The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » New FLIP Dvds Review Requested (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1691 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Another vote for Flip.Tommy Wonder credits one of his 'Tamed card' moves as being
a move of Flips.I THINK there both from Holland.
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
When wondering about quantity over quality with L & L releases - remember that Michael Close's video set was originally 7 volumes. How much filler was in those babies?
I don't think there was any.
Let's reserve judgment until someone can actually give a review. I was also at the shoot and thought Flip was wonderful.

Kaylan
stevenamills
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of stevenamills
Has ANYBODY actually seen the physical DVDs yet?
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
My definition of filler is different from yours. I think filler is material that is weak or not commercial, and does not seem to be usable by most. Although I may not use every single Close effect from the videos, I think that most of the effects are very commercial.
:)
Re: the Flip DVDs, I should be getting them pretty soon and I will post after I watch them.

Kaylan
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Kaylan, that's a good point. Something that I think is filler, someone like Cody Fisher could perform a miracle with.

Close had a lot of filler on his. Not everything was strong.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
JeremiahZuo
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of JeremiahZuo
Close filler? I don't think so. Filler is garbage material put in just to "fill space" hence filler. Close did not put any routines in the Workers series to bloat them out. Everything was material he actually PERFORMED.

Now me? I don't use one single thing from Workers! But I understand what is filler and what is not filler, I understand what is good material, I just don't use his stuff.

Whether or not you use it does not make it filler. Whether or not you find it strong still does not make it filler.
Joshua 24:15
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

Profile of Richard Shippy
I would also like to kindly say that NONE of the Close material is filler! All his effects are "real world" tested through many performances and each routine stands on it's own. I own the 7 volume "Very Close" VHS set and consider these as some of my best performance videos. I have learned soooo much from Michael Close's material and it challenged me to unleash my creative spirit, rethink the handling of my own effects, and focus more on solid presentation. I use several of his routines and they get an excellent reaction from spectators. This should probably be the subject within a different post but what effects from Michael Close do you consider as fillers? Yes, some routines are weaker than others but each effect is worked out very well and he provides useful insights into the thoughts behind constructing the routines.

Kind regards,
Rich

P.S.
I am excited to hear about Flip's DVDs. Smile
"They say that nobody is perfect. Then they tell you practice makes perfect. I wish they'd make up their minds." ~ Winston Churchill
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

Has anyone viewed these DVDs yet???
"They say that nobody is perfect. Then they tell you practice makes perfect. I wish they'd make up their minds." ~ Winston Churchill
petersd
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of petersd
Somebody has had to receive these by now!!! L&L states that they are in stock and ready to ship. Curious as to why no comments have been posted as of yet unless they were just released.

Dave
petersd
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of petersd
Anybody have any comments on these? Since I have not seen any posts it makes me wonder that something is wrong with these or nobody is buying them.

Dave
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

I am tempted to buy one of these videos just for curiosity sake but it is really strange to see no review yet.

Rich
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I just received the complete set. It will take some time to watch and digest all of the material presented. I suspect that is the reason there are no reviews posted yet.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
petersd
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of petersd
Michael,

Usually reviews come out so quickly and this was released eons ago. A few weeks in the magic commnunity is like dog years. Looking forward to your take when you get a chance.

Dave
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

Yes, I look forward to your review! Smile

Thank you,
Rich
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I will try to write a review by next week.

Best regards,

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
okito25
View Profile
Regular user
Victoria BC Canada
145 Posts

Profile of okito25
I have purchased all six .. dvds .. they are as good as any I own .. Flips stuff is real world .. non pricey props ( everything under a buck or so it seems ).. awsome instructions on blocking as a lot of the material deals with that , all the effects he shows are all very workable , and fairly easy to comprehend ,instructions are thorough, leaving no stone unturned , I find that with most everything he does it is indeed his and original , and a lot of it is indeed forty plus years in the making , I am pleased with all six DVDs , and enjoy learning everything even though I may only get my head wrapped around , two thirds . there is a ton of very solid impromptue close up that can be done anytime anywhere , HEY TOM CUTTS ... Whats a MOTH Wrangler Smile
Cheers
Keet
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
I was at the Fl!p shoot and was called upon to ply my talents as a Moth Wrangler. One who heards up moths (who are following the lights) and sends them outdoors. At the height of my wragling days in college I chased a moth around my dorm room in the middle of the night with a spritzer of Dragon's Breath trying to capture an ornery moth that was keeping me awake. Scared the &@%# out of my roomate who was asleep when the first burst of flame was fired. Smile

Just one of many talents. Smile

Cheers,

Tom
okito25
View Profile
Regular user
Victoria BC Canada
145 Posts

Profile of okito25
I Just had to know .. in case you didn't know yet you are credited On the DVDS as the moth wrangler Smile ,.. you could have a future in this .. Moth wrangler to the Stars , you must of had a great time .. I met Flip quite a few years ago at a convention ... he was a great fellow to chat with, studio audience on the DVDs really seemed to be having a great time , I would love to get down to L&L for a shoot sometime
cheers
Keet
pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
540 Posts

Profile of pierredan
I think it is fair to conclude that okito25 is the only member on the Café who owns these DVDs.

I don't think L&L will be getting an order from me for this 6 DVD set. I mean, Paul Harris will be releasing 10 DVDs but he has three massive books out.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
I think it is fair to conclude that okito25 is the only member on the Café who owns these DVDs.

That is a grossly incorrect conclusion.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » New FLIP Dvds Review Requested (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL