The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » New FLIP Dvds Review Requested (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3865 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I noticed that L& L Publishing has released a a 6 DVD set by Flip consisting of numerous close-up, rope, and parlour magic. The variety of effects seem interesting. I would appreciate comments and reviews by those who have seen Flip perform and by those who have watched these Dvds.

Thank you very much.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
SniperX
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of SniperX
I think its to early to get a review because it just came out, even if someone bought the series it will take some time before they receive it.
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2220 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
His rope dvd is very good if that is any indication.
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5826 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
I was at the shoot and I remember thinking how unbelievably clever Flip's thinking is.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I haven't seen the DVDs but I've seen Flip lecture twice and think he's great. His rope stretching bit fooled the you know what out of me.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22827 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
This is the 1st time Flip has released his material. I only seen him on television back in 1974 or so. His act was a duplication act. Hats multiply to two and such. He lectured around that time in the USA. I did not get a chance to see him.

His Flip stick is fantastic. I have seen Paul Gertner's routine that is fantastic and Tim Star did some fantastic flip moves at a convention with a Fantasio Candle for me.

Being this has only been released in a picture lecture notes previously. It is great that the whole magic community can finally learn the real secrets of this wonderful sleight of hand magic. Vol. 4 has his Flip stick explaination. The complete set is $185 and $#$95 each vol.

Get the material if you can. That is if you like sleight of hand and sleeving. Many hours of practice is also required.
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1431 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
Based only on the the video demo of Flip's Cut & Restored Rope from Volume 5 on LLPUB website , I am not really convinced of my interest in this series of 6 DVDs .I have to hear more about this one...

And why so many DVDs ????

Too many again from my point of view.

QUANTITY over QUALITY ...that is the question !!!
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2005-03-10 03:24, wmhegbli wrote:
This is the 1st time Flip has released his material. I only seen him on television back in 1974 or so. His act was a duplication act. Hats multiply to two and such. He lectured around that time in the USA. I did not get a chance to see him.

His Flip stick is fantastic. I have seen Paul Gertner's routine that is fantastic and Tim Star did some fantastic flip moves at a convention with a Fantasio Candle for me.

Being this has only been released in a picture lecture notes previously. It is great that the whole magic community can finally learn the real secrets of this wonderful sleight of hand magic. Vol. 4 has his Flip stick explaination. The complete set is $185 and $#$95 each vol.

Get the material if you can. That is if you like sleight of hand and sleeving. Many hours of practice is also required.

This is not the first time Flip has done a video. Back in the 1980's he did a video for Videonics. I believe a year or so ago L&L released those tapes as well. This is the first time Flip has released this much of his material on video tho.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Yes, Flips work has been released earlier as stated, by Hans Zahn/Videonics.

Actually I have a copy of all he released there and everything simply is just great.
Flip is a genius and a great performer.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy anything he does release unseen!
No matter what strange remarks he makes, his handling and magic is tops!
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
exohordon
View Profile
Regular user
162 Posts

Profile of exohordon
Are there a lot of effects that require sleeving?
Cos I dun usually wear a jacket.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Sleeving?
I don't recall Flip ever did use sleeving!
Wear a jacket once in a while anyhow..it's normally not summer all the year Smile
Apart from this you could then use a Topit and do real magic Smile
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3865 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Thank you very much for everyones comments. They were very helpful.

I see that Flip explains his "flip stick" move and demonstrates several effects utitilzing this move in an entire single DVD.

Is this "flip stick" move worthy of an entire DVD? Is this move alone "worth the price of the DVD/DVD set? is this move a practical, real world utility move that is versatil and can be done relatively clos-up or is it strictly a stage utility move?

Thank you again for your comments.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22827 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Flip stick is worth the price of the DVD if you learn and use it. If you are not willing to put in the time and practice and create a routine. Then it is not. As stated earlier, Paul Guertner opens his close-up lecture with a filp stick wand routine. He has never released this routine. He combines patter with actions. It is a entertaining routine.

This is all slight of hand on par with the jumbo Flurious coin routine. Basically the routine is a visual vanish, show both hands empty, then reproduce the item. All with no gimmick or hidden device, nothing but sleight of hand and timing.

I have not seen many routines except Guertner and Star, both can do it impromptu, close-up, like 3 feet away, not one foot as they they will be in the way of you moves. across a table is fine. Angles yes, but the misdirections and your routine will cover most. It is a very fast routine. Maybe only a minute or so.
stevenamills
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of stevenamills
Do these actually exist yet?
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3865 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Quote:
On 2005-03-14 16:19, wmhegbli wrote:
Flip stick is worth the price of the DVD if you learn and use it.

Thank you for your commetns and help. You are so correct to say that the value of this DVD, or any other DVD or book or effect, is based upon whether the effect or move is practiced and used. Based upon your detailed comments and professional opinions, which I respect, I will purchase this DVD set, and hopefully I will be able to give the material presented in these DVDs the amount of practice and dedication they deserve.

Best regards,

Michael
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

Profile of Richard Shippy
Some of my favorite magic DVDs are Dean Dill's 2 DVD set, Tommy Wonder's 3 DVD set, and Bill Malone's 4 DVD set. ALL of these sets are AWESOME and PACKED with EXCELLENT routines!!! Tommy Wonder put together such an incredible set of magical routines on only 3 DVDs! Dean Dill did as well with 2 DVDs which are packed with very usable material (Extreme Dean volumes 1 and 2).

I am curous as to why Flip has sooooooo many DVDs??? Profit or does he have soooo much good material? I thought it was suppose to be the "Best" of Flip. If so, wouldn't it be possible to produce a 2 or 3 volume set? Which of Flip's 6 DVDs is best? How many effects on each DVD are real strong workers?

Thank you,
Rich
"They say that nobody is perfect. Then they tell you practice makes perfect. I wish they'd make up their minds." ~ Winston Churchill
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

Mike Close's his 4 volume DVD set from the "Very Close" workers series is JAM PACKED with good routines. There are soooooo many great routines on Mike's DVDs that it is hard to select which trick to learn first. In fact, it is hard to find a bad trick in the bunch.

If Flip's DVDs contains the same quality as the other DVDs mentioned then that would be fantastic. However, I have a feeling L&L is going for quantity.
"They say that nobody is perfect. Then they tell you practice makes perfect. I wish they'd make up their minds." ~ Winston Churchill
learachel
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of learachel
Flip is a genius, like Tommy wonders

Simon
Belgium
Julian Kestrel
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of Julian Kestrel
Flip was a legend when Tommy Wonder and others were still playing with their first magic sets.

Julian Kestrel
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

Hey, has anyone viewed Flip's DVDs yet? If so, please provide a review.

Thank you,
Rich

P.S.
Tommy Wonder and Paul Harris are AWESOME!!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » New FLIP Dvds Review Requested (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL