The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Imperial Sword Thru Neck review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Can anyone who owns the Imperial Sword Thru Neck or who has seen it in performance give a review ?

Here is link showing the sword with description:

http://www.makmagic.com/Sections/product......087#disp

This one retails at $200.00 . More expensive than some of the "toy" models out there, but considerably less than the famous Dante sword version.

What is intriguing about this one is the description of the sword:

Quote:
Single Blade Sword
Sword is ONE SINGLE Piece of Rigid Tempered Steel
Solid Brass Handle
No tapes or magnets needed. No edge tape replacement

Stock hinged with HEAVY easy-to-work LATCHES.
Brass handle. 24K gold plated handle. Sword is Nickel chrome plated
Wooden neck stock. Teak wood molding. Polyurethane clear lacquered.
24K Gold plated Brass fittings.
Sword can be viewed from all sides and angles

The sword is described as being 25" inches long , but I want to know if that means the actual
blade part is 25" inches or does that include the sword handle (total of 25" from end of handle to tip of sword blade) ? One of the things I don't care for in several of the models I've seen is that the "sword" is more like a long knife or skewer ; it doesn't really look like much of a sword. The Imperial Sword looks impressive in the photo in the link given above, but there's no relative size comparison shown to judge how it actually looks performance .

(I have put out emailed inquiries to a couple of dealers who are selling this , but have not yet heard back from them regarding the actual length of sword blade , but frankly I'd rather hear from someone who has purchased the thing or seen it performed .)
magicmanfrank
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of magicmanfrank
I too would like to hear from someone who actually has "Used" this version.
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!!!

Frank Thurston

www.FrankThurstonMagic.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Magic-of-Frank-Thurston/116625117910?ref=nf
RabbitsRevenge
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of RabbitsRevenge
Looks to me, from the picvs, that the blade is a FLAT piece of metal with a centerline crimped in. The other props look pretty slick but that blade may be hokey close up. I am not slamming the product but I am a bit hesitant. Let's get a real review and see!
RR
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On 2005-03-05 22:35, RabbitsRevenge wrote:
Looks to me, from the picvs, that the blade is a FLAT piece of metal with a centerline crimped in. The other props look pretty slick but that blade may be hokey close up. I am not slamming the product but I am a bit hesitant. Let's get a real review and see!
RR

Hmmmm....... I looked at the photos again . Hard to say. Unfortunately there are times when advertising photos are slightly "enhanced" . Still hoping someone who owns one or has seen it demo'd up close can chime in here with a review .
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Yes I own this and have been using it in my shows. I long gave up doing the other versions because the sword didn't look real. Well folks this sword does LOOK real. It is a flat piece of metal with a middle bend but it looks real from a short distances away. So real that many people will be afraid to let you do the trick on them!

The blade if struck by the edge on your table can be struck several times proven the sword is solid. This really looks good. I have found that you can toss a piece of newspaper in the air and easily stab it with the sword and then proceed to rip the paper to shreads...try that with the India and Mak swords, it won't work.

Finally this sword has a fairly sharp point on it..it will easily pop a balloon--sometimes the mak version just pressed against the balloon.

A tip is too put the stock on the person's neck and then GENTLY touch their neck with the blade...and ask them if it is sharp. They can FEEL the sharpness of the blade. I've had people ask me to NOT do the trick, and to release them after they have felt the sharpness of the point. Nothing hokey about this blade. The stock is made so it hinges and gives no fumbling to put around the person's neck.

Another important feature--the neck hole has been enlarge. The stocks from another company in India were so small only a child would fit or a very small bone lady. MAK MAGIC was some better but most adults would not fit.

This stock will hold most any size adult even if they have a little fat on their neck with no problem. If using with a child (not recommended as this will scare them to the point of crying when they see the blade, if they are in the stocks)just
wrap a small silk around their neck to absorb the blood and to fill in the gap.

However a word of caution....the quality of the swords seem to vary. Some of the swords are made of a THICKER metal while others are more flimsly. We got these in at our shop and I was able to carefully examine each sword. I found
there was difference. The sword I use is very sturdy and can be waved in the air and banged on a table. On the other hand I saw one where the metal was flimsly and if you waved it thru the air too hard the sword would appear flexible (BAD). This is an item that I would ask the dealer to check out the sword and send you the thickest one they have in stock.

Get a good sword and you have a real winner here. It is a nice alternative to the Dante sword without doing a switch.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Thanks for the review !
Greg P
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Florida
6 Posts

Profile of Greg P
I've looked long and hard at this one and think I'll stick with the one I got from Gene Gordon. Just have to take the time to keep taping mine together! : )
He's Funbelievable!
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
The sword on this unit looks way too short for my tastes. I will be sticking to the classic version of the sword, especially since I just got my Wolfs Magic Sword Through Neck Stocks last year.
As for the realism issue of the sword. It has been my experience that it doesn't matter at all. It's all in the presentation fella's.
I did my STN routine a couple of weeks ago for a national sword combat symposium. It was a room full of people who know what real swords look like and how to fight with them. There were experts on everything from rapiers to great swords. Of all the people who complimented me on my performance (and there were many) not one of them questioned the authenticity of the sword.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Imperial Sword Thru Neck review (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL