were from different parts of the world....Malaysia, Europe and Canada! Same pic of the bike! Crazy!!
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
I did put up in big red letters to "READ THIS CAREFULLY", and that the auction was for digital pictures.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1238 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
Good looking out for you! Ebay is a great tool and it's unfortunate how people abuse it's system.
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
danelwood
View Profile
New user
New Hampshire
85 Posts

Profile of danelwood
Always good to be wary on Ebay. Whenever I buy I look for lots of feedback
hovering around 100% positive. Several times I've seen the same picture
used for different auctions by the same people in different places.

When I inquired, the folks with the high scores usually respond that they either don't have a digital camera, or they have dial up that makes it nearly impossible to upload. Thought I'd mention that so somebody does not needlessly miss out on a great deal because of a duplicate pic-- probably will push a certain amount of wary high bidders out of the picture and you can get a lower price than usual.

Dan
"Now watch closely!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A Strange Transaction ! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL