The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Best Change Bag--Let's try here! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
I am interested in which change bag you believe to be the best
available. I tried this on another topic and heard nothing--hopefully
I'll have more luck here.

Thanks--

Flimnar
"This one goes to eleven..." Nigel Tufnel
Scott Horn
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
417 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
Ill bite... You may be asking about the "type" of bag, or you may be asking about the manufacturer (quality) of the bag. I'm going with "type"

I've seen (basically) 4 kinds of change bags
1 Bags that look like a bag, 2 panels closed on 3 sides.
2 Bags on a handle. I understand the application, (one handed control) but I cant get over the look of it... no such thing exists in the real world (that I know of)
3 Gag bags in which the bag itself changes in additon to providing "multiple" pockets
4 Themed bags, bags that are disguised (e.g. santa hat, christmas stocking, etc)

Some of the above may have a zippered side to enhance the display of being "empty"

I'm not a change bag expert, don't even use one, but I would think that the type of bag would be driven by the routine.

As to quality, I know Duane Laughlin sells a variery of change bags and is a quality guy who handles quality products.
Steve Dela
View Profile
Special user
U.K. London
961 Posts

Profile of Steve Dela
I will 2nd the laflin change bag...
the one with the spring top.
http://www.laflinmagic.com

In Magic
Steve Dela
http://stevedela.com
Associate Member of the Inner Magic Circle
FFFF
scottasf
View Profile
Regular user
san leandro, ca
157 Posts

Profile of scottasf
The wooden handled change bag was fashoned after the church collection bag of past history.

Personally I like the Ickle Pickle one
2008/2009 President Oakland Magic Circle

"Life would be so wonderful if we only knew what to do with it." - Greta Garbo
Scott Horn
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
417 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
Scottasf,

Thanks for the history lesson. That actually stirrs some story line plots !!!
mike paris
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of mike paris
I remember many years ago a demo of a change (egg) bag that was turned inside out that changed to many different colours (possibly 7) ending in tartan,not sure if this was a commercially bought or home made,nice effect though,mike
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2005-03-19 10:34, mike paris wrote:
I remember many years ago a demo of a change (egg) bag that was turned inside out that changed to many different colours (possibly 7) ending in tartan,not sure if this was a commercially bought or home made,nice effect though,mike

Sounds like a Gag Bag. I use one in my show and get a great response to it.

I like the bags made by Pauline Tong. I've used their Gag Bag (which is really deceptive because of the black border), Tarbell Egg Bag (excellent!) and the rip-gone bag.

For use with large silks, I'd just use a Switch-A-Roo Bag - the one with the spring loaded top.
michaelrice
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
257 Posts

Profile of michaelrice
I want to add a change bag to my repertoire. I will be using it for David Ginn's Snake can routine. I have two options a Plain change bag or a Zipper change bag.
Which do you think would be better or recommend?

Mike ~
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
I have a Christmas stocking change bag that I use for kids in December. The Gag Bag is a very good prop for kids or comedy. On the issue as a whole, I like the most simple, unassuming bag you can find. Just a plain cloth bag that looks like an egg bag works for me. All the handles and such only seem suspicious to me. Its just a bag. Find a half way credible reason for having things in a bag, and you are on your way. Duane Laflin does have change bags and some other great utility props in his shop.

-Ed
"The re-souling of magic should be the goal of the twenty first century magician"
-S.H. Sharpe
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
The "best" change bag was the comedy cahnge bag by P&L. P&A silks by Peter White makes a duplicate of the P&L comedy cahnge bag but in larger size for around $250.00.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
The P&A change bag and the old P&L change bag were fashioned very closely after the some of the German "glinglesack" offering bags on a short or sometimes long handle. The Ickle Pickle bag is a one handed comic version of such a thing but really looks nothing like the "glinglesack."

I, personally own a P&A bag, three or four sizes of Ickle Pickle Bags, a Guy Bavli version which is made with netting but is poorly executed and has cut me a couple of times.

The Laflin bag is similar one a series of bags once carried by Al Cohen (Al's Magic, Washington D.C.) and which I think he refered to as Irish change bags. Al had small ones that could be handled in one hand between your thumb and third finger depending on hand size. These could be quite effective.

What's best depends on your situation and performance style. I would not use an Ickle Pickle bag in any serious style since they have a clown feel to them. Other the other hand a "glinglesack" which looks very appropriate for Euangelion the monk would look very strange and pretentious in another setting.
Bill Esborn

"Lutefisk: the piece of cod that passes all understanding."
Jailhouse Jonny
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Jailhouse Jonny
Wondering if any has had a change/force bag made from the purple velvet-like bag you get with Crown Royal? Seems to me that make it look a lot more ordinary than your average bag on a stick. Perhaps I'll have to see if they'll do a custom order at Fabric Manipulations.
dark kard
View Profile
Regular user
Providence, RI
142 Posts

Profile of dark kard
I have one from tannens. It's read and on a handle also has a zipper to show it empty very nice controls easy and looks nice to.
"flying is easy all you have to do is miss the ground" Douglas Adams
<BR>dark kard
dark kard
View Profile
Regular user
Providence, RI
142 Posts

Profile of dark kard
I have one from tannens. It's read and on a handle also has a zipper to show it empty very nice controls easy and looks nice to.
"flying is easy all you have to do is miss the ground" Douglas Adams
<BR>dark kard
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
Are there any change bags out there that look like something more normal and contemporary? I'm not even sure what I mean...maybe a tote? A paper bag or some kind of messenger bag?

-Daniel
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Ickle Pickle makes one called a Tote Bag. I have it too. It is on the small side and it has a drawstring at the top. It's made out of the same materials as my Ickle Pickle Zippered Change Bag.

Regan
Mister Mystery
ChristianR
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of ChristianR
I like my Ickle Pickle Change bag. To bad we've arrived at the days of plastic bags, hey! That could be a challenge! Make a clear plastic change bag! Idea®©™. Haha!
Tarbell!
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Clear plastic change bags have existed for decades (they're actually for** bags).
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Larry is right. Clear, plastic ones have been around for a while. In fact, I made one recently.

Regan
Mister Mystery
gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
Jailhouse Jonny and DanielCoyne:

Take a look at the Ickle Pickle Change Bag that Regan and ChristianR both mentioned. It is called the Ickle Pickle Tote Change Bag. Here is some more information about it:

Tote Change Bag
These flat, velvety change bags are perfect for small items. We use ours for the MisMade Thank You (available on the silks page), but it's perfect for many silk changes or vanishes. Mini Tote is approx. 6" tall x 5" wide; Deluxe Tote is approx. 10" x 8" wide. Assorted colors, by Ickle Pickle.

They cost $10.00 for the Mini Tote Change Bag and $16.00 for the Deluxe Tote Change Bag. These prices are 2006 prices.
"Confusion is not magic."
Dai Vernon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Best Change Bag--Let's try here! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL