The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Bunnies getting along (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
I've had my female Dutch dwarf for close to 6 years now and I'm thinking its time for her to enjoy the old bunny life. I was thinking about getting two new rabbits so they could play together and keep each other company. Would two neutered males get along? or two non-spaded females?
Edd
Edd Fairman, Wizard of Sorts is a corporate magician available for your next trade show, hospitality suite, client luncheon, or company event. http://www.wizardofsorts.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I'm confused. Are getting company for the existing bunny, or are you planning to have new younger bunnies in a separate cage?

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dakota Rose
View Profile
New user
Dakota Rose
100 Posts

Profile of Dakota Rose
HiEdd,

I have 2 female Dwarf Netherlands (sisters). They are not spade. They got along great for about 2 years and then one of them (the larger one) started biting the other one. It was "really bad". The smaller almost died. I separated them but they can still see each other through their cages. A couple of times, I tried to put them back together, but it didn't work out. They still fought.

Hope this helps.

Dakota Rose
Dream things that never were and say, "Why not."

Junior Editor Linking Ring - Youth Forum

www.dakotarosemagic.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Edd,

Dakota addresses what I was trying to warn you about. Not only can you not always add rabbits safely to a cage, but also there are times when one is suddenly rejected. It is often deadly. In nature, they really take lots of room.

(Howdy Dakota! Long time, no see!)

Good Luck!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Crispy
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
207 Posts

Profile of Crispy
I had two neutered males that were very attached to each other. When one finally died of old age, the other one passed not long after . . . so they can get along fine with each other.

One of my rabbits (now named Horse) has grown to be quite huge and thinks she is one of our cats. She began using one of the cat's litter boxes and now has one of her own. She'll often sleep in the same bed as the cats, so it's amazing which animals will put up with each other. Of course, it's oftent he luck of the draw and not something that can really be predicted.

Cris
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I would not keep 2 rabbits in the same cage.
Most cages just don't have the space needed.
When they have to compete they get aggressive.
Daniel Faith
wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
I was thinking about getting two new ones. So, they could keep each other company. But I guess that's not what they really want. I guess rabbits are not really social animals.
Edd
Edd Fairman, Wizard of Sorts is a corporate magician available for your next trade show, hospitality suite, client luncheon, or company event. http://www.wizardofsorts.com
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Wizard,

Fostering for the Humane Society, I've had numerous animals in my home and have introduced them successfully with little problems. Here's the key to making it work.

The animals must always meet on neutral territory. It's imperative your bunny not meet a new animal in it's cage. In fact, I highly recommend you get a new cage if you are considering getting a new pet. Or, you can throughly wash the existing one and change all the bedding if getting a new cage is not feasible.Animals get pretty territorial about their living space but then again would be the same thing if you returned home today and found a stranger sitting in your pj's on your couch, eating your food. :O) You get the idea!

According to my vet, the two animals of different species that get along the best are a rabbit and guinea pig. I've had several living for years together in cages and it seems to suit them fine. It's very touching to see the rabbit grooming the guinea pig and the guinea pigs cuddling with the rabbit. They keep each other company and it's always been my experience they do benefit from the bonding together.

I've done this numerous times as the rabbits average life span is 10 years, while guinea pigs are 5. It helps if the guinea pig is still a baby. Just on a side note guinea pigs have the same food as rabbits so it makes it easy at meal times with the exception that they often lack vitamin C. You can buy a supliment at a pet food store and add it to their water. They also squeak during feeding times - kinda cute as you get the feeling they are happy to see you.

Most animals do best if you introduce them on neutral territory like I've previously mentioned and those of the opposite sex. The good thing about rabbits and guinea pigs is there is no need to worry about spaying or neutering. I've also introduced a female rabbit to a young male with no problems, they did live harmoniously together. (Just make sure one of them is fixed, or better yet both) if you decide to do this.

I had my guinea pigs live in an large outdoor pen with the rabbits for years. The thing to remember is to have the guinea pig used to the pen in warmer weather as normally they don't live outdoors. Not sure where you are from and how cold it gets, as the weather is mild where I live even in the winter. I placed a lot of straw for the bedding and also had a house inside the shelter for them. The rabbit and guinea pig would play together and always sleep together. Anyway, that's what I would recommend if you want to get a playmate for your bunny.

Good luck to you.

Chrystal
wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
Chrystal,
Thanks for the advice. My rabbit is female, 5 years old, and my fience has a guinea pig that is male and 3 years old. We have tried a little to introduce them but the rabbit just seems annoyed by the nibbling and sniffing she gets from the guinea pig. Both of our animals live indoors as we live in Chicago and it gets very, very cold here! I think I'll put the new bunnies on hold.
Edd
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Edd,

That's a shame your finance's guinea pig and your bunny didn't get along. Would have been perfect! It could be due to their ages, always best if one is still a baby. Or just like people sometimes personalities clash.:O)

Chrystal
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1069 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
I have 13 bunnies. Well, 6 are newborns. The others range from 2 months to 1 year. Since your bunny is not fixed, I would not recommend introducing any other bunny into the cage. Her hormones will kick in at that time of the month and she will get AGRESSIVE...either sexually or harmfully.

She will mount anything that moves even though she is female!

Also, you want to have bunnies that are about the same age and/or size. Otherwise the bigger or older one will dominate.
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Edd:
What Chrystal said about the cage is very important. Females living alone become very protective of their cage space, it is their home, in their head, they are protecting their babies.

My rabbit follows our cat all over the house and is very affectionate with me. Kisses and grooms (ny head) for hours as she sits on my shoulder when I am in the recliner.

However, if I reach into her cage to move something, she attacks me with a fervor. No biting, but plenty of thrashing with her front feet. I have learned to respect this instinct in her.

You would not believe what this gentle loving rabbit does when the “big black hose” from our ShopVac sucks out her bedding. When she sees me getting it out of the closet, if she is in her cage, she starts posturing and getting ready. I really think she looks forward to it. It is her chance to protect her home. It is really very touching.

I would think that Chrystal’s idea about a new “neutral” cage is a good idea for any introduction.

Bob
wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
Bob, Chrystal, Everyone,
Thanks for the advice. I am not going to buy any new bunnies right now. I don't think we/I am ready for it. But thanks again.
Edd
EvanMagic
View Profile
Elite user
Winnipeg, MB
471 Posts

Profile of EvanMagic
I have heard somewhere that males fight, while females do not. Doubt this is true in most cases, but I owned 2 females and they got along perfectly in a cage together.
magicleland
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of magicleland
I got two males out of the same litter and it works great. Be sure to neuter them. They will get along in tricks and transport cages, but I would not let them live together.
zig zag illusion - $3,000
theater rental - $500
geting advice from othe magicians on the cafe - priceless
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
I also have 2 male rabbits from the same litter and another male that is a week younger of the same species. All three are in a large multi level cage with plenty of room and do very well together. I have talked to the breeder where I purchased them and she recommended getting them all fixed between 4 and 6 month's of age to prevent any trouble. She assured me that if they were fixed at that age there wouldn't be any problems. So far (nock on wood), so good.

I also asked her about what I have read here on the Café regarding rabbit's fighting, and asked her what I should expect. She said that most males would fight, but since mine have been together since being taken from the mother it shouldn't be any trouble. (She does this all the time with her many liters) The breeder did state that if they are not fixed they would defiantly 'spray' and could become territorial, and that later it was possible that one (probably the non sibling) might be rejected from the group.

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Bunnies getting along (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL