The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Shiels Effect (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
I think the book, like all of Doc Shiels' works, is filled with excellent material. I've always considered, though, that the title of this particular volume was intended to describe the state you're in after viewing the "detailed" photos of Tony's daughter! Smile

... Doug
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
max88
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of max88
Sounds interesting, where can I find more info about Doc Shiels and his work? Thanks.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Many of Tony "Doc" Shiels' books will be difficult to find; some are valued collector's items. Here's a reasonably complete list:

Thirteen! (Tony Shiels) undated - Supreme Magic
Something Strange (Tony Shiels) undated - Supreme Magic
Daemons, Darklings, and Doppelgangers (Tony Shiels) ** undated - Supreme Magic
And Then There Were Three (Tony Shiels, Tony Raven, and Roy Fromer) 1974 - Bob Lynn
Entertaining With ESP (Tony Shiels) 1974 - David & Charles [for the general public]
The Shiels Effect (Niacail O'Siaghail (pseudonym)) 1976 - Bob Lynn/Tony Raven
Bizarre (Tony Shiels) ** 1988 - Martin Breese
Monstrum! A Wizard's Tale (Tony Shiels) 1989 [no further data; I don't have this]
The Cantrip Codex (Tony Shiels) ** 1989 - Tony Andruzzi

Those marked with "**" are hardcover, with dustjackets; the others are paperbacked.

As you might surmise from the titles, Tony has an inclination to the bizarre, though these books contain excellent "traditional" mentalism as well, and lots of very inventive ideas.

... Doug
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
max88
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of max88
Oh, Doug, you are so full of knoweldge. I have to start searching where the book are. Thanks for the detail list.
Scott
View Profile
Special user
UK
799 Posts

Profile of Scott
I have a number of Tony's books, have just re-read Bizzare and have just started to re-read for the hundreth time (as it is my favorite) The Cantrip Codex.

Tony is one of my favorite bizzare/mentalism (although he hates that term) magick writers.

Technically the effects are simple but Tony is a great advocate of presentation and effect on the audience being the only things that matter.

Everytime I read the introduction and thoughts section at the start of the Cantrip Codex, which explains his views on mentalists and magicians in general, I am moved to change my thinking as well as what I call myself professionally.

And yes as Doug has mentioned I find myself dwelling over the pictures of his Sky Clad daughter the witch Cait Sidh.

If you can get hold of them do so.

Scott
Scott Creasey - Mind Reader

Original Routines With A Mental Flavour

http://www.mentalmagicism.com/
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Doc Shiels is now living in Ireland, retired from performing and spending his time (like Chan Canasta) painting.

He gave a talk for a magic club early last year which I attended. It was also my first time to meet Doc. A wonderful character.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
And if you know Doc, you'll know that while he may be retired from professional performing, he will always be a performer in the truest and most honourable sense of that term!

... Doug
Gardinski
View Profile
New user
UK
66 Posts

Profile of Gardinski
You might also like to know that there is a Tony Shiels video entitled "It's Alive!!!", which is bizarre in every sense of the word. (I picked mine up from Russell Hall in the UK, an associate of Martin Breese's, so it might be worth contacting Martin if you're interested.)

Unlike most of the videos available by magical performers, it's debatable whether you will learn anything whatsoever by studying Doc's tape, but it's probably the funniest and strangest thing I've ever seen. He spends a lot of time walking around bits of rural Ireland pointing at trees and bushes and saying "GREEEEEEN!" in his inimitable brogue.

And there's a nice bit with a wobbly rock, and some interesting photographs of sea monsters. It's not so much a lecture tape, more a voyage round Shiel's wonderfully strange mind. Well worth tracking down, but don't expect to understand any of it.

Tony G.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
If we're including audiovisual works, there's also:

Tony Shiels (Tony Shiels) 1988 - Martin Breese Magicassettes

This, like the It's Alive! video, is an interesting introduction to the personage of Tony "Doc" Shiels, rather than a source of workable material, though there are certainly some good ideas to be had.

... Doug
Codex Reader
View Profile
New user
TX
69 Posts

Profile of Codex Reader
I was able to have Doc autograph his Cantrip Codex at the 1989 or 90 Invocation convention where he attended as the Main Guest. He was a real character and has written some great works. He told us how he helped create the Lock Ness Monster Legend; complete with a slide show of his devious plans that fooled the world.

Get the The Shiels Effect first.
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
698 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
The Shiels Effect was mind-altering for me. I never knew...

And I never knew who the hot chick in the pictures was... Thanks Doug
Uriah Fuller
View Profile
New user
SuperMind
59 Posts

Profile of Uriah Fuller
An update on Tony Shiels' "Sky Clad" daughter Cait Sidh. She's now a "respectable" (not that she wasn't before) 42 year old married mother of 7 children (twins Nina and Sam, Kevin, Amy, Donal, Ciara and Finabrr, who range in age from six to 20 - married name: Kate Donnelly - husbands name: Kevin).

There is an archived story from 2002 in "The Kingdom" that gives more details (including current photo) and is about how Kate was an A student with 7 children. You can read it here: http://archives.tcm.ie/thekingdom/2002/08/22/story193.asp

Uriah

PS: "The Shiels Effect" is a great book. If you can get your hands on a rare copy of this book do it (it was a special bonus insert to the original "Invocation"). Read it cover to cover and then read it again. Incredible advice on how to present yourself more realistically, how to frame performances, how to make sure your routines and effects have impact. Plus Shiels also includes many ideas that can be fleshed out to be mental stunners!

His "Entertaining With ESP" book can be found in the US through Wilshire Books (www.mpowers.com) and runs about $2-$4. It was written for the "lay" audience but it has a lot of mentalism "secrets" within it (such as the add-a-number switch pad). There's some good stuff in there that you can tweak and use. Copies sometimes also show up on ebay.
What confessions can you make when your Supermind stands awake - UF
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
I'm delighted to let you know that The Shiels Effect is now available along with a bonus DVD, An Evening With Doc Shiels. You can check it out at http://www.TheShielsEffect.com or click on the ad at the top of the Penny For Your Thoughts section.
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
The book is great and when you sit down with a pint in hand and watch the DVD you will be transported to the lecture itself with Doc telling you stories that will delight as well as entertain.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
mackmania
View Profile
Regular user
Orange County
137 Posts

Profile of mackmania
I unfortunately am too young to purchase the book. Can you tell me what can be so terrible in a Mentalism book? It sounds like a great manuscript, but I discovered the 18 or older disclaimer at the end.

Cheers,
mackmania
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice." ---Joseph "the Amazing" Dunninger
Sensio
View Profile
Special user
I promise I won't exceed
641 Posts

Profile of Sensio
Hi,

I received the set "Shiels effect" book and "An Evening with Doc Shiels" DVD.
I don't consider myself capable of full reviewing the whole set, but I would like to give you my impressions:

1. The book has a lot of stuff that will help someone find ideas on how to promote himself as a superstar in the area of mentalism.

2. It doesn't explain exactly how to do it but it makes you feel different and confident to take such a journey. The book also has detailed bibliography regarding some routines that may fit a number of different personaes someone may like to promote. All of the discussed personaes, however, fall into the bizarre and mentalism categories only.

3. The book discusses some issues regarding the causes behind the publicity that Uri Geller won but, in my opinion, the discussion is somewhat incomplete.

4. There is some very indirect discussion regarding the David Blaine story. In particular, there is no actual discussion at all on his story but an editor's note saying that David Blaine has, in some extent, followed some guidelines discussed in Chapter 2 of the book. Given the advert of the book that implied that there is a specific coverage on David Blaine's rise, I would say that there is a big dissapointment when you actually find nothing on his story but a simple statement that "Blaine followed more or less the same guidelines" which to me isn't that true after all. I still haven't got any clear and thorough understanding why and how Blaine emerged as a superstar and if you find such an answer in the book, please advice me accordingly.

5. The book also gives you the feeling of how Doc Shiels behaves and thinks which is interesting enough and enlightening.

6. The DVD that accompanies the book is nothing special in terms of content but it surely makes more vivid some principles discussed in the book. Also, it is a video of Doc Shiels, that most of us would like to have a drink with - this is actually what I felt after watching the DVD.

All in all, the above is my personal view and please consider it as my personal view only. I am happy with my purchase but I feel very dissapointed about the promise behind the DB success story (DB may not be a mentalist but is a success story that someone may learn great things on how to increase the impact of his performance)

rgds,
aware
Shadowrunner
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Shadowrunner
Wow, I am gonna put this on my wish list for xmas day as an alternative to 'only fools and horses' repeats. Reminds me of the first time I watched an Andy Nyman lecture with a beer - chuckled most of the way through.
100ch
View Profile
New user
Sheffield UK
43 Posts

Profile of 100ch
Quote:
On 2002-09-27 14:01, Gardinski wrote:
You might also like to know that there is a Tony Shiels video entitled "It's Alive!!!", which is bizarre in every sense of the word. (I picked mine up from Russell Hall in the UK, an associate of Martin Breese's, so it might be worth contacting Martin if you're interested.)

Unlike most of the videos available by magical performers, it's debatable whether you will learn anything whatsoever by studying Doc's tape, but it's probably the funniest and strangest thing I've ever seen. He spends a lot of time walking around bits of rural Ireland pointing at trees and bushes and saying "GREEEEEEN!" in his inimitable brogue.

And there's a nice bit with a wobbly rock, and some interesting photographs of sea monsters. It's not so much a lecture tape, more a voyage round Shiel's wonderfully strange mind. Well worth tracking down, but don't expect to understand any of it.

Tony G.

russell hall has quite a few things on doc. I bought bizaare from him as his store is my local store. he is also in contact with doc I believe, it would be nice for him to come over the irish sea and visit us
PAN
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of PAN
Quick question - in the Shiels Effect, he mentions the effects The Yogi's Gaze, Hypno Heat, and Think Ink. I know basically what Yogi's Gaze is, and know a fair amount about Hypno Heat, but does anyone know anything about Think Ink? What the effect is, where it might be documented or available?

Many Thanks,

James
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
James,

It's a chemical thing. It can be found in this book:

http://www.fireworksnews.com/chemmagic.htm

As with all chemical magic, you're on your own with this one. I take no responsibility for any success, failure, or any other result you achieve. Think Ink is fairly innocuous but still. . .
What would Wavy do?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Shiels Effect (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL