The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Val Evans Stop Trick--Reviews Please! (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dr. Faust
View Profile
Regular user
Louisville, Kentucky
183 Posts

Profile of Dr. Faust
Can anyone give me a review of the Val Evans Stop Trick? It's made by Viking Magic. It consists of a wooden houlette, a red ribbon, and a normal deck of cards. Two spectators pick two different cards, they are returned to the deck, and the cards are placed in the houlette with the ribbon beneath. The cards are then taken from the back of the houlette one at a time. At any time, the volunteers may say, "stop." The ribbon is then pulled to raise the deck, and the next card to be removed is the spectator's chosen card.

I would mainly like to know how good this trick is? How likely is it that a spectator can figure it out? Can the chosen cards be returned to the deck in any position. Or, do they have to returned to the back of the deck, very close to where the cards get removed? Just knowing whether the cards can be returned to the deck anywhere would answer a lot of what I want to know. That and any other information would be greatly appreciated. If you have any specific information about the workings of this trick and especially its gimmick, I'd also appreciate a private message about it. I am trying to decide whether to buy or not to buy.

Always Curious,

Dr. Faust
"I have such sights to show you!"
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Umm, Doc. Is this a "How Does It Work?" question? You gave a review of it your self, and it works just d*** fine. You need to be able to control a card, but that's it. Audiences will not tumble to the method, it's a well-regarded classic for a reason. Getit new or snag it on Ebay when it (seldom) shows up.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Dr. Faust
View Profile
Regular user
Louisville, Kentucky
183 Posts

Profile of Dr. Faust
Thanks Tom! I'm sure I'll be getting one soon!

Dr. Faust
"I have such sights to show you!"
evanthx
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
197 Posts

Profile of evanthx
So I looked this up...I have a old trick of my father's from when he performed in the 50's. He sorta remembered what it was...he hasn't performed in a VERY long time. I did a google search on this and much to my surprise saw a updated version of the item my dad used to use.

Kinda cool, I enjoyed that. I'm not sure how the effect was done, might have to go puzzle that out later. I found a "special" feature, just have to puzzle out how to make it work properly.
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
The manuscript is still svailable for about $5 that has all construction details, if your the crafty sort.
IpswichRich
View Profile
New user
MA
21 Posts

Profile of IpswichRich
Viking Magic has recently restocked Stop Trick. Just received mine. Wonderfully made piece.
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1594 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Just received Val Evans (stop trick).
This trick is worth more than twice the price I paid. The material and craftsmanship is second to none and the method is undetectable.
Anyone owning this trick want to PM me, I may have a better way of presenting the trick. I feel that the ribbon and brass clip is not necessary and may cause problems during presentation.
Tricky Ricky
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2076 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
I have an original made of acrylic and I use it quite often. It's one of the staples of magic. It's a wonderful effect. The one that Viking offers is even nicer because it's made of wood.
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
Raymond42
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Raymond42
A wonderful effect, beautifully constructed and a real fooler.

At the climax, where cards are removed, I let SPECTATOR take both ends of the ribbon and lift the cards out of the houlette. He then removes next card, seen to be his. This makes the effect seem 'hands off', even more impossible.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3357 Posts

Profile of Julie
A good handling is to do a single loop "tie" of the ribbon across the top end of the deck at the climax.

This makes the removal of the deck easier, looks fairer and automatically executes the sneaky maneuver.

Anyone else do it this way?

Julie
Raymond42
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Raymond42
Thanks for sharing your brilliant idea - one I'll certainly be using.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3357 Posts

Profile of Julie
Another tip: Use BEE playing cards to add an additional layer of disguise to confound the onlookers. Smile
Raymond42
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Raymond42
Yet another of your ideas I'll be utilising, thanks!
hektormagic
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of hektormagic
Can we see a video demonstration of the trick? Some link?
Creator of Mental Card, Mystery Calendar, Houdini Spirit Board, UniPeek and eXact ESP.
Find more on my website: http://hektormagic.com/products
magicden
View Profile
Regular user
scotland
103 Posts

Profile of magicden
Just to ask if the Viking model of this prop works 100% of the time and easily. I have just bought a second hand one which is slightly different to the Viking one. May even be home made. I have trouble getting the card into where it has to go with the ribbon on. Sometimes more than one card goes but not all the way if you know what I mean.
I will buy the Viking one if it works better.
Thanks
Den.
Raymond42
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Raymond42
My Viking version works like a dream - well worth the expenditure.
magicden
View Profile
Regular user
scotland
103 Posts

Profile of magicden
Thanks Raymond. I have just ordered one.
Den
Kevin Janise
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Kevin Janise
Same question as hektormagic, has anyone come across a video demo of this trick?

Thanks,

Kevin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Val Evans Stop Trick--Reviews Please! (3 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL