The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Monkey fist balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
Quote:
On 2005-03-11 12:15, someone wrote:
My large balls have five wraps, and from recent pictures I've seen (Thanks Thomas) some people can get away with six wraps.

At first when I saw the topic name I didn't want to bother, so I give it a shot and this is what I see! LOL I'm only kiddin'

To be honest, I've never even heard of this style ball. Mr. VanVranken, your lace-around-a-marble 'fists' look very well made! How long did they take you to make?
If it is to be, it is up to me.
Burrich
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of Burrich
BTW if you use round lace even if it's hollow you get a more rounded ball. If you us flay/square lace you get a squarish ball like the one in Dave VanVranken's picture, the link of which is in a post of his higher in the topic.

However, IMHO the squarish balls turn out looking much much neater than the round ones and I would think that they roll much less that the round balls.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
Mr. VanVranken, your lace-around-a-marble 'fists' look very well made! How long did they take you to make?

Mr? I didn't know my dad was here. I'm Dave. Thank you for the kind words though. The small "monkey fist" balls took me about 15-20 minutes each. The large ones were twice that as I actually tied a second knot over the first.

The "turks head" takes me well over half an hour for each, but it should get faster as I get better at it.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
leftytheclown
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
255 Posts

Profile of leftytheclown
Where can I buy the leather that has blue and black combined or red and black combined? All I have found is regular 1/8th inch lace of one color. I too taught myself how to tie the knot and like it. I will start on the turks head knot soon.
Lefty (aka) Sterling Dare
Author: Money Menagerie
Book and DVD
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Frank, the leather balls are monkey's fists. (I used to make them for sailing in my high school days, and if I say so myself, I was right good at my Marlinspike sea<wo>manship!)
The key is to make the first two directions, THEN insert the marble or weight.
Mine were many sizes, but for on the sailboat for throwing lines, I used to make them about the size of a softball with 1/2 inch line, and a small rock for the core!
Another source for some of the fancy knots is Bruce Grant's book on Leather Braiding.
For those making these things, after you finish, roll it around a bit so the cordage settles down and the shape "shapes up".
For different colored lace, check the local leather shop. They used to sell that suede stuff in a multi color, otherwise, you can <A>get white and try dying it, though as you tighten the knot the colors will shift some <B> use multiple strands, one for each direction. More to tuck and keep track of during the finishing operation.
Kay
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Watchmaker
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of Watchmaker
First of all, people like Monkey Fists because they like to say "Monkey Fist"!

Second, they are not that hard to do at all. Well the first couple are but in no time at all you can make some nice ones. Then you can make them EXACTLY the way you want.

Mr. Palmer, if you have problems with bouncing marbles I suggest bean bags, that's what we used to use in the Navy. They make for big knots but you can get or make bean bags in almost any size. Of course, getting someone else to do it is the easiest of all, I'm just talking to people that are so inclined.

The seceret to making a good Monkey Fist is to not get ahead of yourself when tightning up the knot. Start in the center and work your way out leaving just a bit of slack. Go back a time or two to get it tight. Don't try to do it all at once.

By the way if you think heaving a Monkey Fist looks cool you should see the lines they shoot out of an M-16!
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
I played around last week making monkey paws out of those padded oval shoe laces. They came out pretty cool.
Bill Esborn

"Lutefisk: the piece of cod that passes all understanding."
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Bill sounds to me that one could lose his "marbles" making these things.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
ChristianR
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of ChristianR
I like the lace Dave uses, anyone know a animal friendly alternative that looks like those?
Tarbell!
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
I heard Dave planning an improved version using balls stuffed with feathers.

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Bill Esborn

"Lutefisk: the piece of cod that passes all understanding."
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
There is a vinyl lace sold for leatherworkers (who do not like the prices of real leather lace) and it can sometimes be found in the craft stores along with the other plastic laces (Dura Flex comes to mind) where the kids make the necklaces for camp whistles, and braided bracelets, etc. it has the cross section of the beveled lace, and is pretty tough stuff.
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Resurrecting this topic since I just got myself a set of cups (RNT Paul Fox in church bronze) and want to make up some balls for myself.

What are sources, online and available from large chains, for material to make the balls? I've gotten some practice using twisted cotton cord and am looking for something more colorful and probably braided. The twists sometimes bunch up making final tightening difficult.

I'll probably pick up some long shoe laces to try them out. I went to the local crafts shop and haven't been able to find anything of the right size. One shop had macrame cord but it was way too thick (6mm). I also tried some heavy fishing line, but it was too thin, it was hard to keep the wraps in place and flat, the results were disappointing.

Thanks a bunch.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Carlos Hampton
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of Carlos Hampton
I think I am going to give a try to this:

http://www.knottool.com/gk_kit.html
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13350 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Good luck.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Jud Bond
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Jud Bond
For those who are still interested in making monkey fists, I would recommend visiting http://stormdrane.blogspot.com/ and search for monkey fist. The owner, "Stormdrane" does incredible work with cord and paracord. There is a pretty good tutorial on monkey fists on the site.

- Jud in San Jose
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
I asked a friend who is really into fiber crafts (sewing, knitting, crocheting, etc.) and she came up with a couple of local sources and also a mail order source. I bet there are lots of places out there, but this place looks good.

http://www.satincord.com/a_cord.html
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
MOTO42
View Profile
Loyal user
Whitehouse Texas
225 Posts

Profile of MOTO42
I got tired of my balls rolling about, so I monkeyfisted some cheap dice.
That sounded dirty.

The cord I'm using is some cheap red/blue edge-trim from a local sewing shop.
"One man's miracle is another man's warm-up"
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
726 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
I just made a couple (one is a chop ball) and they look great. I used leather round lace. The round lace costs more, but looks so much better than the flat suede leather. What help me tremendously was making a rig to tie the knot. This is where I got the idea for the rig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlI-4uELW......lts_main This rig let me do it in no time! Here is the ball: http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv292......1764.jpg
Majorhavoc
View Profile
New user
Pittsburgh, PA
7 Posts

Profile of Majorhavoc
I just finished my first Monkey Fist. I used 1/8" square suede lace from Michaels (25 yards for 8.99) wrapped around a 5/8" marble core (also from Michaels, 12 ounce bag of 57 marbles for $2.79). It was a little intimidating but once I saw what was going on, it became much easier. I used about 4 feet of lace for the ball and completed the project in about 15 minutes. The finished ball measures approximately .95" in diameter and for a first try, I'm pretty happy. Admittedly, it's not perfect but improvement will come with practice.

Click here to view attached image.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3983 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Paracord is a great material to use to make monkey fist balls. You can find it in many colors and sizes. I get it at REI, but I imagine that there are many outdoor shops that carry it, and it can certainly be had online.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Monkey fist balls (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL