The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Hours Of Practice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
James Owen
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of James Owen
All right mates! How are you all doing? Fine, I hope.
How many hours a week do you put in learning magic? Any help or information received would be a big help.

Thanks for your time and help; it is very much appreciated.

Best Regards

James Owen Smile Smile
kcgroves
View Profile
New user
Colorado
15 Posts

Profile of kcgroves
Hi James,
I spend about 3-4 hours a day practicing and learning some new material. I think it all depends on how much time you have. I can sit and watch T.V. or a video and practice differnt slieghts and moves. It keeps me from always watching my hands and then the moves just happen when applied to a routine. Hope this helps some.
Kyle
In every smile there is always magic!
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
I think it will vary a little bit by skill level and also what tricks you are working on. My dad teaches music and as a “learned habit” a good rule of thumb is at least an hour a day (M-F)

Plus – if you are a hobbyist (like myself) as opposed to someone who needs to stay on their game and make a living at this (Like Scott Guinn) he and I are going to vary greatly in how much time we devote to the craft.

Blessings,
Anthony
View Profile
New user
NYC
56 Posts

Profile of Anthony
I try to squeeze in at least an hour a day; between my classes I try to perform as well. I think what you are practicing is a big factor. I have been practicing with cards for over a year, and I have recently started to practice with coins. The learning curve, in my opinion, is sharper than that for cards. The margin for errors are less it seems. With coins, I try to practice every chance I can, especially before I go to sleep.
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed."
-- Albert Einstein
Winston
View Profile
New user
UK
12 Posts

Profile of Winston
I used to put in a specific set time (such as an hour a day)

Although I still put in dedicated, uninteruppted practice/rehearsal time, I find that I also learn well by doing it as a habbit, such as whilst watching TV, or having a snack, - or anytime I am sitting around and my hands (and brain) can handle doing it while doing something else.

It has worked for me, in a similar way to the way in which we learn the words to popular songs (e.g., listening repeatedly without even thinking about it).

So next time you find yourself sitting doing very little with your hands - grab that pack of cards or set of coins.

Cheers
r4bid
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of r4bid
I practice whenver I have time, no real set schedule...
I would say I average about 3-8 hours a week depending on how busy I am (yes that is a huge variation)
Rod Lages
View Profile
Loyal user
Brasilia, Brazil
250 Posts

Profile of Rod Lages
I carry a bicycle deck with me all the time wherever I go. Whenever you have some free time, start to practice. Don´t miss a chance to perform as well. Practice is the KEY word.

Best Regards,
Rod Lages
"Confusion isn't Magic" - Dai Vernon
Matt Graves
View Profile
Special user
Huntsville, Alabama (USA)
504 Posts

Profile of Matt Graves
In the Amateur Magician's Handbook by Henry Hay, he writes that with coins and cards and other small staples of magic, you can practice what you like, when you like, whenever you like. Of course it takes practice, but practice that is almost pure pleasure. He quoted Jack Merlin saying that practice was something he did because he couldn't resist it. When he forced himself, he accomplished nothing. When you get tired or bored, you stop. The result is that you never get bored and though you tire, you don't realize it. You might even need to take it easy on the practice, just to keep from overworking yourself. It's using psychology on yourself.
James Owen
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of James Owen
Thanks, you have all been most helpful. I'm grateful for all your replies.

Best Regards

Take Care all of you Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Danno
View Profile
New user
Boston
94 Posts

Profile of Danno
Depends on what type of magic you're practicing.
I'm into coins. Luckily, this is the easiest to practice almost anytime. Everyone has coins in their pockets all day long. I'm able to practice at work during downtime, and when there isn't downtime, you can just palm a coin at work as you do your regular work. It's kid of like a game with me.
-Will I be able to palm a coin AND type at the keyboard?
_Will I be able to palm a coin AND shake the bosses hand? Smile
Rafa
View Profile
Regular user
Costa Rica
102 Posts

Profile of Rafa
Paganini was often accused of making a deal with the devil - the only explanation for his extraordinary violin performances. "Eight hours a day is the only deal I have" he said.
But when you're a beginner I'd say stop practicing before you feel satisfied. This makes you have this "want to practice" feeling.

Hope it helps.
Smile
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1546 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
I find that the only time that I have for practice is around 10:30 til midnite @ night because three children and my wife come first. (Did I tell you that I'm very tired in the mornings?)

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer

Coming soon:
Victorian Secrets: An Evening With The Spirits!
Tommy1324
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
104 Posts

Profile of Tommy1324
I usually carry my close up stuff with me to work. I have a pressing job but, it's more paperwork than actual physical labor. So I guess I actually get paid to practice.
Which is more than I get for doing the actual magic I have learned.
Tommy1324
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
I practice all the time. Sometimes during class at the college I attend. On the bus to and from the college. People notice me practicing and want me to show them stuff. It's a great way to just start doing magic for people in public. In my opinion. I have found that If I am not practicing anything, I'm uncomfortable. Magic keeps me relaxed.

:rotf:
Just4Fun
View Profile
New user
Dallas
49 Posts

Profile of Just4Fun
For me there's three kinds of practice.

1) Practice basic moves. I practice coin palming and sleights, rubber bands (CMH, Stargazer) and some card handling all the time. I always have coins, bands and some cards in my wallet and pockets. Anytime I have a few minutes (office, over lunch, on travel, in front of the TV, etc.)

2) Practice tricks. I get a new trick, say, Color Monte, and spend about 3-4 hours just working out the moves and patter. Then I practice it several times a day for a week or more until I'm very comfortable with it. Usually late at night, when the kids are in bed.

3) Act. Practice the patter, transition, removing/retrieving stuff from my bag, from my servante, etc. I only do this about once or twice a week, and need at least a solid hour to work through large chunks of it. I normally only work through about 2-4 bits, and work hard on the transition part.
ActuariaLug
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of ActuariaLug
I'm a violinist in my school's orchestra. During the last rehearsal, I tried practicing classic palm (coins). It was pretty much impossible to do with the left hand, which moves way too much. On the other hand, the bowing hand got in some decent palming time. Good thing my stand is at the back or the conductor would have noticed. I probably spend more time with coins than with my violin. I guess it goes to show why I'm last chair. Smile
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
That sounds pretty cool. I palm all the time when I'm working. I am a cashier at Taco Bell. So I will have maybe one or two half dollars in my palm at all times when I am changing money. Sometimes if a cute girl comes in, I'll do a quick trick. Smile God Bless the bell... Smile
dekerivers
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of dekerivers
I don't know if this is such a "good" suggestion but I practice alot with coins, and cards when I'm driving in my car. I also listen to the radio. When I find myself steering with one knee, rolling a coin on my left fingers, one handed card flourishes in my right all the while singing out loud to the song on the radio, then I know I've got the sleights down. It's kind of like one big juggling act. Just keep a close lookout for a blue mini van that's swerving all over the road. But hey at least I don't have a cell phone! Ha Ha Smile
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2003-03-01 01:14, dekerivers wrote:
I don't know if this is such a "good" suggestion but I practice alot with coins,and cards when I'm driving in my car.

dekerivers,

I was wondering if anyone else has reached this crazy level of practice. Smile
I always carry five Bee cards in my shirt pocket which come in handy while sitting in traffic. During slow traffic I'll practice single card productions and various other productions/flourishes.
In Vol.3 The Art of Card Manipulation video, Jeff McBride suggests keeping cards by the phone and couch. You can practice while busy on the phone and certainly while watching T.V.
Every minute counts my friends.
dekerivers
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of dekerivers
RandyStewart,
Yeah, my girlfriend is always yelling at me about my what she calls a "nervous habit" when I'm driving. I guess she's probably right, but the thing is,I don't even notice that I've got a deck of cards in my hand. I probably would have a harder time driving if my hands weren't kept occupied. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Hours Of Practice (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL