The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Killer train gig (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I have an absolutely wonderful steady strolling gig set up. There is an old-fashioned passenger train that runs from Horseshoe Bend to Banks (or sometimes Cascade) in Idaho. It's called the Thunder Mountain Line. Once per month, I ride the train, do about an hour of strolling/table-hopping in the dining car and lounge car, and I get $300, a free dinner and the chance to make new friends and get leads for private shows.

It's an absolute blast. It did take a little while to get used to performing sleight of hand while trying to keep my feet on the swaying train, but I got my "sea legs" pretty quickly, and people seem to be even more impressed that I can perform under those conditions. It's a great, profitable gig and lots of fun. If you have anything similar in your area, I highly recommend pursuing a similar gig!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Sounds wonderful!

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Bobcape
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
470 Posts

Profile of Bobcape
Great idea Scott! We have an 1880's train here in the Black Hills that is very popular in the summer. I will work on securing a spot wih them. Thanks for sharing!

Bob
Be Amazed! + Enjoy The Magic!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
We have one like that here in Rhode Island, but I didn't get the gig.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
KenW
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of KenW
Scott, thanks for the tip. Now every magician in your area will be looking for a chance to hop on board your gig! (a little too much information on where, when and how much).
JUST KIDDING! Congradulations!
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
Yeah, I here Zippy The Clown will do it for half that price.
magicsteve99
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of magicsteve99
I wouldn't want to be the guy to try to follow Scott in any venue. Good luck, Zippy!
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
Scott - Sounds like a great gig. Do you do your standard strolling repertoire, or have you adapted it specifically for that particular situation? Have fun -

Bill
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6586 Posts

Hi, Bill!

I pretty much do the same stuff I'd do in a restaurant or at a party. It's a lot of fun. People coming on the train know that I'm going to be there that day--they book that day specifically to see me do magic on their train ride. So they come ready to see magic and have fun. Best steady gig I've ever had!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
saxmangeoff
View Profile
Veteran user
Moscow, ID, USA
353 Posts

Profile of saxmangeoff
Sounds great. As a fan of magic, a fan of trains, and a resident of Idaho (Moscow) it sounds like something worth making the trek down your way to experience.

Geoff
"You must practice your material until it becomes boring, then practice it until it becomes beautiful." -- Bill Palmer
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6586 Posts

I'd be happy to have you! Just be advised that I don't do "magician's magic," I do "real people" magic, so don't expect to see advante garde moves or dazzling technique!

Just did a show on the train last night. It was a samller crowd than normal, but I got to spend more time with the folks, so everyone had a blast! And I created a new bit "on the fly" that went over HUGE, so I plan to develop it into a full, regular part of my shows. That's another benefit of steady performing.

Everyone is welcome if you are ever in southwestern Idaho. Horseshoe Bend is about 20-25 minutes from Boise. From Moscow, probably around 5 hours or so. The fee for the train ride, along with a really nice dinner on board is about $40 per person. And of course, the entertainment is included at no extra charge! If you get the chance, I'd love to meet you!
My Lybrary Page
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
How long does the ride last?
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6586 Posts

It goes for 2 to 2.5 hours. Leaves about 6:30 and gets back about 8:30 to 9:00. It's a really cool, quaint old train, the scenery is unbelievable (snowcapped mountains, and a route that follows the beautiful Payette River). There's even an "open air" car that is WONDERFUL on the warmer days (though I don't perform on it--wind!). A lounge car with tables and chairs serving snacks and beverages (adult and otherwise), a separate dining car with tables and chairs and a few cars with "standard" train seats. It a blast of nostalgia, beauty, good food and magic all rolled into one!

If you plan to ride, just make sure to contact me so I can tell you what dates I'll be performing.
My Lybrary Page
n3cromanc3r
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of n3cromanc3r
Man that sounds to cool. Great gig. Have a blast!! This is what memories are made of.
saxmangeoff
View Profile
Veteran user
Moscow, ID, USA
353 Posts

Profile of saxmangeoff
Quote:
On 2005-03-20 17:52, Scott F. Guinn wrote:
Just be advised that I don't do "magician's magic," I do "real people" magic, so don't expect to see advante garde moves or dazzling technique!

"Real people magic" is the best kind of magic!

:)

Geoff
"You must practice your material until it becomes boring, then practice it until it becomes beautiful." -- Bill Palmer
steve ehlers
View Profile
Loyal user
Tucson AZ
287 Posts

Profile of steve ehlers
I haven't worked on a train but I have done a couple of charter buses from Phoenix to Tucson which is about a 90 minute ride.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6586 Posts

OK, next night I'm on is April 9, 2005 (Sat)at 6:00PM. If you'd like to come along, call the Thunder Mountain Line for Reservations - Schedules - Fares: (877)IDA-RAIL or (208)793-4425. You board at the Horseshoe Bend Depot, 120 Mill Road, (mail to: PO Box 487) Horseshoe Bend, Idaho 83629. For more info and photos go to their website:

http://www.thundermountainline.com/index.htm

Posted: Apr 10, 2005 12:53am
-------------------------------------------------------------------
The gig tonight was great. lightly attended--only about 20 people on the train. There is usually 50 -100 or more. But that meant I got to spend more time with the folks who were on board. It was a lot of fun!

One thing that was particularly telling. A guy from a larger family (grandma, her two daughters and their husbands, and each of those couples' teenage sons--about 10 or 12 altogether) mentioned that he'd seen a magician before at a party, and he was surprised that I was actually entertaining as well as amazing!

One of the most fun things about a train gig is what I call the "Disneyland Syndrome." You're in a supermarket or a restaurant or at a gas station, and there's all these people around you that you don't speak to and they don't interact with you. Get all those same people together (not as a single group, mind you, but as strangers) at Disneyland, and they laugh, talk and interact. Same thing on a train--it's like folks are just waiting for the spark to get the interaction going, and then everyone starts interacting with each other! I like it much better than my restaurant gigs, even though in many ways it's similar and as far as performing on the technical side it is more difficult because of the motion of the train. This may be my favorite "steady gig" ever!
My Lybrary Page
n3cromanc3r
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of n3cromanc3r
Very cool.. are you going to get some pics?
Danny T.
View Profile
New user
New York
39 Posts

Profile of Danny T.
Hey Scott F. Guinn. I like your quote. good luck with you gig.
Magic is a dream in which we put ourselves in the fantasy of the reality that surrounds us. It's a wishful thinking that all human kind posses. It's life itself. And I for one believe in it.
Danny T.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6586 Posts

I'm on again May 21 for the "general public" train, and then again for a charter on the 25th. If anyone is in the area on the 21st, I'd love to have you along!

UPDATE

OK, the train I'm on this Saturday is not the usual Horseshoe Bend to Banks run. It is the Cascade to Smith's Ferry run. I'm also scheduled for the other run on June 4 and August 27.
My Lybrary Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Killer train gig (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL