The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Jim Sommer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
mysticalmike
View Profile
Special user
Saratoga Springs, NY
509 Posts

Profile of mysticalmike
Anyone tell me anything about his illusion. I just thinking about buy some but want your opinion. is his stuff worth buying.
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
If you mean "Jim Sommers" the general concensus of the "Politically Motivated" magic community is to stay away from him.

Long ago Jim got caught up in a controversey surrounding the Zig Zag Lady and he's never fully recovered from it. Nonetheless, he is a genius in his own right and builds ok quality equipment (depending on his mood that day and how bad he needs the cash.) Then there's those tales of people that ordered something that they needed in three months time and didn't see it for a year or better.

If you can sit down and talk his leg off, Jim's a great guy and can teach you a heck of a lot. If you are looking for ideas in how to build "Portable" illusions, Jim is once again, a master-mind at solving such puzzles (He packs a two-hour illusion show in a two-door sedan on a regular basis... watching him pack and unpack is more mesmerizing than his shows!)

I know, I've probably confused you a bit but then Jim can be confusing... He builds a great (very practical) Asrah form that's a bit unique to other "folding" forms (I used one for years!), has a dynamite Thin Model Sawing system (ask him about the Kirkham cabinet he helped build... it's unlike anything you've probably ever seen in the past and is very practical in several ways the others aren't!)and I happen to love his round "Parrot" cage vanish, which is very clever in its own right.

Well, best of luck!
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
I have purchased two illusions from Klamm/Sommers (one of them is on my avatar). Osiris is right, if portability is an issue, Mr Sommers is a great choice. He is great at making things that break down for transportation and that are relatively light.

The drawback to this is that the illusions usually wear out faster since the material is lighter.

If you are a busy touring professional you may want to pay the extra and get more road worthy illusions. If you are a one man weekend warrior like me, his illusions are a great fit.

Mike
mysticalmike
View Profile
Special user
Saratoga Springs, NY
509 Posts

Profile of mysticalmike
Mr. Deslauriers,
That levitation and doll house you use is that from Sommers. If so how do you like it? See I just a weekender and don't have a lot of money for right now.I mean if I can get a couple of years or a year or something out of them that great. then I would have enought money to get some better stuff. Plus I can pass it done to my kids to use to you know. Thank both of you. You have been a great help.

Mike
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Well I have a Chair Suspension from klamm/sommeres and it has lasted for almost seven years and it is still in great shape!

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
The walk-away X is pretty good for the price ($400). The downside is a little bit of wobble and movement as the assistant gets on or off the board. Add a Blaney hoop and it is a pretty good suspension to use with a smaller assistant. I have been using it for 5 years. It breaksdown for easy transportation.

The doll house is also from Sommers and I love it. I have had it for 3 years and its still in great shape.It is very reasonably priced at $1200 and the whole thing breaksdown and folds flat. I put the case (with a bunch of other stuff) in the trunk of my car.

My assistant for both illusions is my 10 year old daughter so she is pretty small and light which helps. The doll house could probably handle an assistant around 5'2".

I only perform my stage show about 8 times a year and everything has to fit in my car. These illusions have been great for me. Now if only I could get my daughter to stop growing Smile
mysticalmike
View Profile
Special user
Saratoga Springs, NY
509 Posts

Profile of mysticalmike
Great thank a lot Mike. That helps me out alot. I am glad some can tell me something good about his stuf.
Mike
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Hi Mike .. let me tell you a little about Jimmy. He's a brilliant builder ... some of his work amazes me. Keep in mind you get what you pay for .. but he really does nice work for the money .. and everything folds into a suitcase .. well not really .. but you get the idea.

One of his best illusions is the Lightbulbs Thru Girl. It's flashy, practical and priced right for a begining illusionist. Jims a great guy ... he'll be glad to help you out.

Steve
Magic Monkichi
View Profile
Elite user
Ontario, Canada
401 Posts

Profile of Magic Monkichi
I have yet to order anything from Jim prop wise. But when I called and requested cataglogue. His service is great, he's very personable and accomadating to your needs and will answer any question you could have.

Magically yours,

Matt Kielbiski
Quick Change Artist
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
I recommend Jim.

He's an old fashioned minded illusion builder.

He has a great shop and great ideas.

I don't say so cuz he lives 20 mins from us and
we visit him.

I say cuz its true.

He's been a long family friend for many years.

He's also funny funny too.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Lothar
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Lothar
He is going to fix my zig zag this weekend. (My builder went bankrupt and just gave me what he had finished. ) It's just missing the rollers and needs holes cut out. He did a great job of trimming down my mismade cabinet blades.
Wes
mysticalmike
View Profile
Special user
Saratoga Springs, NY
509 Posts

Profile of mysticalmike
Thanks everyone I have decied to buy stuff from him know that I know. thanks all.
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
Quote:
On 2005-03-09 13:50, mysticalmike wrote:
Thanks everyone I have decied to buy stuff from him know that I know. thanks all.

Let us know what you buy and give us a review.

Mike
mysticalmike
View Profile
Special user
Saratoga Springs, NY
509 Posts

Profile of mysticalmike
Well I have decied not to get it from him. I found out a friend would build me my illusion. so that where I am headed. then at least I know what I am getting thanks you all for your help.
mike
gulamerian
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of gulamerian
I have two of Jims illusions and I have been using them for years. They have sereved me well.
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
Quote:
On 2005-03-12 12:58, gulamerian wrote:
I have two of Jims illusions and I have been using them for years. They have sereved me well.

What do you have?
gulamerian
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of gulamerian
Mike, I have Light Fantastic and a Fire Cage.
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
MysticalMike, I hope your friend has had experience building illusions. Otherwise, it may be an expensive endeavor in something that never quite works right.

For example, my sub-trunk lid warped one time. This was especially troubling, because it was a top-loader. I went to a friend who owned a professional cabinet and woodworking shop and asked him if he could build a new lid. No problem. Easy.

When I picked the lid up, I was informed that this lid had originally been built a bit "off center" and the cabinet shop had "fixed" the problem. OMG! Imagine my grief when there was not enough clearance to -uh- metamorphosize with this lid perfectly centered. Am I being cryptic enough here?

I had shows coming up the next morning and had to work with the cabinet guy half the night to get this built correctly. If you have ever built a magic trick yourself, you will understand that the smallest variation means the difference between magic and mayhem. I suggest you make a prototype first.
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
mysticalmike
View Profile
Special user
Saratoga Springs, NY
509 Posts

Profile of mysticalmike
He has for along time. he does awsome work. he has some of his own ideas going out with his stuff to. thank you for the warning
mike
magicfest
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of magicfest
How do I contact JIm Sommers, does he have a website ?
How is his imaplement
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Jim Sommer (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL