The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Not Quite Sure What the Subject Really is... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

fingerjack
View Profile
Special user
CT, USA
551 Posts

Profile of fingerjack
Harcore XCMers can save themselve the trouble and stop reading NOW.

So I’ve been doing what some might call XCM for several years now. Now well I never claimed to be technically great, but let’s face it, showmanship is a major factor in a good performance, and that’s something that often gets ignored in a lot of flourish material (save for TEOPCF). I see way too fans made with no pause to allow spectators to admire the beauty, cuts done so quickly with both hands that a spectator can’t follow or appreciate the complexity of them, and arm spreads done with such speed and ease that it DOES look way too easy, and therefore becomes boring.

So….um, wait. That’s not what I wanted to talk about.

This week I attended a staff retreat day for my agency and listened to the usual lectures and what not. Afterwards, many of them met in the bar in the hotel and someone asked about my card work (well ok, they asked if I could do some magic). So I did my usual opener and some flourishes; springs, fans, spinning, productions and what not. I got the usual responds which is good and the same remarks people always make, “I’d hate to play cards with you,” or “Wow, talk about a lot of time on your hands,” yada, yada, yada. I ended with a deck vanish and that was it. A dirty, extra dry vodka martini please, rocks on the side.

That’s not the point of my post either, wait, I’m getting to it.

So I take a seat with my boss (who is a good friend) and a few of the curios join us and keep pressing me about card tricks and the like. I see the poker craze has people all fired up about cards and gambling and fancy poker moves. Now, it just so happened I was wearing a jacket that I haven’t worn in a long time. In it were some stand by props I have in most of my jackets; a cigarette pull, some half dollars with a shell, a creepy little arm I use to scare little kids, and a Svengali deck. The good ‘ol Svengali.

I hadn’t used it in ages but remembered my Svengali pitch from my magic store days. I took it out for fun’s sake and did my old routine that used to sell a deck every time; card at any number, seven pile force, dead cutting, even fake seconds and spontaneous ambitious card bit.

By the time I was done, I had almost the entire bar watching, and the responds was FAR greater then that that I received from a flourish routine. People were blown away. I remembered the point I tried to make on the Svengali in an essay years ago that I myself had forgotten; the power of the Svengali can be DEVASTATING to the laymen, especially after you have established the fact you are more than proficient with the pasteboards.

I think the fact that I began with a super fancy flourishes lead them to believe that I COULD DO ANYTHING with a pack of cards. Who was going to question me? Why would they think that a guy who can balance fans on his fingers would use something like a trick deck? I passed out every business card I had and word went around the agency in a matter of days and I was approached by the training coordinator to perform at our next staff retreat day and have also recieved two calls for a personal engagements.

Was it the Svengali? Was it the flourishes? Was it me? What am I learning from walking this fine line between flourisher and magician? Can the two arts really not be utilized together, maybe like juggling and bartending?

I know there is a moral to the above story, but I’m not sure what it is. I’m still working on it. Any suggestions?

Please only the serious need apply.
MAGNAPALM - The World's first psionic magnetic implants that is changing the future of magic http://youtu.be/EDmg2bp_Cas

WASHED AND DRYED - An squeaky clean incredible full deck transformation!
http://fingerjack.wix.com/washedanddryed
4Jacks
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of 4Jacks
Goober,… The Moral of the Story is that Flourishes and Card Tricks go Together like Peanut Butter and Jelly.
fingerjack
View Profile
Special user
CT, USA
551 Posts

Profile of fingerjack
Evil man!!! Taboo!!! Taboo!!! May all your cards forever bow with a snappy crunch!!!
MAGNAPALM - The World's first psionic magnetic implants that is changing the future of magic http://youtu.be/EDmg2bp_Cas

WASHED AND DRYED - An squeaky clean incredible full deck transformation!
http://fingerjack.wix.com/washedanddryed
MnemonicaRedux
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of MnemonicaRedux
Wow, Jack... this is a perfect example of using skill to establish presence. It reminds me of when I was talking to my good friend Huron (who's birthday happens to be today) about how he got started. He told me that he used to absolutely hate card magic... until he saw Greg Wilson perform in "Card Stunts". Boy, was he totally pwnaged... after watching Greg in action, he was convinced that the man could do anything... absolutely ANYTHING.

To make a long story short... put yourself in the position of a layperson. You've just met a person who's claimed to be a magician, and you don't know exactly what to expect. But then he starts busting out this CRAZY cardboard contortions that you've never EVER seen before.. you're in a blur, the paradigm has been shifted. Right now, ANYTHING is possible... this guy is WAAAAY outta your league.

Thank god for flourishes. And XCM Smile

-Kev
Illogician
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Illogician
We can and should raise the bar of card mastery with combinations of high level XCM and high level card magic. Hmm..... high level card magic, that would be hard to categorise but I think it would be easy to identify. Just have to fit the right pieces of flourishes and effects together.

How about something like throw a deck around the earth and the selected card sticks to your forehead as you turn your head and the deck slams into you from the other side?
kxxcheng
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of kxxcheng
Quote:
On 2005-03-12 04:45, Illogician wrote:
How about something like throw a deck around the earth and the selected card sticks to your forehead as you turn your head and the deck slams into you from the other side?

Or throw a deck or two up in the air and have it land in a perfect card house, wouldn't that be neat.
Karen
liltut
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of liltut
Honest to God, if that happend, I'd **** my pants.....
4Jacks
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of 4Jacks
Quote:
On 2005-03-11 16:43, fingerjack wrote:
May all your cards forever bow with a snappy crunch!!!

They Already Do.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Sounds like someone needs a PORPER CLIP Muahhahahahahhahaha
"Illusion is the first of all pleasures."
Oscar Wilde

"If you only knew the hours I spent just thinking about practicing"
-The Amazing Jonathan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Not Quite Sure What the Subject Really is... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL