The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » I hate wobbling in cups! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Burrich
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of Burrich
Hey. I have a set of bosco copper cups. They wobble quite a bit and when I stack them a lot of the time they don't actually stack straight.

Does anyone else have this problem with the bosco cups or any other cup?

(Woooo 100 posts)
swatchel-omi
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of swatchel-omi
My Bosco's wobble a bit, and I know that the Cellini Cups wobble. I don't think it's a big deal. And if you do the Charlie Miller move, the wobble adds some motion to the ball, and creates the illusion that the ball just penetrated the cup.

Another comment on the Bosco's. Make sure your table doesn't wobble as well. The cups are so tall and the tops (bottoms) are so small, that any table wobble will knock the balls off the the tops of the cups and send them rolling, (usually underneath something inconvenient.)

Joe
Burrich
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of Burrich
Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. It''s weird the boscos wobble a lot and my cheap uday aluminium cups don't. They wobble the tiniest bit to allow for free movement of the cups when taking them out of a stack but other than that, much less wobble than the boscos.

I'm considering getting the bazar de magia copper cups. The bosco cups although nice just weren't a good buy for me. They are just too big.

Do the bazar cups stack almost perfectly straight all the time?
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I think it has to do with the basic design of the cups. The Boscos and Cellinis have tapered sides, leaving nothing for the upper cup to brace itself against when stacked. The Bazar, Morrissey, Uday, and other more straight sided cups don't seem to have that sort of problem.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Burrich
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of Burrich
Ah yes thanks Dave. I can't believe I didn't think of that. Thanks very much. I think then that I'll be extremely happy with the Bazar copper cups. BTW will it be possible to do a three ball display on top of the bazar cups? The balls are 7/8 inch, white monkey fist balls that I made myself. (Yes I like to bragg lol.... though being a 16 year old I think that may be a bit sad. You'd think I'd have more to do with my time)
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
I have the Boscos and they wobble a bit but it really doesn't matter in my routine as I never stack them.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Burrich
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of Burrich
Wow you NEVER stack the cups?!? I can't think of enough bits to piece together a full routine without stacking the cups.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2005-03-07 16:08, magical_steve wrote:
Ah yes thanks Dave. I can't believe I didn't think of that. Thanks very much. I think then that I'll be extremely happy with the Bazar copper cups. BTW will it be possible to do a three ball display on top of the bazar cups? The balls are 7/8 inch, white monkey fist balls that I made myself. (Yes I like to bragg lol.... though being a 16 year old I think that may be a bit sad. You'd think I'd have more to do with my time)

It's not that sad... I'm almost 50 and have a jar full of monkey fist balls in various sizes that I've made.

I don't have the Bazar de Magia cups so I can't tell you what will fit, but I'm sure someone here knows.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Burrich
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of Burrich
Thanks Dave. I think it'll take a while to get a full jar. That's fine someone else will have to know. I'm just very particular to that sequence. It's my favourite one.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2005-03-07 16:10, magical_steve wrote:
Wow you NEVER stack the cups?!? I can't think of enough bits to piece together a full routine without stacking the cups.

I don't stack the cups either. Well, I do one time but I don't do a three ball display on top of the cups. I just have one ball penetrate through to the bottom. If I did all three balls, I'd still have them go through all the cups instead of balancing on the tops. Cellini and others have a nice display move where they pass the ball through one cup at a time, penetrating from the top to the second, then to the first, and finally onto the table.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2005-03-07 16:10, magical_steve wrote:

OK I stack the cups twice. One two stack for the only penetration in my routine and one three stack for a three ball assembly reveal but I never let go of the stack in that one so the wobble makes no difference.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
I use the Boscos and the only time I stack is when I am penetrating the cup to end up with three on the bottom. I like my Boscos, because of the size.
Chris
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
Consider yourself lucky. I dropped on of my cups on the ground on accident. Now a cups cant even fit into it. Yikes! No, the cups aren't "fragile" they are just made out of tinfoil. Of course I paid $10 'em... I figure that I will use these pieces of Sh** for a while, save up, and get myself a nice set. I think you should do that.

Try not to stack them for a long period of time. Stack, and bam! show that the ball has travelled or... That is what I try and do.

IMHO
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
As a public service, I'd be happy to adopt anybody's wobbling cups. I don't mind in the least, and I want to be Bill Palmer when I grow up.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Penguin cups, Paul Fox and Sherwoods don't wobble. Buy the best you can afford. Kirk
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
If you hate wobbling in cups, don't get into cups that wobble. Or, at least, take some Dramamine thirty minutes beforehand.

;)
steve j
View Profile
Special user
Long Island, New York
559 Posts

Profile of steve j
The first and only set of cups and balls that I have recieved was a set of the johnson cups as a christmas thing, it was a family thing, I love them.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2005-03-07 18:06, KirkG wrote:
Penguin cups, Paul Fox and Sherwoods don't wobble. Buy the best you can afford. Kirk

Actually the Penguin cups do wobble. At least some sets do I am sure with Brett Sherwoods that is not a problem. But yes the Magic Makers A.K.A. penguin cups do wobble. You may have a set that don't. There are sets out there that do.
geemack
View Profile
Loyal user
Greg McNeil Peoria,Illinois
296 Posts

Profile of geemack
The precision CNC machined Johnsons, Gary Animal's thick spun cups, and even the impeccably spun Sherwoods and RNT Montis will wobble just a bit when stacked. A certain amount of looseness is required for smooth handling. The squatty designs with curved sides probably have a lower center of gravity than taller, straight sided cups. This might reduce the tendency to wobble. And as Dave mentioned, the "flower pot" style cups with straight sides can allow a bit more wobble just because of the design.

Kirk's advice is good. "Buy the best you can afford."

Greg
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I have over 100 sets of cups in my collection. EVERY SET has some wobble in it. Some have more wobble than others. You have to have it. If you don't the cups will stick and will not work smoothly.

The first set of Paul Fox mini cups that Mike Brazill made had almost no wobble at all in them. They jammed. So he had to loosen them up a bit.

I have seen sets of MM/Penguin Cups that were very stable. I have seen sets that were very sloppy. There is so much variability in those cups that trying to find a common ground for reference is amusing. Sometimes it is even frustrating.

If you obsess over the wobble in your cups, you will not be able to perform.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » I hate wobbling in cups! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL